MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Proud owner of a Street Glide Special as of the weekend.

The front brake is dire, does anyone know where I can get a set of semi-sintered pads from? (not going to use the franchises because they're knob-ends who leave money on the table)

I do believe this has been a problem across the entire Street range, but I also wonder if it’s not a case of people coming over to Harley for the first time and comparing it to what they had before.

No idea where you are but usually get SBS pads from Trac Mac.

Jefferson D'Arcy

I do believe this has been a problem across the entire Street range, but I also wonder if it’s not a case of people coming over to Harley for the first time and comparing it to what they had before.

No idea where you are but usually get SBS pads from Trac Mac.
Thanks man. You're probably right, I'm not going to get the power I had from Brembos on my Triumph and Ducati but there is very little bite for the effort at the lever. And the Harley has dual discs with Brembo calipers, but there is 400kg to stop.

I'm in JHB.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks man. You're probably right, I'm not going to get the power I had from Brembos on my Triumph and Ducati but there is very little bite for the effort at the lever. And the Harley has dual discs with Brembo calipers, but there is 400kg to stop.

I'm in JHB.

Wowzer I didn’t realise it’s THAT much.

I would imagine it’s simply the laws of physics at play then.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
phuck
i forgot about this thread
anyways, here goes

my NC750X DCT 2015, what a beauty :love:

But after 150 000km she suddenly died in June 2020 after 5 years 1 week to the day. Electronic failure. Probably the computer, not sure. Anyways, I'm using the work bike which is a NC700 manual 2012 model with tiny mileage and I am busy buying it now to later fix the NC750X DCT as these are in my opinion the best Japanese bikes in the world for a commuter (power and great fuel economy)

Smugs

Expert Member
phuck
anyways, here goes

But after 150 000km she suddenly died in June 2020 after 5 years 1 week to the day. Electronic failure. Probably the computer, not sure. Anyways, I'm using the work bike which is a NC700 manual 2012 model with tiny mileage and I am busy buying it now to later fix the NC750X DCT as these are in my opinion the best Japanese bikes in the world for a commuter (power and great fuel economy)
How would you compare the 700 against the 750? Iv'e seen the 700's go for cheap while the 750 still holds some value.

Pineapple Smurf

How would you compare the 700 against the 750? Iv'e seen the 700's go for cheap while the 750 still holds some value.
700 sux donkey dick. Underpowered, Feels like you have just mowed the lawn with a lawnmower, hands vibration. Fuel economy is about the same I think though so that's good.

The point is the Honda 700 was only available for a very few years and Honda quickly learned their lessons and made the 750 which is now still available.

Remember your 1st girlfriend in high school? She was great. But are you still with her? Nope. Version 1 sux. And I don't mean that in a nice way :thumbsup: Saying that, I am busy buying version 1 from work because after 8 months she isn't too bad, she is worth the cheap price !

dillinger

I rode a NC700X for a year. Very easy bike to ride, very good road holding, cheap on fuel but boy it was Dead! Would have liked to try a NC750X, replaced it with a F650GS Twin.

Pineapple Smurf

I rode a NC700X for a year. Very easy bike to ride, very good road holding, cheap on fuel but boy it was Dead! Would have liked to try a NC750X, replaced it with a F650GS Twin.
Yeah my NC750X DCT is a great commuter, but you're not gonna pull chicks with it.
Pull away is awesome, pop it into sports mode and open up, 0 - 100km/h in about 3.5 seconds, love that automatic gearbox. But top end isn't fast at all, I got to 190km/h once, slight head wind. Anything over 140 is uncomfortable anyways, too much wind hitting your head and chest.

KingMikel

Expert Member
A bit of an update:

My 2018 S1000XR had the well known cam follower failure late December. BMW approved the goodwill claim and I got my bike back a month later.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the schit outta it, with my wife and I using it over the weekend to go swimming at Clifton over the last weekend.

We're planning on going away over the last weekend of the month, and the destination is still to be decided.

It seems as though the battery is going flat though, with the heated grips turning on when I start the bike and the VDS error code being thrown on startup too.

Nevertheless, I love this bike.

It's so nice, I bought it twice :D

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
Proud owner of a Street Glide Special as of the weekend.

The front brake is dire, does anyone know where I can get a set of semi-sintered pads from? (not going to use the franchises because they're knob-ends who leave money on the table)

congrats and wishing you many many safe miles.

Try Startline in Edenvale for Brakepads (or you could buy them on Amazon.com - there are enough decent reviews per product to help make a decision.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
A bit of an update:

My 2018 S1000XR had the well known cam follower failure late December. BMW approved the goodwill claim and I got my bike back a month later.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the schit outta it, with my wife and I using it over the weekend to go swimming at Clifton over the last weekend.

