MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Volksieboi

Expert Member
So I emailed SYM SA and asked them why they are still selling the GTS EVO and the Citycom 300's in SA when it seems that they've been replaced by newer models abroad, namely the CruiSYM and and Joymax Z

From the interwebs they look like EUR4500 and EUR3500 scoots respectively

They look good.

http://www.sym-global.com/scooter-7

Got this response...

"Thank you for your interest in the SYM product. Regrettably these models are not imported at present , the GTS 300 will be discontinued at a later stage but SYM SA will continue with the Citycom as it is one the best in the 300 class. Please note demand, pricing and ROE for all models are monitored on a monthly basis and if anything should change the authorized SYM dealer network will be notified."

Just FYI

Also TIL that KYMCO builds the BWM 650 and 400 scoots from a factory in China... :unsure:

simm_card

Expert Member
Took my MT07 to the track a few weeks back and it was shitty compared to all the Supersports and +1000cc in our Slow group.

I had loads of fun, however the bigger bikes could have just fcuked off to the Medium or Fast groups after the instructor adviced them.

One lady rocked up with a Tmax superscoot, looked fun until the corners. A few old two stroke Yamahas, those guys were fearless.

A buddy did +220km/h on the back straight with his CBR650.

Also had a guy with less than 24 hours bike riding experience, on the track with us. He had to change his shorts twice.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Took my MT07 to the track a few weeks back and it was shitty compared to all the Supersports and +1000cc in our Slow group.

I had loads of fun, however the bigger bikes could have just fcuked off to the Medium or Fast groups after the instructor adviced them.

One lady rocked up with a Tmax superscoot, looked fun until the corners. A few old two stroke Yamahas, those guys were fearless.

Also had a guy with less than 24 hours bike riding experience, on the track with us. He had to change his shorts twice.
Don’t go to the track to compare yourself to others, just go for your own skill improvement.

It’s excellent for that purpose.

Chasing other people is how you crash.

Also there is nothing more satisfying than sitting on that 1000cc’s gat through every lap with your “slow” bike and them only getting away in the straight which any idiot can do.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Rode from Cape Town to PE today (yesterday). It seems the last one slightly improved my stamina, the real suffering only started around Knysna this time. :laugh:

I think I will do the return trip over two days.

Me with a really sore ass:

View attachment 793379
The lack of need for a backpack also makes things so much more comfortable.

Pox

Expert Member

I have yet to take any bike to the track. I think I'm too scared I'd push too hard and dump it.
Although the electronics are supposed to help stop that.

Did a whole lot of track days in cars tho. Super fun once you get to ignore everyone else and see how fast you can push yourself.

Was fun tho, my old car only had about 115kw, but it sure as hell went around corners faster.

Remember when there was an M3 and a TT RS racing each other, they'd blitz past on the straights, then I'd catch up in a corner and have to slow down because I'm watching the BMW in front of me struggling to turn.

Anyways, race yourself, not the others.

Pox

Expert Member
Rode from Cape Town to PE today (yesterday). It seems the last one slightly improved my stamina, the real suffering only started around Knysna this time.

I think I will do the return trip over two days.

Me with a really sore ass:

View attachment 793379
My boss suggested I do that the other weekend when I was struggling to get flights.

Had to explain that yes, the bike can get me there fast, but I don't feel like doing 700km on a bike with no windscreen.

simm_card

Expert Member
Don’t go to the track to compare yourself to others, just go for your own skill improvement.

It’s excellent for that purpose.

Chasing other people is how you crash.

Also there is nothing more satisfying than sitting on that 1000cc’s gat through every lap with your “slow” bike and them only getting away in the straight which any idiot can do.
Thanks man, appreciate the advice.

I love my bike. I have only seen 1 other MT-07 in the last 4 years, not sure if that's good or bad.

When I ride the normal work commute on urban roads, I sometimes forget too pull the gears longer. And that little 50kW at about 9000rpm brings a MASSIVE grin to my face.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I have yet to take any bike to the track. I think I'm too scared I'd push too hard and dump it.
Although the electronics are supposed to help stop that.

Did a whole lot of track days in cars tho. Super fun once you get to ignore everyone else and see how fast you can push yourself.

Was fun tho, my old car only had about 115kw, but it sure as hell went around corners faster.

