MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Also to add on to my escapades in scooter research.

The Suzuki Burgman 125 has also made its way onto my shortlist.

Considering that, my commute to work will be a measly 9 kms so a 125 will do just nicely.
So even though i want something bigger for the luxury of having it. The little burgie at R20K new seems a treat.

Its got big scooter looks and according to the google, its the most bestest 125 scooter in india, but it does come at a premium over other 125's

For those that dont know India is probably one of the bigger scooter markets in the world. Just check the honda/suzuki/etc indian websites.

Initially i thought, there isnt much "new" tech in this thing for the price, it still has a drum brake in the back, no kill switch, no light in the under seat storage.

but the testomony of indian riders is quite compelling. it beats everything else for comfort, ride quality and dealer support. One can imagine that India would be the harshest testing ground for these things. Watched a video of a guy that did a 600 odd KM round trip up a mountain with 70 hairpin bends and the little burgie didnt break a sweat and remained comfy for the entire trip, which took a whole day.

I'm also banking on the fact that it being a suzi it will retain a good chunk of that 20K come resale time, should i choose to go bigger or decide to sell it if my unicorn comes along (burgman 400).

Maybe u guys here can enlighten me on bikes and resale.
If I was 40 kgs lighter, I would consider a 125cc scooter for my 29km commute using backroads.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
So seeing that its only a scooter im getting, only traveling under 120kph, I only need a helmet, right?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So I'm looking for the best place in PTA to get gear for a noobie like me.
Helmet, gloves jacket for now.

Loving the look of the Evo one 2!

Anyone imported using www.fc-moto.de before?
That site comes up all the time when searching for gear. I dont know what additional taxes etc you will pay but it could well add up to the same prices as buying locally.

Get a good helmet and jacket, and gloves at least.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
If I was 40 kgs lighter, I would consider a 125cc scooter for my 29km commute using backroads.
What options are you looking at? the Maxi scooter options in SA are "real bike" money

The cheapest is probably the Sym GTS 300i at about R60K

Archer

Honorary Master
That site comes up all the time when searching for gear. I dont know what additional taxes etc you will pay but it could well add up to the same prices as buying locally.

Get a good helmet and jacket, and gloves at least.
Stupid as it is, protective motorcycle gear will fall into the clothing category at SARS. So you add 45% to the purchase price, and then add another 15% (onto the total of purchase price + duty) for VAT.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Stupid as it is, protective motorcycle gear will fall into the clothing category at SARS. So you add 45% to the purchase price, and then add another 15% (onto the total of purchase price + duty) for VAT.
WHAT! 45%

rather get it here then!

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
What options are you looking at? the Maxi scooter options in SA are "real bike" money

The cheapest is probably the Sym GTS 300i at about R60K
Its that one!

Wow, then I will avoid that route. Thanks for the headsup

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
For everything except the helmet at least.

That at least comes through as safety equipment.

But historically I’ve found the final landed price for the helmet is about the same as local, so unless it’s something not otherwise available not worth the effort.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
I also had a look at the BMW c650. It is quite a massive bike! Busy reconsidering my life choices.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
I also had a look at the BMW c650. It is quite a massive bike! Busy reconsidering my life choices.
And the price is just as massive. Over R100K ? Theres also a C400 That Starts at R125K :eek:
Thats 2nd hand Polo money

I sat on the SYM GTS at the dealer around the corner the other day.

Shes a like Alicia Keys, oh so pretty with hips that dont lie. The guys told me it can cruise at 120 with no issues. You can take a day trip with a pillion with ease, and you can fit a dead body under the seat no problem. I checked and you can.

Its "older" in terms of tech compared to newer Maxi's but I'm sure it will get the job done. Here's a local review.

I dont see it for sale on SYM's international website. They've replaced it with the CruiSYM in other markets.

Its way more than i need and also way out of my budget. But I'm definitely going to look to move to a maxi once the SO gets comfy-er with the idea of using 2 wheels.

You could consider this. From my research the 400 Burgmans are bulletproof.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Apparently does pretty well through corners too.

Too bad we don’t get the electric version, I would have been interested to try that.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Apparently does pretty well through corners too.

Too bad we don’t get the electric version, I would have been interested to try that.
Yeah, I checked a few reviews, very nice bike. Then went to look at the one at BMW centurion. Going for 80k. Would rather get a secondhand nc750xd at that price.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
consider also the burgman 200 at R52K

Here's a local review, from 2015 but not much has changed except the addition of ABS i think

Volksieboi

Expert Member

Terence1983

Just sold my Bajaj Pulsar 180 (lemon of note and spares are non existent for these now, bike hospital doesn't even have carb spares for it)
Looking for a replacement small cc bike. I commute from Alberton to Florida north in roodepoort, so 66km round trip. I could opt for mainly back roads from Alberton until Rand show road and then a short highway piece where traffic is usually bumper to bumper at the times I commute and climb off at Gordon road.

Would love a Honda CBX 250 but they seem scarce at the moment, every ad I reply to is already sold. Want to stay away from Chinese cheap rubbish going forward, prev had a Yammie SR 250 which I regret selling, that gave me years of trouble free riding. Budget under 15-18k at the moment while saving extra cash. What suggestions are there? What could I possibly get second hand in that price range? Been checking olx and gumtree daily but the deals get swept up quickly LOL.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Last question from my side guys. I remember back in the 2000's when i bought my 1st scooter (VUKA 125) that there were a few guys in CT that were selling "grey imports". I remember a guy out in killarney side specifically.

I remember they were selling NC30s left right and centre.

Do these guys or similar still exist? And would getting a bike from them or getting them to source a bike be a reasonable option?

Thanks
No but don't buy a VFR or an RVF. They're great bikes but every one ive ridden has been worked on by a monkey and maintained by a Teenager.

I owned one(This bike was assembled from 2 VFR's and a RVF), maintained it on the budget I could afford. Then I started making some money and started modifying the thing - waste of time if you ask me.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
No but don't buy a VFR or an RVF. They're great bikes but every one ive ridden has been worked on by a monkey and maintained by a Teenager.

I owned one(This bike was assembled from 2 VFR's and a RVF), maintained it on the budget I could afford. Then I started making some money and started modifying the thing - waste of time if you ask me.
I was totally in love with the VFR and RVF 400's and was going to probably buy one about 10 years ago. But my cousin crashed the Vuka and then my mom basically ended the motorcycle argument there and then. :(

Looking at classifieds, i can see that buying one now is really just buying a whole world of problems. And I'm all about reliability and low maintenance costs.

I'm pretty much set on a scooter.
Over and above the daily commute, it also needs to handle me and the wifey for a joyride on the weekends.

Question to the capetownians... anyone familiar with http://www.bikerbasics.co.za/ ? are they any good?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Nothing wrong with an RVF if you pick up a legit one...10 years ago.

Now they are just too damn old and a world of trouble.

Even when I ran my ex’s almost snapped an engine bolt putting on crash protectors.