My personal "Daily" review on the Nokia N8 Received from @NokiaRSA and #N8ReviewZA

Piesang

Executive Member
http://n8reviewza.tk/ http://n8reviewza.tk/

Day 1 - 17 Nov 2010

I received a call this morning from the office telling me that the Nokia N8 has just been
delivered. I couldn't wait to get to the office but first had some "daddy duties" that needed to be done.

Ok, so I got to the office. On my desk I see a box with a brand spanking new Green Nokia N8 and
a Original Nokia N8 Silicone Cover.

First things first. I opened the box and first checked the contents. The following accessories are in the box:

1. Green Nokia N8
2. Wall Charger
3. Car Charger
4. USB Cable
5. Mini HDMI to HDMI Converter Cable
6. Mini USB to USB Converter Cable
7. A set of decent in-ear headphones
8. CD Rom
9. Manual and OVI Guide
10. And then also the Unlimited Music Downloads for 6 Months that only Nokia give to their clients

Then everything as usual, I put the sim card in, start-up the N8 and do the normal setup, date, time, etc...

I realize the build quality of the Nokia N8 is the best I've ever felt. The Anodized Aluminum Casing
feels solid and at 135grams you know that you have a rock solid phone in your hand.

First I look at the beautiful AMOLED 16M colours display. The 3.5inch, 360x640pixel display is just awesome. The 3 different screens
that changes background when you go to the next one is also a nice feature in Symbian^3. The widgets is also something that I'm
not used to in a Nokia phone. Maybe some N97 owners have seen this before.

Immediately setup the wifi network because I really don't want to get a huge bill and I know that I'm going to play with the N8 a lot.
Wifi setup is a breeze. Setup the phone that it only uses my wifi connection for data.

Some of the features that I've tested first. Not fully tested though, just played around with it, is:

The 12MP Carl Zeiss Optics Autofocus Camera with Xenon Flash. The photo quality is awesome. But like I said, I only played with it
for a while. I will take some decent photos with it the coming days.

The 720p HD Video Camera also have stunning capturing quality. Even in low light the video quality is still good. Something that most
phones and also some decent high spec video cameras has a problem with. Same as with the camera I will do some decent tests on this.

Video playback of the included videos/previews is superb quality. Can't wait to hook this baby up with my FullHD TV tonight
when I get home. Playback is smooth, as well as forward and rewind or jumping to a specific time in the preview.

The speaker quality is nice and loud. Like all Nokias you don't have a problem hearing this baby when it askes you to pick her up.
Playing music through the phones loudspeaker is also something I will do more often. iPhone fanboys please don't hate me, but
I must say that the N8's loudspeaker and playback quality is muchh better. How do I know that? Because I have one.

The Touch Screen is on par with the iPhone. We all know that the iPhone has probably the best Touch Screen available but the
Nokia N8 really does feel the same. Selecting a application is quick and easy and it opens without you having to wait. No such
things as having to press again because it didn't registered the first press. When sliding through the screen the action is immediately.
Absolutely no lag at all.

So far I've setup my Facebook and Twitter accounts on the Nokia N8 and I have all my updates on my home screen. One click gives you
all you social feeds and you can go to your Facebook or Twitter account and jump between the two with no problem at all.

As the days go by I will post new stuff here for those of you who are interested. Please no bashing of this thread as I'm just giving my
personal opinion of what I think about the Nokia N8.

Day 1 - Part 2

Ok, so I've downloaded around about 1GB of tracks from the OVI store with my Unlimited acount. Transfered it to "my" N8 was very easy.
The Music Player is easier to use than my iPhone. The whole interface of the N8's Music Player is nicer than that of my iPhone. Playing the
songs through the N8's FM transmitter is also a very nice option. Very nice option for the car. It means that I don't have to carry any
cables around and I can also play the songs from my N8 in my friends' cars as well.

The GPS worked perfectly. Very accurate only problem I have is the OVI Maps. I don't know if I'm just plain stupid but I'm unable to
find places. If I type a address into the search bar then it gives me all results except for what I'm looking for. Maybe some of you
guys that's used to OVI Maps can help me with that.

I'm going to test the HDMI in about 30minutes. I will post that info tomorrow.

OK OK OK!!!!

I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I couldn't even wait 30minutes. lol. I quickly did a test on my Full HD TV. The quality is good, not as good
as watching a BluRay movie but definately better than watching a DVD on a Full HD LCD TV. All the other functions like playing games,
music, etc... looks good on the LCD. Not something I will use all the time though. Just watching movies and photos that I take with the N8.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Day 2 - 18 Nov 2010

Ok, so far for today.

I installed Opera Mobile 10 and its working. I don't know what kind of problems people were experiencing but I can open a website, type in
portrait and landscape mode, etc... So as far as I'm concerned, Opera Mobile 10 works perfectly on the N8.

Another app I installed is "Level". I had it on my iPhone 3GS as well and I must say that the N8 is definately more accurate. I can see clearly
that when I hold both phones horizontal next to each other that the iPhone is at a very slight angle.

A few tests in the sun is always a must. The AMOLED screen is 100% viewable in direct sunlight. You don't have to block out the sun with
your one hand. So to type messages in Landscape mode with the QWERTY onscreen keyboard is not a problem.

As for taking pictures outdoors. Well, it's perfect, you can view the picture on your screen without trying to figure out what your looking at.
The screen is perfectly clear.

Day 2 - Part 2

As Hawker requested. Here is my review of the Call quality and Office apps. Like I said, I will give info about the battery by Monday.

