My journey to renewable energy - Solar

cfvh600

Expert Member
We did a load test and ran the outside geyser to get to temp, handled the load like a champ.
I had loadshedding again, so went to bug @Tander and his renewable energy.
Awesome! Very stable output. Could easily do more than 22kWh per day with more loads or battery capacity.

Gielie01

Awesome! Very stable output. Could easily do more than 22kWh per day with more loads or battery capacity.

Youd have to ask @Tander but if I recall it was at 22kwh production just before 5PM, that includes charging the battery and runni9ng the geyser, also includes a large stint of not using production to it full capacity, was well impressed with the system, we put lots of time and research into components, and it outperformed what we expected yesterday. His roof is very much suited to solar, system was still producing 700/800w at 16:45

Priapus

Executive Member

As @Gielie01 mentioned, there was probably around 3hrs or so where I was not using the system to its max PV generation (No loads to put on lol) - I finished the day off with 22Kw/h - I think I could get to 25Kw/h.

Battery is fully charged by 10am. Maybe with 2 it will take longer to charge. Will be getting another one probably first week of September.

The system preformed very well yesterday and we were just super impressed by it. Learnt a lot on this journey.

TedLasso

Expert Member
As @Gielie01 mentioned, there was probably around 3hrs or so where I was not using the system to its max PV generation (No loads to put on lol) - I finished the day off with 22Kw/h - I think I could get to 25Kw/h.

Battery is fully charged by 10am. Maybe with 2 it will take longer to charge. Will be getting another one probably first week of September.

The system preformed very well yesterday and we were just super impressed by it. Learnt a lot on this journey.
Awesome . Is there a post which shows what equipment, your system is using . At 22kwh, it would cover my daily usage in summer easily. Thx

Priapus

Executive Member
Awesome . Is there a post which shows what equipment, your system is using . At 22kwh, it would cover my daily usage in summer easily. Thx

If you start from Page 1 of this thread, it will show you my full system install and equipment from start to finish.

DeShizz

The issue isn't the splitting of the DB. The pre-paid meters are very sensitive to back feeding. Its an anti-tamper "feature" of the device. So, the tiniest bit of back feeding and they trip.
What if you don't feedback to the grid? Surely that can be done?

Besides the technical reasons for not wanting to do solar on prepaid (meters are sensitive and trip etc.) is there a regulatory reason not to do so? i.e a City Power or National regulation that forbids installing on prepaid?

Priapus

Executive Member
Besides the technical reasons for not wanting to do solar on prepaid (meters are sensitive and trip etc.) is there a regulatory reason not to do so? i.e a City Power or National regulation that forbids installing on prepaid?

Yes I believe there is regulation to state that it’s not legal. I’ll try find the SANS document tomorrow.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Turns out this Inverter blends PV and Battery when there is not enough PV to carry the load. And only if those two are not enough, will it switch to the grid.
See if it can blend solar and grid and use battery last?

Priapus

Executive Member
See if it can blend solar and grid and use battery last?

Inverter doesn’t blend grid at all. The more expensive ones like the Victron do though. I’m happy it blends with battery. It’s not often that it happens but at least it’s not switching to grid.

Priapus

Executive Member
Today was a good day. Second Pylontech arrived. Took an hour or so to balance the SoC between the two batteries. Hoping for clear skies tomorrow so they can be charged up on the PV.

Should be able to run the house for 6hrs now in the evening with a load of around 900w or so.

IMG_5109.jpg IMG_5105.jpg

AchmatK

Executive Member
Today was a good day. Second Pylontech arrived. Took an hour or so to balance the SoC between the two batteries. Hoping for clear skies tomorrow so they can be charged up on the PV.

Should be able to run the house for 6hrs now in the evening with a load of around 900w or so.

View attachment 905292 View attachment 905290
What was the SOC of the new and old batteries when you started the balancing process?

Going to add another one to my current 3 battery bank and just wondering if I should let the existing 3 first be as close to the new one before doing the balancing.

Priapus

Executive Member
What was the SOC of the new and old batteries when you started the balancing process?

Going to add another one to my current 3 battery bank and just wondering if I should let the existing 3 first be as close to the new one before doing the balancing.

I drained my older battery to 65% SOC before doing the balancing. New pylontechs ship with 65 ~ 70% SOC so wanted them to be close. Which is why balancing was quick.

Priapus

Executive Member
900w in the evening wow.

Yeah, my network cabinet + server takes 400w of that. Runs 3 PoE Unifi APs, 4 PoE IP Cameras, Unifi 24 Port PoE switch and the router. Then the server it self that has various VMs on it.

Outside LED flood lights x 4, pool light, in-door lights, tv...etc it adds up.