We're planning on going away over the last weekend of the month, and the destination is still to be decided.

It seems as though the battery is going flat though, with the heated grips turning on when I start the bike and the VDS error code being thrown on startup too.

Yip, its a special kind of animal ... with the right posture! But I'm still a boxer fan. onto my 3rd GSA in 5 years.

Jefferson D'Arcy

A bit of an update:

Rode one of those a few years ago. So competent and forgiving in every respect. Astonishing front brakes, great motor, great comfort... even sounded good on the stock pipe. It just lacked that little something which a 2013-on Multi gave, a bit more excitement.

That said, my Pikes Peak had its electronic rear shock fail (1500GBP) and suffered oil leaks which required splitting the motor twice.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Rode one of those a few years ago. So competent and forgiving in every respect. Astonishing front brakes, great motor, great comfort... even sounded good on the stock pipe. It just lacked that little something which a 2013-on Multi gave, a bit more excitement.

That said, my Pikes Peak had its electronic rear shock fail (1500GBP) and suffered oil leaks which required splitting the motor twice.
Well ... I popped my 2019 R1250GSA HP's front ESA twice, also buckled both rims ... potholes. That was R80K. I was so dissapointed with the 1250, I sold it back to the dealership and bought another 2016 R1200 GSA. I did this because I had put my previous 2015 GSA through the ringer on some hectic riding and it never gave me one second worth of trouble (40000km). That Gold rimmed bastad 1250 lasted me 3000km

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Well ... I popped my 2019 R1250GSA HP's front ESA twice, also buckled both rims ... potholes. That was R80K. I was so dissapointed with the 1250, I sold it back to the dealership and bought another 2016 R1200 GSA. I did this because I had put my previous 2015 GSA through the ringer on some hectic riding and it never gave me one second worth of trouble (40000km). That Gold rimmed bastad 1250 lasted me 3000km

That's why you shouldn't buy first gen. All the first gen bikes seem to be giving trouble. The 1250, the 790, the 390.. etc.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
That's why you shouldn't buy first gen. All the first gen bikes seem to be giving trouble. The 1250, the 790, the 390.. etc.
The best part is, the part numbers on the ESA are the same as the 1200, and the rims are just a different colour made in the same factory as the black ones ... yet :unsure:

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
The best part is, the part numbers on the ESA are the same as the 1200, and the rims are just a different colour made in the same factory as the black ones ... yet :unsure:

Well that sucks. What did BMW say? Did they at least give you a good deal on the 1200?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
phuck
anyways, here goes

Surely it’s cheaper to fix the 750 than buy a 700?

Surely?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
A bit of an update:

Yeah I also bizarrely learnt the heated grips going on after a hard start is an indication the battery is going.

No errors pop up for me.

Donford Cape Town? Glad to see they look after everyone else as well as they do me.

Funny story I rode my mate’s 2015(16?) launch year XR on the way back from a breakfast run over Du Toit’s Kloof a few weeks ago when he rode my RS.

He is a new rider to big bikes so was saying he is struggling a bit to keep up with us maniacs on the RS and 1250GS and even the KTM1190 said we were pushing a bit.

I remembered the original initial feelings about these bikes having the handlebar buzz but never experienced it myself on a demo and only hated it for that silly cable clutch and motor being useless under 6000.

Anyway there’s a reason I don’t own I4’s any more so when I do get on them I make the best of it but that bike was all over the show. Not only all over the place not tracking the line but yes indeed vibey as hell.

At some point coming down the mountain it’s just ABS and TCS lights all over the dashboard which once was legit with some big air () but otherwise seemed very odd.

Hit the highway and testing the cruise control even this cuts out here and as the TCS comes on, so now I know something is wrong.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how this old dash works suspecting it’s a tyre pressure issue but can’t find the RDS screen and turns out it didn’t have that.

My own bike arrives and I plug my Xiaomi compressor into the thing and turns out the rear was under 2 bar and the front not far behind. Pumped it up and he got home later telling me it’s a whole new bike.

Funnily enough he had no issue keeping up on my RS.

Last edited:

Pineapple Smurf

Surely it’s cheaper to fix the 750 than buy a 700?

Surely?
Correct
But

It was always my intention to 'retire' the NC750 once it is paid for and then only use it for weekends and joyrides as I honestly do love that bike. So in June 2020 6 days after my last payment of 5yrs she died on me. Electronic failure.

I need another commuter as bus fare to get to work and back everyday. The NC750X DCT has 150 000 km on the clock. I cannot expect another flawless 150k again over the next 5 years going to work.