Remember when there was an M3 and a TT RS racing each other, they'd blitz past on the straights, then I'd catch up in a corner and have to slow down because I'm watching the BMW in front of me struggling to turn.

Anyways, race yourself, not the others.
I’ve not even had the electronics kick in on the track, but I’m also not a hamfisting idiot.

The closest I got to real drama was hooking the foot peg to the ground cornering too low and getting a bit of a skrik.

It’s great fun and you learn a hell of a lot very quickly since you cover the same road over and over again without cars and taxis and ****.

You do however need to forget about everyone else and there is a degree of trust you can’t do anything about that people behind you won’t moer into you.

In the numerous track schools I’ve done over the years I’ve only ever once had someone else almost **** it up for me when a Blackbird thought he could overtake myself and a Husky in one go through a corner and then ended up running straight off the road.

He was promptly black flagged and removed from the track so there is that. You aren’t allowed to overtake in corners in the slower groups.

And it’s quite amusing to see people rock up with their brand new full leathers and super sport bikes and quickly learn that they can’t actually ride for ****.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
^^^ better to go fast on a slower bike than have to go slow on a faster one?

Work buddy has a 400 ninja and is enjoying it at the track, says the bigger cc bikes chow him on the straights but struggle in the corners, where he enjoys carrying his speed through corners.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
^^^ better to go fast on a slower bike than have to go slow on a faster one?

Work buddy has a 400 ninja and is enjoying it at the track, says the bigger cc bikes chow him on the straights but struggle in the corners, where he enjoys carrying his speed through corners.
That’s the skill of a good rider.

Riding a small bike at 100% rather than a big/fast one at 60%.

My biggest failing was starting to properly ride on a Gixxer 600. I only truly learnt to ride properly on the much “slower” (in straights) Buell.

There used to he a chick at Killarney on an Aprilia RS250 that gave litre bikes an embarrassingly hard time.

kfc4unme

Random observation... When I park, I lock my bars pointing to the right. I find that it is much easier to mount/de-mount the bike this way. I can grab both bars and front break easily.

Looking at other bikes, I don't think I've seen one other bike recently pointing to the right.

What do you guys think? Maybe try it?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Random observation... When I park, I lock my bars pointing to the right. I find that it is much easier to mount/de-mount the bike this way. I can grab both bars and front break easily.

Looking at other bikes, I don't think I've seen one other bike recently pointing to the right.

Most don’t allow for locking in another direction.

Yours have a manual separate key lock like many Cruisers? That may be why it allows to lock right.

Generally it has to do wiry parking against inclines etc anyway. So in a left hand drive country it wouldn’t roll into the road if locked left etc.

That being said I don’t mount my bike locked to any one side it’s almost always centred but even so it’s not a thing I’ve considered an issue. I can mount it from either side with either lock or no lock.

Actually never use my steering lock to be honest, but I lean it left to park anyway, unless a specific situation requires otherwise.

Archer

Honorary Master

Makes the bikes I've ridden lean over too far, so I just keep it straight

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Put your bike on its side stand with the bars to the left and try pushing forwards. The stand stops it from moving. You won't get anywhere.

Now try with the bars to the right and push forwards again. The stand starts folding back as the bike moves forwards, eventually dumping the bike if you weren't there to hold it.

kfc4unme

Most don’t allow for locking in another direction.

Yours have a manual separate key lock like many Cruisers? That may be why it allows to lock right.

Generally it has to do wiry parking against inclines etc anyway. So in a left hand drive country it wouldn’t roll into the road if locked left etc.

That being said I don’t mount my bike locked to any one side it’s almost always centred but even so it’s not a thing I’ve considered an issue. I can mount it from either side with either lock or no lock.

Actually never use my steering lock to be honest, but I lean it left to park anyway, unless a specific situation requires otherwise.
All my bikes I've had (2 Honda's, 2 KTM) have allowed me to lock to the right.

kfc4unme

Put your bike on its side stand with the bars to the left and try pushing forwards. The stand stops it from moving. You won't get anywhere.

Now try with the bars to the right and push forwards again. The stand starts folding back as the bike moves forwards, eventually dumping the bike if you weren't there to hold it.
I leave the bike in first to prevent rolling.

kfc4unme

Good point though.