My experience getting gigabit fibre with Octotel and Vanilla

donaldza

Hi all, before I got my fibre I found it quite tricky to find the information I wanted about the process, speeds, etc on getting Octotel fibre, specifically the gigabit package. Now that I have it, I want to share the information with the forum just in case there are any others like me out there wondering how it all works and what to expect.

Link to post: https://www.ddj.co.za/archives/375/getting-gigabit-fibre-octotel

Feel free to comment/discuss here.

Quick speedtest result:

Attachments

phil77

Hi all, before I got my fibre I found it quite tricky to find the information I wanted about the process, speeds, etc on getting Octotel fibre, specifically the gigabit package. Now that I have it, I want to share the information with the forum just in case there are any others like me out there wondering how it all works and what to expect.

Link to post: https://www.ddj.co.za/archives/375/getting-gigabit-fibre-octotel

Feel free to comment/discuss here.

Quick speedtest result:
Why are the uploads so slow? What are the speeds to international servers e.g. London

marlin178

Expert Member
It's crazy how reasonable that is considering some of the options here in Jozi..

Ave price is +-R1200 PM for an uncapped 100/50 connection through Fibrehoods

It's crazy how reasonable that is considering some of the options here in Jozi..

Ave price is +-R1200 PM for an uncapped 100/50 connection through Fibrehoods
They seem to only be reasonable on the gigabit package other than that the pricing is horrendous.

donaldza

So I decided to replace the Mikrotik router with a pfSense based firewall to try max out the speeds of the line without having to sacrifice QoS features. Now getting around 922 megabit/second download speed (basically wire speed) and no buffer bloat on the uplink as pfSense supports shaping/QoS at this rate.

Using FQ_CODEL if anyone cares. Wouldn't be necessary really if the upload speeds were a bit more generous but it is what it is. I'd imagine something like 200 megabit upload speed with Octotel would eliminate the need for QoS almost entirely? anyone have that speed still have ping issues under load?

donaldza

Mmm, 'Up to 1000Mbps / 25Mbps'

Does that mean from 0Mbs to 1000Mbs?
I think that just means what their network is capable of, ISP would potentially limit you perhaps? The connection itself lives up to that 1000 down 25 up speed though. If you test your gigabit LAN you will see you will most likely get around 945 mbit/sec through a switch. If you have really high quality gear (Intel NICs and good switches) the best I've seen is 965 mbps iperf on LAN.