MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Big Boy Scooters ad targeting decided to give me a laugh a few days ago,
A 300cc "R" spec sports styled bike with a top speed of 135km/h to put it into perspective, a Ybr250 tops out at 170km/h

I've never trusted the Chinese brands for reliability, but I never thought they were so underpowered.

Shame they couldn't take the criticism, they deleted mine and a few other comments pointing this out. Screenshot_20210203-211620_Facebook.jpg

Smugs

Expert Member
Vogue is a subsidiary of Locin Motorcycles which incidentally supply engines for BMW ...

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Vogue is a subsidiary of Locin Motorcycles which incidentally supply engines for BMW ...
You are right, Chinese manufacturers can build great products when held to standard.

Doubt it shares any similarities to the engines they make for BMW though.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
The weak point or Achilles heel of scooters are their belt drive.

Been there, will not do that again. It's kak.

A chain is so much better. Even better is a shaft.

Smugs

Expert Member
A chain is a wear and tear item just like brakes.. Shaft drives are good, my bike has just clocked over 100 000km and its shaft is still good. The down side is they are very expensive when they do fail...

Jefferson D'Arcy

JHB has re-opened as Mzansi HD. There is also ROC (Alberton) and Goldrand (Boksburg). Depending on whether you are going new or pre-owned, you get much better deals on private sales for pre-owned. Sorry for only getting back now, I took a shortcut back from my Sunday ride.

Thanks man.

Issue is there's not much in the way of Milwaukee 8 bikes being sold privately at least as far as the 'trader and FB groups goes. I don't think I'd go new, prices are a bit fruity (unless I get a BMW again in which case I'd be ordering a low chassis variant).

So far I've ridden a Street Glide Special and a Lowrider Sport. Kind of leaning toward the touring chassis.

Is it just the GS now? Which HD's have you had? I've also had a lot of experience on various GSs plus a Pikes Peak, Triumph Speed Triple, various Honda sports bikes etc.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
A chain is a wear and tear item just like brakes.. Shaft drives are good, my bike has just clocked over 100 000km and its shaft is still good. The down side is they are very expensive when they do fail...
But a chain will last far longer than a piddly fan belt with the proper maintenance plan. And you can check for wear and tear if you know how.

Plus it's quick to replace.

FYI I'll also prefer a shaft.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The weak point or Achilles heel of scooters are their belt drive.

Been there, will not do that again. It's kak.

A chain is so much better. Even better is a shaft.

When a belt drive goes it hurts nothing and falls off.

When a chain goes it usually damages a whole lot of stuff.

Chains also vibrate through your ass.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Thanks man.

Issue is there's not much in the way of Milwaukee 8 bikes being sold privately at least as far as the 'trader and FB groups goes. I don't think I'd go new, prices are a bit fruity (unless I get a BMW again in which case I'd be ordering a low chassis variant).

So far I've ridden a Street Glide Special and a Lowrider Sport. Kind of leaning toward the touring chassis.

Is it just the GS now? Which HD's have you had? I've also had a lot of experience on various GSs plus a Pikes Peak, Triumph Speed Triple, various Honda sports bikes etc.
I have only owned the sporty - XL1200c - beautiful commuting bike and overall 'toy'. Yea, it is just the the GS now (1200 LC). A lot smoother and more comfortable than the sporty, but the sporty was the entry level Harley at one point. I have ridden: Street Glide, Road Glide, Road King, Softail Slim, Fat Bob, Breakout and I love the Street Glide the most.

Jefferson D'Arcy

I have only owned the sporty - XL1200c - beautiful commuting bike and overall 'toy'. Yea, it is just the the GS now (1200 LC). A lot smoother and more comfortable than the sporty, but the sporty was the entry level Harley at one point. I have ridden: Street Glide, Road Glide, Road King, Softail Slim, Fat Bob, Breakout and I love the Street Glide the most.

Are all the M8 gearboxes pretty bad for finding neutral?

I've landed between LRS and RKS - hopefully making a decision soon.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Good choice - the Road King is a very nice machine.

Did quite have that issue with mine, but yes, it is a joke amongst sporty riders

MiW

Expert Member
Hey guys, what is the best place to sell a bike, with minimal spamming and scamming.Don't like the idea of advertising on gumtree...
Thinking of selling a HD sportster 883.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hey guys, what is the best place to sell a bike, with minimal spamming and scamming.Don't like the idea of advertising on gumtree...
Fire it up?

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

Probably Facebook marketplace? Looks around for Harley groups and post it there? Harley's have sold on wilddogs previously as well, so you could possibly try there.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
If you are not yet a member, check out Sportster Haven on facebook

Reactions: MiW

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Probably Facebook marketplace? Looks around for Harley groups and post it there? Harley's have sold on wilddogs previously as well, so you could possibly try there.
Second FB for sales, I have not sold a vehicle, but my other interactions have been better than gumtree.

Jefferson D'Arcy

Proud owner of a Street Glide Special as of the weekend.

The front brake is dire, does anyone know where I can get a set of semi-sintered pads from? (not going to use the franchises because they're knob-ends who leave money on the table)