My journey to renewable energy - Solar

Neuk_

Expert Member
I think that is just a configuration difference. My lounge aircon, oven and geyser is "AC Loads" while everything else falls under "critical". We did make a few changes to my existing DB board just to split the loads.
We have a similar physical setup, oven, bedroom A/C and two sets of plugs in the kitchen are on the non-critical side of the inverter with everything else on critical. We don't have LiFePo batteries though so the ESS setup will be different, maybe that is the reason.

Neuk_

Expert Member
We have a similar physical setup, oven, bedroom A/C and two sets of plugs in the kitchen are on the non-critical side of the inverter with everything else on critical. We don't have LiFePo batteries though so the ESS setup will be different, maybe that is the reason.
@eye_suc, I checked with @Sinbad who also has Victron equipment, it looks like a physical setup difference of the inverter.

signates

Executive Member
@eye_suc, I checked with @Sinbad who also has Victron equipment, it looks like a physical setup difference of the inverter.
I think you might need a CT sensor connected to the main feed in order for the inverter to pickup the loads before the inverter so it can send power to loads before the inverter without feeding back to the grid.

Not sure how the victron does zero export.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Check under your ESS settings on your Viktron, you should have a setting with grid meter installed. See if this is switched off and if it is, switch it on. It should break your diagram down to critical and AC load

With grid meter installed switched on

1597151610688.png

with grid meter installed switched off
1597151669033.png

Neuk_

Expert Member
I think you might need a CT sensor connected to the main feed in order for the inverter to pickup the loads before the inverter so it can send power to loads before the inverter without feeding back to the grid.

Not sure how the victron does zero export.
As far as I am aware, we have no loads before the inverter, mains is fed in to the inverter and it is then split between critical and non-critical loads, critical loads can be fed by mains, battery or PV with non-critical only being fed by mains.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes, that last bit is true. Solar on pre-paid is an issue. But guys do, do it. As for the back feeding, The setup will have very very minimal back feeding, not enough to turn a light bulb on I believe. I have no ambitions to travel down that road. Happy to let the excess energy generated go to "waste" until I get enough storage for it to run the house in the evenings on the Pylontechs.
Wait I'm on prepaid? So I'd have to split the DB?

signates

Executive Member
Wait I'm on prepaid? So I'd have to split the DB?
If you put the inverter between the prepaid meter and all loads after the inverter, you can set it to never feed back.

The issue comes in when you have loads before the inverter that you want to power from excess solar.

When these loads before the inverter are switched off, it takes a while for the inverter to recognise this and there is a potential for some of the electricity to flow back through the prepaid meter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If you put the inverter between the prepaid meter and all loads after the inverter, you can set it to never feed back.

The issue comes in when you have loads before the inverter that you want to power from excess solar.

When these loads before the inverter are switched off, it takes a while for the inverter to recognise this and there is a potential for some of the electricity to flow back through the prepaid meter.
So looking into it, everything will run through the inverter? Which will automatically pull from what ever source it has excess from? Being the grid, batteries or PV?

signates

Executive Member
So looking into it, everything will run through the inverter? Which will automatically pull from what ever source it has excess from? Being the grid, batteries or PV?
Yes.

PV first then either battery or grid depending how its configured.

Tander

Executive Member
The install went well. The guys managed to mounted all the electrical stuff. Tomorrow it’s panels to be mounted, battery and cabling.

DE8FBFF6-E2DC-405F-9386-571ADF4E6E88.jpeg
Bit dirty from the work today. Will clean up and finish cabling tomorrow. :D