MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Volksieboi

Expert Member
The BWS is a proven classic, its 2 stroke as well, so simplier to rebuild and extract more performance, has a big aftermarket, is made in japan. The Jet is plasticy, kinda cheap build quality, made in Taiwan. Now, a lot of people will say there's nothing wrong with that, but ill tell you one thing a BWS can do that no SYM will ever do. Appreciate in value. Bought one for R4k, sold it for R8k. It seems people have cottoned onto the fact that these things are over engineered and prices just don't seem to drop with these little scoots.
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely consider.

Went down the rabbit hole and for my needs (and wants) im thinking of getting suzuki burgman 400, definitley 2nd hand.

If i can just find one. :)

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Dont get a Jonway or Big boy or any Chinese brand. They dont last nearly as good as the Japanese alternatives.

I actually have a Yamaha BWS for sale, will drop you a PM
Thanks bud, will drop u a PM back

crysis

Expert Member
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely consider.

Went down the rabbit hole and for my needs (and wants) im thinking of getting suzuki burgman 400, definitley 2nd hand.

If i can just find one. :)
If you are going to do a Maxi Scooter, you cant go wrong with a Suzuki or a Yamaha T max or equivilent. Just stick with something thats well known and has a strong dealer network. Its the same as buying chinese cars, they are cheap and seem like a good idea untill something goes wrong and you need to use their after sales service.

Tman*

Expert Member
Touch wood, but 20,000 absolutely trouble-free kilometers in the last two years.
good for you man.

I have heard horror stories about reliability and parts availability.

Also, I cant seem not to notice that the bulk of Chinese bikes in mall parking lots always look like poop. Faded plastics info oblivion. Perished rubbers, basically just falling apart. It might have something to do with "who" drives these cheaper models too, but dang it they look terrible after a few years of use!

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
good for you man.

Also, I cant seem not to notice that the bulk of Chinese bikes in mall parking lots always look like poop. Faded plastics info oblivion. Perished rubbers, basically just falling apart. It might have something to do with "who" drives these cheaper models too, but dang it they look terrible after a few years of use!
As I was reading your message I was thinking I need to point this out to you, but that's exactly right. I know a restaurant owner who has a few. His drivers don't give a toss about the way they treat the bikes, so he's given up on maintaining their appearance and written off their entire cost as a business expense. None of the bikes are as old as mine or have as many miles on them, yet they're basically trashed.

crysis

Expert Member
good for you man.

These probably live outside, and get no maintenance. At the end of the day, that is key. But I wouldnt spend more than R5k on one.

kfc4unme

Hi Guys

Looking for a recommendation for a scooter please. I'll be changing jobs soon and my commute will now be 8kms.

Given the distance and the fact that i'll be traveling to claremont a scooter seems the best way to save time and money on fuel and running costs.

- Budget will be in and around 20K
- Doesn't have to be new.
- Reliable, good fuel economy, low running costs, parts available etc.
- Getting a "real" bike isnt out of the question but the scooter is easier for the short trip.
- I'd really like a maxi scooter so I can take the SO for the odd ride on the weekends maybe.

I tried checking out gumtree/autotrader etc but the shop windows are quite bear. I dont know if there is a site that i dont know of for bike/scooter buying.

Appreciate the assistance.
You could probably get a decent Honda cbx 250 twister for R20k

Tickled_Tortise

I paid R22k for mine a few years ago. It had 3000 kms and perfect condition.
I can vouch for a twister, my first bike was a gomoto, even though the members of this group advised against a Chinese bike I thought it was a good deal with only 6k km, it gave me endless issues parts wernt an issue, kickstart stocks all spares for Chinese brands but I got tired of being stuck on the side of the road. I sold it at 8k km and got a twister.

The build quality and solid feel of the twister compared to the Gomoto was unbelievable, even though the Gomoto was 2016 and the twister a 2012 model. Even after upgrading I still love my twister and can't let it go, I still use it every now and then on the commute. Buy Japanese! Chinese bikes are only good for deliveries IMHO.

martin

Expert Member
You could probably get a decent Honda cbx 250 twister for R20k
My brother-in-law picked up a Twister with 12000km on the clock for R11000 two years ago. If you're patient, a real bargain pops up every now and again.

Tickled_Tortise

Maybe it depends on the dealer that assembled it? Mine is a daily commuter to work and back, and I have also taken it for a 300km cruise. It's left me at the side of the road once (I forgot the petcock on reserve...).
Ya, mine could have just been made on a monday, to be fair my issues were all carb / fueling related, the engine ran fine. It was fun to ride offroad but never gave me confidence on the road. There are good reviews online about these small bikes doing long adventure journeys, but I never read too much into a journalists opinion. I have no opinion on Scooters though, iv never used one long term.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Ya, mine could have just been made on a monday, to be fair my issues were all carb / fueling related, the engine ran fine. It was fun to ride offroad but never gave me confidence on the road. There are good reviews online about these small bikes doing long adventure journeys, but I never read too much into a journalists opinion. I have no opinion on Scooters though, iv never used one long term.
I should probably clarify mine isn't a scooter either.

Oddly, mine WAS assembled on a Monday. I purchased the first white one in the country on a Saturday afternoon, and it was assembled on Monday morning for delivery to me on Monday evening.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I should probably clarify mine isn't a scooter either.

Oddly, mine WAS assembled on a Monday. I purchased the first white one in the country on a Saturday afternoon, and it was assembled on Monday morning for delivery to me on Monday evening.
And it still works.
/Runs

FlexSA

Was a tough but good day of racing.
Missed the line up of the 1st heat so ended up starting from pit lane.
Got a 4th place in heat 3 and a 7th over all for the day.