MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Correct
But

It was always my intention to 'retire' the NC750 once it is paid for and then only use it for weekends and joyrides as I honestly do love that bike. So in June 2020 6 days after my last payment of 5yrs she died on me. Electronic failure.

I need another commuter as bus fare to get to work and back everyday. The NC750X DCT has 150 000 km on the clock. I cannot expect another flawless 150k again over the next 5 years going to work.

I’m of the opinion that’s exactly what you should expect from it. Especially since it’s an electronic failure and not a mechanical one.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I’m of the opinion that’s exactly what you should expect from it. Especially since it’s an electronic failure and not a mechanical one.
Yup, mine is a lemon. It never failed on me before (as in total breakdown) but since day 1 I had the most random 'electronic failures' and could never reproduce them in front of Honda Agency as they were so random and some only ever happened once.

I will get her up and going again, sneaking suspicion I have a dodgy rectifier. But not gonna go down that road now, priorities are getting new busfare and then look at the 750 later

Bottom line is I love Japanese bikes, they are pretty reliable overall compared to say Chinese, Indian etc. I also have an old BMW 650 Funduro, also 150 000km on the clock. My Honda CBX250 Twister also after 5 years has 150 000km on the clock and now sits with a cracked cylindar head. Cant find 1 anywhere, and agents want R11400 for a new one. **** That !!!!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Mad that this is still happening. I was getting stranded on various VFR and CBR because of that shitty $5 part getting fried all the time.

I was about to say sounds like the notorious Honda issue of rectifiers and regulators overheating and then you ride somewhere perfectly and the ****ing thing won’t start when you want to go home.

Robvd

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some advice on this thread if possible.
I am in the market for a beginner motorcycle, we have one vehicle at the moment (ford ranger) and the wife uses that for her commute, I work from home (IT) so I just need a second method of transport really, not something to travel long distance or go on adventures with.. that's what I use my bakkie for haha.

I have googled for the past week or so and the one bike that I really like is the Suzuki GSX250R (Naked version)
I like the looks and from reviews it seems as though its very reliable, low running and fuel costs and a great commuter. Brand new they go for about R42K which leaves me enough money to buy proper riding gear.

Good choice? Any other suggestions perhaps?

Oh.. I am 32yrs old, 174cm and 78Kg's if that makes any difference?

Thanks.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
I am in the market for a beginner motorcycle, we have one vehicle at the moment (ford ranger) and the wife uses that for her commute, I work from home (IT) so I just need a second method of transport really, not something to travel long distance or go on adventures with.. that's what I use my bakkie for haha.

I have googled for the past week or so and the one bike that I really like is the Suzuki GSX250R (Naked version)
I like the looks and from reviews it seems as though its very reliable, low running and fuel costs and a great commuter. Brand new they go for about R42K which leaves me enough money to buy proper riding gear.

Thanks.

Probably look at the KTM 390 either the duke or the Adventure. The 250 will be a bit flat.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Yeah I did have a look at those, but they are like double the price :(

Well, if you buy the 250 now and have to sell it in a year to buy a bigger bike anyway - then you've lost more at the end of the day. Plus, in a car, you mainly use your brakes to get out of bad situations - I reckon I use my throttle on a bike even more. I'd rather get away from traffic into the clear, than slam on my brakes and become a streak across the tar. Also, the KTM's have more safety equipment such as ABS.

You can investigate second hand bikes as well. There is a nice BMW f800gs going for R60k on the wilddogs forum. So R18k above your budget? For a BMW, with ABS and an 800cc bike. You'll even be able to take your wife along for a trip or two and suddenly you'll be looking at a 1200... :)

Robvd

Well, if you buy the 250 now and have to sell it in a year to buy a bigger bike anyway - then you've lost more at the end of the day. Plus, in a car, you mainly use your brakes to get out of bad situations - I reckon I use my throttle on a bike even more. I'd rather get away from traffic into the clear, than slam on my brakes and become a streak across the tar. Also, the KTM's have more safety equipment such as ABS.

You can investigate second hand bikes as well. There is a nice BMW f800gs going for R60k on the wilddogs forum. So R18k above your budget? For a BMW, with ABS and an 800cc bike. You'll even be able to take your wife along for a trip or two and suddenly you'll be looking at a 1200... :)
Haha ok I see what you are saying, I will have another look around. The GSX250 does come with ABS as well though :)

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Haha ok I see what you are saying, I will have another look around. The GSX250 does come with ABS as well though :)

Don't buy a new bike for a first bike. You will drop it.

Interesting, that it comes with ABS, didn't know there was bikes in that class with ABS.

Really look at second hand - NC750 is awesome, there is also the v-strom 650, or the Versys 650. Which are all adventure-ish bikes. So the engine tune is very beginner friendly i.e. all the power doesn't sit in the last 2000 engine rpm's. Don't be put off but bigger engines - single cylinders or twin's are very friendly.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Anyone got some info on bike whatsapp groups, breakfast runs etc? Please pm me

Tickled_Tortise

Thanks.
I started on a 250 and rode it for 2 years before going bigger, I'm glad I started there it gave me confidence and and I still have it. . Its fun to ride it hard and still be within your limits. Something you can't always do on a bigger bike. I agree don't buy new, see if you can find a second hand bike on whichever you decide.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
So, yeah.

I got a taken when I bought my K1200RS, lessons learned, etc.

In any event. Any ideas of where I might turn to sell a such a thing in Cape Town? The starter clutch needs replacing (quote for that is around 7K), so basically, it needs to go to someone who knows what they are getting into, and I suppose can take it on as a sort of hobby project.

Anyhow, any advice appreciated, not entirely sure where to turn with this, and I'm not going to be in possession of its parking space for much longer. Same thing applies to my CBR 250R, but that one at least starts. :ROFL:

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
So, yeah.

I got a taken when I bought my K1200RS, lessons learned, etc.

In any event. Any ideas of where I might turn to sell a such a thing in Cape Town? The starter clutch needs replacing (quote for that is around 7K), so basically, it needs to go to someone who knows what they are getting into, and I suppose can take it on as a sort of hobby project.

Anyhow, any advice appreciated, not entirely sure where to turn with this, and I'm not going to be in possession of its parking space for much longer. Same thing applies to my CBR 250R, but that one at least starts. :ROFL:

Funny enough, someone asked today on wilddogs around where a older BMW would be taken for servicing. You might want to go check that out? http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=243929.0