My Samsung Galaxy S not receiving calls

Uraeus

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S on contract with vodacom,
and the phone is starting to play up a bit.

My phone seems to be putting people straight onto voice mail ("The subscriber you have dailled is not available at present") instead on making my phone ring. I will get an SMS shortly after from vodacom
telling me I missed the call, i.e.

" - Missed calls - etc etc etc".

This is an intermittent problem with it, but it happens often. I read people where having similar problems with it (The phone), and they suggested that the 3G/HSDPA could be causing it and to put the phone onto GSM only which has lovely GPRS speeds.

I have done this and it does not help, and it is really getting out of hand. :crying:
Its nice to have a nice n snappy phone, but it dont mean squat if it cant receive calls on demand!

I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems with it? And if not, what would be your course of action. I have installed the OCLF, but that is it when it comes to rooting or whatever, but this can be removed AFIAK.

Cicero

Expert Member
To be honest.... I get these problems on my Sony Ericsson on Vodacom for a while now, more and more over the past couple of months. So my feeling here that the weakest link is Vodacom!

Maddmatt

Expert Member
How good is your phone's reception there? Any chance it's losing signal? Does it depend on what area you're in?
Vodacom might be the problem, or a faulty phone?

Try updating firmware in case. Remove OCLF before updating or you'll lose all your data (actually you might lose it anyway).
If you do have to take your phone in to Vodacom make sure you have unrooted it and removed OCLF.

Uraeus

It just does not make sense to me. I am getting full bars at -81dBm and 16asu.
I know the signal is like a 1000 times worse than a blackberry, friend gets like -45dBm on his blackberry.

If I can get GPRS, then why cant get a simple call? Likewise with 3G/HSPDA. Surely the network priority is voice and not data? I think it would just be a pain in the neck to get it serviced cos they will just put standard firmware on and tell me to be on my way.

Going to clean out phone this week and take it in next week. Then I will be 3 weeks without my phone.
Darn. :sick:

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Maybe try using the SIM in another phone for a while? Then you can see if it's the network or the phone.

nu11

I have a Galaxy S also with Vodacom and I have no complaints regarding phone calls being missed or anything of that nature maybe the network is the problem in the area where you live?

ant5

I had this issue very regularly on an N97 with Vodacom. I exchanged it for a Galaxy and although it still happens, it is much less often. I think it's a network issue....