MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
RIDDEN: Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Summary

At R398 000, this model is certainly no budget bike. But this is sort of money you can expect to pay for a high-end superbike. Interestingly, Aprilia also offers the RSV RR, with a 1 000 cm3 engine with marginally less impressive performance (at a more palatable price).

It was only a brief introduction, but there's a lot to like about Aprilia’s top superbike. There's certainly enough performance to keep you occupied for the duration of your ownership experience.

Electric cars might be on the way and supercars might cost millions but hopefully there will always be superbikes. For a fraction of the money you can pilot a machine which most of us are unlikely to master in a lifetime ... all while looking hardly out of place parked in the most thoughtfully decorated living room.

FAST FACTS

Model: 2020 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
Price: R398 000
Engine: 1 077 cm3
Power: 160 kW at 13 200 r/min
Torque: 122 N.m at 11 000 r/min
0-100 km/h: +- 3 seconds
Top Speed: 305 km/h (claimed)
Fuel Consumption: n/a
CO2: n/a
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Warranty: 2-years/unlimited mileage

Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1.jpgAprilia RSV4 Factory 2.jpgAprilia RSV4 Factory 3.jpgAprilia RSV4 Factory 4.jpgAprilia RSV4 Factory 5.jpg

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Thanks, noted, but i would prefer a scoot :)

Current options I'm considering in no order of preference

New:
- Sym Jet 14 200

Used:
- Suzuki Burgman 400
- Kymco Downtown 300i
- Kymco Xciting 500
- Yamaha BWS (as suggested here, not sure about how different a 2 stroke will be)
Honda PCX 150 also looks a treat

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Ive owned both the PCX & BWS

PCX is a great scoot - bigger wheels, bit more of a linear power delivery.
How was maintainance and running costs if I may ask?

Edit: also looks like the post 2015 models are the ones to get. Not sure which ones were sold here in SA but I've seen some 2014 models on the classifieds.

Last edited:

Tman*

Expert Member
How was maintainance and running costs if I may ask?

Edit: also looks like the post 2015 models are the ones to get. Not sure which ones were sold here in SA but I've seen some 2014 models on the classifieds.
Running cost was cheap.

Do yourself a favor, before you buy a scooter/bike download the maintenance/service schedule - they are readily available online.

See what items need to be done when, ie oil, spark plug, air filter every X Kms and then just phone The dealer to get a price on parts/service.

That way you are making an informed decision.

You can even go as far to get prices on tyres if you that mindful of running cost.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Running cost was cheap.

Do yourself a favor, before you buy a scooter/bike download the maintenance/service schedule - they are readily available online.

See what items need to be done when, ie oil, spark plug, air filter every X Kms and then just phone The dealer to get a price on parts/service.

That way you are making an informed decision.

You can even go as far to get prices on tyres if you that mindful of running cost.
Yeah I'm not in a rush. Got about 2 months to do research.

Thanks for the advice man

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Soo...
If a noob like myself is considering a 'maxi' scooter and needs to get a learner's. Where is the best place to make an appointment? I'm considering Waltloo or Kempton park as I am in centurion. When confirming the appointment, is it necessary to be in the queue at 6 in the morning already, or can I rock up after lunch?

Zuner

Expert Member
Soo...
If a noob like myself is considering a 'maxi' scooter and needs to get a learner's. Where is the best place to make an appointment? I'm considering Waltloo or Kempton park as I am in centurion. When confirming the appointment, is it necessary to be in the queue at 6 in the morning already, or can I rock up after lunch?
Book online

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Yes, I will be taking that route, but you need to confirm and pay in person still? Or has that changed?
Just went through this. You need to make the booking, then go pay within 3 days. When you go to pay, you're not just paying - you need to do eye test and complete a form. Take along your learners, a copy of your learners, your ID and a copy of your ID as well. The booking fee cost is R192 - depending on the station they'll either take cash or they won't and vice versa with cards.

Then, on the day of your test, you'll take your ID, your learners, a copy of your appointment receipt and 2 photos with you, and R228 to pay for license.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Just went through this. You need to make the booking, then go pay within 3 days. When you go to pay, you're not just paying - you need to do eye test and complete a form. Take along your learners, a copy of your learners, your ID and a copy of your ID as well. The booking fee cost is R192 - depending on the station they'll either take cash or they won't and vice versa with cards.

