My Router is restricting me to 2Mbps

Winga

I have an old Billion 800VGT that has got tired so i decided to upgrade my router to a Netgear N300 (DGN2200Mv2) to be exact. The router is brand new, i got it from Telkom on Sunday.

I am on a 4 meg line and have always averaged speeds of between 3.2 to 3.5 Mbps on the Billion.
As soon as I changed to the Netgear router the best speed I've achieved is 1.8 Mbps.

The router status screen shows downstream speeds of 2112 kbps and upstream speeds of 512. It almost seems like a static setting. Its not my ISP and its not Telkom, I've shaken both those trees and have been given assurances that all is well on their side.

So here's the kicker, if I swap back to the Billion I go right back to 3.5 Mbps. Switch to netgear and I'm lucky to get 1.8

Has anyone else experienced this problem with this router or does anyone know how to fix it short of returning the router.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
the router can be fault and not be able to sync your line higher , check your SNR value under the modem stats.

Some netgears is just bad!

Winga

@ Rickster - ISP's queue too long to have patience to wait and ask if im on ADSL2+however I have unchecked the block for ADSL2+ under modulation settings and rechecked. Makes no difference. Also if that was a problem surely the Billion would be slave to the same thing?

@ hereticangel - I have no idea where to find these stats in my router, however I have been in communication with our local telkom guys and they tell me my SNR is above 7db if they to be believed.
Maybe you right some Netgears is just bad :p