My journey to renewable energy - Solar

Speedster

Honorary Master
I'm getting about 65% efficiency out my almost flat mounted panels with the cape winter sun. Also quite happy with the outcome.

Another 23.5 kWh solar production today. View attachment 889024
Looking at that image your panels don't seem to be all that flat. That looks around about 20 degrees or so.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I'm getting about 65% efficiency out my almost flat mounted panels with the cape winter sun. Also quite happy with the outcome.

Another 23.5 kWh solar production today. View attachment 889024
what panels are those on the left in that pic of the house? i can see your vacuum tubes on the right by the chimney.

edit: nevermind, saw your reply. pool heater.

AchmatK

Executive Member
what panels are those on the left in that pic of the house? i can see your vacuum tubes on the right by the chimney.
Pool solar heating.

Basically just black PVC pipes that heats up and the pool pump circulates the water through them. They transfers the heat in the pipe to the water as it passes through them.

Heats up my pool to about 32° in summer. Not good for day time swimming but very nice in the long summer evenings. We often in the pool till past 10pm in summer.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Pool solar heating.

Basically just black PVC pipes that heats up and the pool pump circulates the water through them. They transfers the heat in the pipe to the water as it passes through them.

Heats up my pool to about 32° in summer. Not good for day time swimming but very nice in the long summer evenings. We often in the pool till past 10pm in summer.
i'm surprised the pool pump can pump up that high.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Looking at it now, I think it's close to 50°.

There was no way I was going to attempt to put solar panels up there with just myself and brother.

Carport was the easier option. I climbed up there once to see what the view was like as I want to eventually put in some dormer windows with rooms in the attic space.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Just remember. Shading bad. The chimney and tree's look like they will cause issues at different times of the day.

DeShizz

/soobs

Very nice OP. I've wanted solar for years but the hoops you have to jump through are apparently a nightmare with COJ/City Power.

Which reminds me, are you seperating your "grid" DB from your solar DB? I read some time ago you had to have the two "grids" separated to stop backfeeding.

P.S what system are you using for energy monitoring at DB level?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
/soobs

Very nice OP. I've wanted solar for years but the hoops you have to jump through are apparently a nightmare with COJ/City Power.

Which reminds me, are you seperating your "grid" DB from your solar DB? I read some time ago you had to have the two "grids" separated to stop backfeeding.

just do it. it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. :ROFL:

DeShizz

just do it. it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. :ROFL:
Ja, until you need to sell your house and pay money to have it converted...

I would do a grid tie microinverter system anyway but how do you stop backfeed?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
/soobs

What hoops do you have to jump through with City Power?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Ja, until you need to sell your house and pay money to have it converted...

I would do a grid tie microinverter system anyway but how do you stop backfeed?
what's the point of that? you'll still sit in the dark during loadshedding.

DeShizz

What hoops do you have to jump through with City Power?
From my understanding of the regulations that they have, you have to have a separate solar DB that runs off your solar system. This would be for things like lights, computers and fridges etc. Then you have to have a Grid DB for heavy loads like oven and geyser. This forces you to size up the solar system as high as possible with batteries so you never have your solar DB off.

I think you can get around this by having a transfer switch between the two DB's... but this sort of defeats the purpose of true hybrid PV generation that blends seamlessly with the grid supply.

what's the point of that? you'll still sit in the dark during loadshedding.
Cheap to start and expandable. If you look at a system like Enphase has you can also do batteries independently of the solar system. So long as the panels/inverters can communicate with the battery inverter you're golden (This is actually how Tesla's PowerWall 2 does it apparently too).

TheChamp

Honorary Master
From my understanding of the regulations that they have, you have to have a separate solar DB that runs off your solar system. This would be for things like lights, computers and fridges etc. Then you have to have a Grid DB for heavy loads like oven and geyser. This forces you to size up the solar system as high as possible with batteries so you never have your solar DB off.

I think you can get around this by having a transfer switch between the two DB's... but this sort of defeats the purpose of true hybrid PV generation that blends seamlessly with the grid supply.

Cheap to start and expandable. If you look at a system like Enphase has you can also do batteries independently of the solar system. So long as the panels/inverters can communicate with the battery inverter you're golden (This is actually how Tesla's PowerWall 2 does it apparently too).
I think you are misinformed, but do post the links when you get time, I could have missed something.

Last edited: