MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Looking for a recommendation for a scooter please. I'll be changing jobs soon and my commute will now be 8kms.

Given the distance and the fact that i'll be traveling to claremont a scooter seems the best way to save time and money on fuel and running costs.

- Budget will be in and around 20K
- Doesn't have to be new.
- Reliable, good fuel economy, low running costs, parts available etc.
- Getting a "real" bike isnt out of the question but the scooter is easier for the short trip.
- I'd really like a maxi scooter so I can take the SO for the odd ride on the weekends maybe.

I tried checking out gumtree/autotrader etc but the shop windows are quite bear. I dont know if there is a site that i dont know of for bike/scooter buying.

Appreciate the assistance.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
This looks like a winner

Anyone here own or ridden one?

crysis

Expert Member
Pros and cons vs the Jet 14?
The BWS is a proven classic, its 2 stroke as well, so simplier to rebuild and extract more performance, has a big aftermarket, is made in japan. The Jet is plasticy, kinda cheap build quality, made in Taiwan. Now, a lot of people will say there's nothing wrong with that, but ill tell you one thing a BWS can do that no SYM will ever do. Appreciate in value. Bought one for R4k, sold it for R8k. It seems people have cottoned onto the fact that these things are over engineered and prices just don't seem to drop with these little scoots.

Tman*

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Looking for a recommendation for a scooter please. I'll be changing jobs soon and my commute will now be 8kms.

Given the distance and the fact that i'll be traveling to claremont a scooter seems the best way to save time and money on fuel and running costs.

- Budget will be in and around 20K
- Doesn't have to be new.
- Reliable, good fuel economy, low running costs, parts available etc.
- Getting a "real" bike isnt out of the question but the scooter is easier for the short trip.
- I'd really like a maxi scooter so I can take the SO for the odd ride on the weekends maybe.

I tried checking out gumtree/autotrader etc but the shop windows are quite bear. I dont know if there is a site that i dont know of for bike/scooter buying.

Appreciate the assistance.
Dont get a Jonway or Big boy or any Chinese brand. They dont last nearly as good as the Japanese alternatives.

I actually have a Yamaha BWS for sale, will drop you a PM

Urist

Expert Member
Yes , not going to mention the name of the club , we are a laid back club very social once a month meeting , once a month ride ,
We are a structured club with our own club house , open every Wednesday .
We have the usual president , vise president ,treasurer , secretary , sergeant at arms and road captains .
We do not give out patches for nothing , patches have to be earned and the prospect has to show commitment to be patched it takes more than a year to be patched .
Our club is like a family .
Seems like a huge commitment, almost weekly meetings here. Think perpetual 'friend' might be a better option.

FNfal

Executive Member
Seems like a huge commitment, almost weekly meetings here. Think perpetual 'friend' might be a better option.
I started riding with the club with no thought of joining as i have never been in a club and i am not a joiner . After about eight months i changed my mind and paid subs and went through the prospect induction , i was patched a year later.I have been riding motor cycles for more than forty years .

Urist

Expert Member
I started riding with the club with no thought of joining as i have never been in a club and i am not a joiner . After about eight months i changed my mind and paid subs and went through the prospect induction , i was patched a year later.I have been riding motor cycles for more than forty years .
Met with the guys again tonight. Have to say that it's very tempting to become part of something like that. Riding together with a group who's got each-other's backs can be quite exhilarating.

FNfal

Executive Member
Met with the guys again tonight. Have to say that it's very tempting to become part of something like that. Riding together with a group who's got each-other's backs can be quite exhilarating.
Ride with them for a while do not make hasty decisions ,joining a club is a commitment .
You are rite riding in the pack with twenty or thirty other motor cycles is impressive , the day jols are great i have met a lot of nice people . Rallies are hectic . When all the clubs come together and there are 500 riders , that is some thing to see .