My paypal account has been hacked! What do I do?

kdub

Hi all

A few minutes ago I received an email saying that my password on paypal has been changed and then a couple of minutes later another mail saying my security question's answers have been changed :erm: So I can't get into my account because the only way of resetting your password is through security questions and the only contact number i can find is an international one and my phone can't dial international numbers. What do I do? I don't really use paypal but i'm not sure what information is on there that can be stolen used.

HELP!

LCBXX

Honorary Master
You were told to change your PW'ds some time back due to the Paypal breach...

Do you have money in the account? If no, just call your bank to remove the authorization from whatever card you linked. Not much the new owner can do from there.

Electric

Honorary Master
Send them a mail or contact the US when you get a chance.
The folks at paypal are very helpful.
I called them a month back and got excellent service.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Call the FNB Pypal support line, they will put you through to a US agent. 2 months ago I put throug a R8000 transaction to a ABC@hotmail.co.uk, went off my account , 5 mins later a duplicate one ABCS@hotmail.com went off as well.

kdub

Ok very frustrating... called paypal US and got transferred from one department to the next until eventually I just hung up. Will deal with fraudulent transactions if and when they happen. I don't use the account much at all and don't have money in it. Will just monitor my credit cards really closely.

Totempole

Expert Member
Hi all

A few minutes ago I received an email saying that my password on paypal has been changed and then a couple of minutes later another mail saying my security question's answers have been changed :erm: So I can't get into my account because the only way of resetting your password is through security questions and the only contact number i can find is an international one and my phone can't dial international numbers. What do I do? I don't really use paypal but i'm not sure what information is on there that can be stolen used.

HELP!

My Paypal account got hacked on Feb 2011. I had over $1000 in the account, but they left that and went straight for my credit card and took over R11,000 in a single transaction. They didn't change my password though, so I was still able to log in and report the transaction. I then reported it to the bank.

Then I tried phoning PayPal, who seems to have a voice activated service and doesn't support our touch tone phones properly. I don't remember how I did it. (all still a blur), but eventually I got through to someone.

All of this was done within 15 minutes of the incident (luckily I was at home). PayPal froze my account for all of 30 minutes, and then unfroze it. Still doin't know why they unfroze it so quickly, since it was still vulnerable.

The next day they phoned me to confirm exactly what happened. and then said that they would refund me within a week.

Within 3 days I had my money back.

My point is, it's best to stay on top of these things. If you got a notification to say your password and secret question has been changed, then you've almost certainly been hacked.

Totempole

Expert Member
You were told to change your PW'ds some time back due to the Paypal breach...

Do you have money in the account? If no, just call your bank to remove the authorization from whatever card you linked. Not much the new owner can do from there.

Ebay only, not PayPal. As long as your Ebay and Paypal passwords are different of course.

noob_saibot

Ok very frustrating... called paypal US and got transferred from one department to the next until eventually I just hung up. Will deal with fraudulent transactions if and when they happen. I don't use the account much at all and don't have money in it. Will just monitor my credit cards really closely.

This is the WRONG thing to do.

Stealing from your account is not the only thing they can do. Impersonation is another one. They could start buying things using your name, placing you into some FBI/Interpol watchlist.

As others have suggested, try going through FNB or email PayPal from the email account that was initially attached to the account. That way, you can say "Hey, this is the real me and my account got hijacked by someone/something I don't know. Please fix the issue/close the account.".

Do everything you can to fix it!

Electric

Honorary Master
I didn't have any issues when dealing with Paypal in the US.
Spoke to a really nice Hispanic guy.

surface

Honorary Master
If I was you, I would call FNB to cancel credit card linked to paypal and issue new ones. It will probably cost you hundred rands but will be worth peace of mind.