Then, on the day of your test, you'll take your ID, your learners, a copy of your appointment receipt and 2 photos with you, and R228 to pay for license.
Also, I would say it's worthwhile to get an instructor that is based at the testing station - not for any training, but just for hints that are specific to that station. For example, at mine, there is a one-way directly at the parking and the instructors tell you to "follow me" after the pre-trip inspection and then walk against the one-way. If you follow them you fail, as you ahve to obey the rules of the road, always.

I got lucky, there was an instructor from someone else there and I eavesdropped a lot of this.

Zuner

Expert Member
Also, I would say it's worthwhile to get an instructor that is based at the testing station - not for any training, but just for hints that are specific to that station. For example, at mine, there is a one-way directly at the parking and the instructors tell you to "follow me" after the pre-trip inspection and then walk against the one-way. If you follow them you fail, as you ahve to obey the rules of the road, always.

I got lucky, there was an instructor from someone else there and I eavesdropped a lot of this.
Um, pretty sure you obey an officer over the rules of the road.

Edit:
RULES OF THE ROAD must be obeyed at all times, except in cases where a police officer or traffic officer or a road sign indicates otherwise.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

Edit:
RULES OF THE ROAD must be obeyed at all times, except in cases where a police officer or traffic officer or a road sign indicates otherwise.
Yeah. I suppose, but he can argue that I implied you need to go through the correct paths, as he didn't indicate you have to go that way. Also, he walks over a piece of lawn, and not on the road itself.

martin

Expert Member

Edit:
There was some of this going on at the Centurion testing station when I went for my license. The evaluators were notorious for giving vague instructions like "stop here" and "drive there" and point in a direction implying you should immediately drive to that point as the crow flies. In my case, the instructions were also given in a very intimidating and rushed tone of voice that gives you the impression that you are wasting time. If you strictly obeyed these orders you'd sometimes end up crossing lines you aren't allowed to and you would automatically be failed. I can sort of see the value in this tactic if the evaluator's intention is to ascertain how you make decisions under pressure or stress. That definitely a scenario you'll face on the roads.

In other cases, the evaluator would tell you to drive to the entrance of the motorcycle testing ground the long way around. The long way included an incline with a stop street. If you rolled back or did not stop at the sign you were also failed before even entering the testing ground.

I was warned about this and went for one training lesson to try and avoid any of these obvious blunders. The lesson was mostly useless but there was one valuable piece of advice. The instructor told me that if an evaluator gives you a command that may imply that you need to break a road rule then ask permission before you obey. It covers you either way and removes any ambiguity. Example:
Evaluator: Stop here! (pointing to a spot on the opposite side of the line you're on)
You: Sir/Mam, am I allowed to cross this line to stop here or should I drive around?

I ended up asking permission on three occasions during my road test and on one of those three occasions, I was given permission to break a road rule. The two other times I was told to get to the spot while obeying all rules.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

Edit:
Not sure that the testers are police officers - but I might be wrong here.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
But arent Bike licence tests ONLY in the test area and not on the road?

Unlike car licence tests?

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Also to add on to my escapades in scooter research.

The Suzuki Burgman 125 has also made its way onto my shortlist.

Considering that, my commute to work will be a measly 9 kms so a 125 will do just nicely.
So even though i want something bigger for the luxury of having it. The little burgie at R20K new seems a treat.

Its got big scooter looks and according to the google, its the most bestest 125 scooter in india, but it does come at a premium over other 125's

For those that dont know India is probably one of the bigger scooter markets in the world. Just check the honda/suzuki/etc indian websites.

Initially i thought, there isnt much "new" tech in this thing for the price, it still has a drum brake in the back, no kill switch, no light in the under seat storage.

but the testomony of indian riders is quite compelling. it beats everything else for comfort, ride quality and dealer support. One can imagine that India would be the harshest testing ground for these things. Watched a video of a guy that did a 600 odd KM round trip up a mountain with 70 hairpin bends and the little burgie didnt break a sweat and remained comfy for the entire trip, which took a whole day.

I'm also banking on the fact that it being a suzi it will retain a good chunk of that 20K come resale time, should i choose to go bigger or decide to sell it if my unicorn comes along (burgman 400).

Maybe u guys here can enlighten me on bikes and resale.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
So seeing that its only a scooter im getting, only traveling under 120kph, I only need a helmet, right?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So I'm looking for the best place in PTA to get gear for a noobie like me.
Helmet, gloves jacket for now.

Loving the look of the Evo one 2!

Anyone imported using www.fc-moto.de before?