Call quality on the N8 is like all other Nokias. I really don't think that there is a phone on the market that has got the same call quality as
a Nokia. And I had plenty of Nokias before. Only once today I was busy with a call and the sound went away for a split second. I can't put
my finger on what happened really. It could be reception, it could be the person on the other side, it could be a software issue. Don't
know, it only did it once though so the idea that it could be a reception issue for that split second sounds right to me. Will keep you
updated on this if it happens again.

The installed office apps is fine. You are only able to view files though. I don't know if the full version will also have the pinch zoom
but the installed document viewers doesn't have it. It will be great though if the pinch zoom will be available in the full version.

To get back to the reception as mentioned in the call quality. I haven't once seen the N8 out of 3G mode. Doesn't matter how low the
signal goes it stays in 3G. And I have dual mode activated. The overall reception is excellent. My BB Torch sometimes go to EDGE
where the N8 still have 3G reception and my iPhone 3GS sometimes looses it's reception totally. What I like about the N8 is that I can
hold it anyway I want to. lol

I must also agree with Mike Hoxbig. When the phone is lying on its back the speaker is much softer than when it's lying face down. And face
down is not something you would do with this phone, or any other touch screen phone. But luckily the overall speaker volume is loud enough
so it isn't really a very big issue.

Day 2 - Part 3

I'm almost on my way home. The battery is still holding up nicely. It is at 50% now. Here is how the battery worked so far:
(Also remember that the N8's wifi is on 24/7)

1. Got it out of the box with charge on it.
2. I used the phone until the battery was very low.
3. I put it on charge yesterday afternoon and it was fully charged at about 17:30.
4. I used it the rest of yesterday (after 17:30) and so far the whole day today.
5. I'll try to drain it totally before I can go to bed to put it on a full charge cycle until tomorrow morning. That should give the battery a nice charge.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Day 3 - 19 Nov 2010

The battery so far:

Last night I was trying to drain the battery of the N8 but no luck. I tried everything, playing movies, playing music,
making calls, browsing the internet, using the widgets online, etc... Unfortunately I got tired before the phone did.
So I switched the phone off, plugged in the charger at about 00:45 and then it showed that there is 10% charge left.
So I left in on charge until about 9:00 this morning.

So today I'm not going to work. I'm just going to put all the features through some testing.
@sandmanm34, I'll do the direct sunlight test again to confirm.

Continue here: http://tinyurl.com/29mkqb3

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Two guys in my office got theirs today so I ordered and paid for mine via Nokiastuff.co.za
Not sure how long they take to deliver but I am even more eager to get mine after reading your review ;)

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Didn't you have to charge the battery like 16 hours before using the phone??

Piesang

Executive Member
Didn't you have to charge the battery like 16 hours before using the phone??

I haven't done that for ages. The way to do it is to play with the phone when you get it out of the box until the battery goes very low then give it a few good charge / discharge cycles.

Rands

Expert Member
One of the most important things is battery life. No matter how many fancy features a phone has, if it does not get through the day, then its not worth it.
Please let us know how the battery performs....u lucky devil!

Piesang

Executive Member
One of the most important things is battery life. No matter how many fancy features a phone has, if it does not get through the day, then its not worth it.
Please let us know how the battery performs....u lucky devil!

I will surely do that. Got it with a bit of charge out of the box. Battery is almost dead now so I'm going to put it on charge now for a good cycle and then I'll be watching the battery for the next view days. Do come back here daily to see the review.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You won't be dissappointed at all. I'm very impressed.

I'm impressed with mine as well, however it's still a bit buggy which I'm sure will be sorted out in an update. I've had it restart on me once, there's a long delay when switching from portrait to landscape (esp when typing in text), and I've also been booted out of the browser a few times (it would close the browser app and disconnect my internet connection).

hawker

Honorary Master
I will surely do that. Got it with a bit of charge out of the box. Battery is almost dead now so I'm going to put it on charge now for a good cycle and then I'll be watching the battery for the next view days. Do come back here daily to see the review.

Definitely going to check back in to see your daily updates :)

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
Have you installed Opera Mobile yet?

it works okay until you have to input a new word / spell it out in a text field, then the onscreen keyboard freezes and you can only kill it by cycling through the task manager.
haven't encountered this anywhere else, so i guess it's an opera bug.

hd out is definitely one of the understated features of this phone - piesang, give the included tron trailer a spin on your hd tv and make sure your 5.1 is plugged in.
battery life is good due to the leaner processor. can get about 2 days out of mine.
camera's great, and pinch zoom and threaded messaging is finally here for symbian.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
The battery life is great, im busy doing my battery test today, and so far so good.
I would not suggest installing Opera Mini5 beta for Symbian, it crashes all the time on the N8, ive also not tried Mobile yet, its such a resource hog on the 5800 im afraid it maybe the same on the N8, the Opera Team realy need to work on their software as im now using UCWeb7.4 and it works beautifuly on the N8.

Great 1st part review Piesang :)

Rands

Expert Member
Piesang, did u make an unboxing video? I know that youtube is full of them but any review has to have an unboxing vid, right?

Piesang

Executive Member
Piesang, did u make an unboxing video? I know that youtube is full of them but any review has to have an unboxing vid, right?

LOL. There's too many of those on the internet. The unboxing videos are for the guys who likes to be bring out the "drama queens" in themselves. Everybody knows what a box looks like and what it looks like when you open it.

Piesang

Executive Member
Do you know if it can play videos with subtitles?

Not sure what you mean by that. Usually when I get movies in divx etc... that contains subtitles it plays on all devices with the subtitles. So I'm sure it will play on the N8 as well.