MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Wow that is so sexist! Shame on you ma'am! Shame on you
Oh come off it.

Was a silly joke.

Nobody (man or woman) should ride anything that requires you to sit with your legs propped together in front of you.

kombi-man

Solid commuter. Also has manual or auto gearbox (My big Burgman has this too). Seriously, don't knock them til you've tried them. For some very off reason, (mostly cost related) the Maxi Scooters didn't really take off here in SA, there are only a real handful of Suzuki's, BMW's and Yamaha's in the 500 plus cc range, but they really are superb all-round commuters\touring bikes.
Its just so much easier/more efficient/less stressful,t o simply twist and ride. I also love the folding mirrors on my Burgman, I get through smaller gaps than most bikes. That Honda, under the seat, you can fit two full helmets..
Just dunno about the honda after-sales. have heard really bad reports.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Solid commuter. Also has manual or auto gearbox (My big Burgman has this too). Seriously, don't knock them til you've tried them. For some very off reason, (mostly cost related) the Maxi Scooters didn't really take off here in SA, there are only a real handful of Suzuki's, BMW's and Yamaha's in the 500 plus cc range, but they really are superb all-round commuters\touring bikes.
Its just so much easier/more efficient/less stressful,t o simply twist and ride. I also love the folding mirrors on my Burgman, I get through smaller gaps than most bikes. That Honda, under the seat, you can fit two full helmets..
Just dunno about the honda after-sales. have heard really bad reports.
I have tried them.

It’s not out of ignorance that I make the statement.

The one benefit they have is built in luggage/storage.

Outside of that they are simply too expensive to justify themselves and I simply can’t deal with the seating position beyond all the other compromises.

And it’s always a compromise in all things power and handling for the same money that can be spent elsewhere.

Where it could win out is if they start launching electric options locally.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
You could probably get a decent Honda cbx 250 twister for R20k
Thanks, noted, but i would prefer a scoot :)

Current options I'm considering in no order of preference

New:
- Sym Jet 14 200

Used:
- Suzuki Burgman 400
- Kymco Downtown 300i
- Kymco Xciting 500
- Yamaha BWS (as suggested here, not sure about how different a 2 stroke will be)

FlexSA

Thanks, noted, but i would prefer a scoot :)

Current options I'm considering in no order of preference

New:
- Sym Jet 14 200

Used:
- Suzuki Burgman 400
- Kymco Downtown 300i
- Kymco Xciting 500
- Yamaha BWS (as suggested here, not sure about how different a 2 stroke will be)
BWS 100% . So much fun and great commuters

Just beware of being mistaken for a lady as @SauRoNZA pointed out!

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Trac Mac
Suzuki South
Wicked Cycles

Motorcycle World used to have a good range but it’s been a long while since I’ve been there.
Last question from my side guys. I remember back in the 2000's when i bought my 1st scooter (VUKA 125) that there were a few guys in CT that were selling "grey imports". I remember a guy out in killarney side specifically.

I remember they were selling NC30s left right and centre.

Do these guys or similar still exist? And would getting a bike from them or getting them to source a bike be a reasonable option?

Thanks

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Last question from my side guys. I remember back in the 2000's when i bought my 1st scooter (VUKA 125) that there were a few guys in CT that were selling "grey imports". I remember a guy out in killarney side specifically.

I remember they were selling NC30s left right and centre.

Do these guys or similar still exist? And would getting a bike from them or getting them to source a bike be a reasonable option?

Thanks

This is something useful to have as a bookmark on your phone https://en.vindecoder.pl/RFGBS1CA59SHV1237
you can do a quick VIN check when you are inspecting a bike

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Like you said, there used to be a lot of grey imports (especially honda repsols) a while back. The nice thing about the VIN decoder is that it gives you information about which plant assembled the bike as well

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks

is it because they "Frankenstein" the bikes?
It was usually a case of you had no idea what the history of the bike really was.

Often they were ex race bikes with clocks turned back (or not run at all) and then sold here after the fact as was the case especially with the Honda 400’s.

Other times it’s just the lack of warranty support or bikes not being fitted correctly for our roads (headlights pointing wrong etc).

There isn’t much of a market for it any more I believe.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
It was usually a case of you had no idea what the history of the bike really was.

Often they were ex race bikes with clocks turned back (or not run at all) and then sold here after the fact as was the case especially with the Honda 400’s.

Other times it’s just the lack of warranty support or bikes not being fitted correctly for our roads (headlights pointing wrong etc).

There isn’t much of a market for it any more I believe.
Thanks for the info... that road will not be traversed