MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
CT riders, how about we schedule a ride somewhere? We recently moved to CT and it's a bit boring not having riding buddies.

My schedule for the next month is an abomination but I would certainly be keen.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Get a kawasaki versys 650. Great bike. Great price. Plus its way manlier than that beginner bike NC 750 :ROFL: (The toyota corolla of the motorcycle world)

I really like the NC! I don't give a **** what other people think about it! Also, helmet space in the bike, a miracle. The Versys, on the other hand - I don't really like it aesthetically, but not to the point where I would not buy it due to that. It's one I am considering, thank you for the suggestion!

copacetic

King of the Hippies
CT riders, how about we schedule a ride somewhere? We recently moved to CT and it's a bit boring not having riding buddies.

I'd dig to, especially while I still have the bigger bike. Last time I was trying to keep up on a 250, it was a struggle...

Terence1983

Advice needed:

Currently riding an 09 Bajaj Pulsar 180, has 6400km on the clock, bought it a few months ago on 1100km, apparently the bike stood for the past 9 years. Rode ok for the first 2000-3000km, changed the oil as per the service manual and it started making nonsense with the carb, felt sluggish so took the carb off and seems the carb has been worked on before, screws were worn out so I battled to get them out, eventually cleaned the carb, bike performed as per before and then for some reason it started intermittently over fueling through the overflow on the carb, battled for a few months to get the carb sorted eventually and ive done approx. 600km since and now its developed an oil leak. Spares are non existent for this bike apparently, bike hospital couldn't even help with a second hand carb for it, they have no stock of these bikes so I doubt id find a gasket kit so now im gatvol.

Just went to rest ride a 2011 Honda CBX 250 twister. Bike has 6xxxxkm on and the bikes motor was done at 5xxxxkm. Bike was definitely dropped, has other crappy higher than stock bars on and aftermarket horrible little mirrors on, however bodywork seems ok, no visible damage or scratching, just looks a bit aged and dull looking polish could sort that out . Other than that it starts first time, idles perfect, took it for a 2km test ride, smooth gearbox through all the gears, decent acceleration, didn't redline it but it felt good through out the rev range until around 8-9k rpm. I have test ridden a CBX before but it turned out to have an engine knock so walked away.

They asking 18k and offered me 8k for my bike on trade (paid a lot more than that for the bike thinking it was a good deal)

A CBX would be more ideal as I travel highway approx. 25km one way each day, 90-95km/h was what I rode the Bajaj as I didn't want to ring its neck and redline it all the way. CBX should cruise around 110-115km/h fairly easily which would help. I cant afford to go bigger (petrol price + finance costs are not on the cards at the moment)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I really like the NC! I don't give a **** what other people think about it! Also, helmet space in the bike, a miracle. The Versys, on the other hand - I don't really like it aesthetically, but not to the point where I would not buy it due to that. It's one I am considering, thank you for the suggestion!
Helmet space lol.
No dude.
That will be full of:
1) Wet weather gear
2) puncture kit
3) various other bits and pieces that are useful to have around
4) shopping

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Advice needed:

Currently riding an 09 Bajaj Pulsar 180, has 6400km on the clock, bought it a few months ago on 1100km, apparently the bike stood for the past 9 years. Rode ok for the first 2000-3000km, changed the oil as per the service manual and it started making nonsense with the carb, felt sluggish so took the carb off and seems the carb has been worked on before, screws were worn out so I battled to get them out, eventually cleaned the carb, bike performed as per before and then for some reason it started intermittently over fueling through the overflow on the carb, battled for a few months to get the carb sorted eventually and ive done approx. 600km since and now its developed an oil leak. Spares are non existent for this bike apparently, bike hospital couldn't even help with a second hand carb for it, they have no stock of these bikes so I doubt id find a gasket kit so now im gatvol.

Just went to rest ride a 2011 Honda CBX 250 twister. Bike has 6xxxxkm on and the bikes motor was done at 5xxxxkm. Bike was definitely dropped, has other crappy higher than stock bars on and aftermarket horrible little mirrors on, however bodywork seems ok, no visible damage or scratching, just looks a bit aged and dull looking polish could sort that out . Other than that it starts first time, idles perfect, took it for a 2km test ride, smooth gearbox through all the gears, decent acceleration, didn't redline it but it felt good through out the rev range until around 8-9k rpm. I have test ridden a CBX before but it turned out to have an engine knock so walked away.

They asking 18k and offered me 8k for my bike on trade (paid a lot more than that for the bike thinking it was a good deal)

A CBX would be more ideal as I travel highway approx. 25km one way each day, 90-95km/h was what I rode the Bajaj as I didn't want to ring its neck and redline it all the way. CBX should cruise around 110-115km/h fairly easily which would help. I cant afford to go bigger (petrol price + finance costs are not on the cards at the moment)

I'd put money on a Honda over a Bajaj any day of the week, however, the one you're looking at has not had the best life by the sound of it. Tough choice but I'd hazard if the CBX ended up in the same situation, parts would be easier to come by, so might be the better proposition.

KingMikel

Expert Member
Advice needed:

Take the CBX. They've been known to do 200k km.

Terence1983

I'd put money on a Honda over a Bajaj any day of the week, however, the one you're looking at has not had the best life by the sound of it. Tough choice but I'd hazard if the CBX ended up in the same situation, parts would be easier to come by, so might be the better proposition.
Yip that's my other point, spares are readily available and cheap (Startline in Edenvale stocks 99% of maintenance items) whereas I cant find Bajaj stuff anywhere.

From what I saw on the CBX, motor was redone properly, no oil leaks or any signs that the motor was even opened up.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Motorcyclist stopped to assist a doggo on the side of the road (N14 towards Pta).

Motorcyclist got hit by a vehicle and passed away. RIP dude.

Danielz1

Just to add my 2c - I also have a Versys. Absolutely love the thing. I had a hit an run about a year ago unfortunately and still haven't sorted it out due to my license expiring etc etc. Got all the papers together to renew and get back on it.

Honestly, I have jumped on a few mates bikes in the same sort of range and I really think the Versys offers the best overall experience in the field. Someone mentioned over heating issues, I can also say I have never experience that.

My only gripe I have with mine is no ABS. Dammit I want to go and ride now!

crysis

Expert Member
Just to add my 2c - I also have a Versys. Absolutely love the thing. I had a hit an run about a year ago unfortunately and still haven't sorted it out due to my license expiring etc etc. Got all the papers together to renew and get back on it.

Honestly, I have jumped on a few mates bikes in the same sort of range and I really think the Versys offers the best overall experience in the field. Someone mentioned over heating issues, I can also say I have never experience that.

My only gripe I have with mine is no ABS. Dammit I want to go and ride now!
Yeah, I miss mine. Was plenty powerful for long distance, very comfortable and super reliable. Also light on fuel. I even took it on a few track days and passed some much more expensive machinery :laugh:. What a versatile machine.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Helmet space lol.
No dude.
That will be full of:
1) Wet weather gear
2) puncture kit
3) various other bits and pieces that are useful to have around
4) shopping
must agree
no space for my helmet in there unless i toss everything out
mine at all times has puncture repair kit, can of chain lube and 3 ratchet straps
then theres the wallet, cellphones, keys and lunch boxes

i can squeeze in a 6 pack after work and thats about it.

my wet riding gear lives in the top box