MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So, yeah.

I got a taken when I bought my K1200RS, lessons learned, etc.

In any event. Any ideas of where I might turn to sell a such a thing in Cape Town? The starter clutch needs replacing (quote for that is around 7K), so basically, it needs to go to someone who knows what they are getting into, and I suppose can take it on as a sort of hobby project.

Anyhow, any advice appreciated, not entirely sure where to turn with this, and I'm not going to be in possession of its parking space for much longer. Same thing applies to my CBR 250R, but that one at least starts. :ROFL:

Try these guys first.

Biketique- Quality Used Motorcycles
021 715 7182

copacetic

King of the Hippies

crysis

Expert Member
Who do you guys insure with? Outsurance didnt want to insure my bike at the price I paid for it. They told me they use transunion to tell them what the market value for bikes are, and insure at that value. This doesnt take into account buying a very low milage clean example of a bike thats obviosly worth more than what transunion's "book" value has to say. So, anyone else you would reccomend for service and quality, that will also insure the bike at the price you paid (and extras fitted to it)?

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Who do you guys insure with? Outsurance didnt want to insure my bike at the price I paid for it. They told me they use transunion to tell them what the market value for bikes are, and insure at that value. This doesnt take into account buying a very low milage clean example of a bike thats obviosly worth more than what transunion's "book" value has to say. So, anyone else you would reccomend for service and quality, that will also insure the bike at the price you paid (and extras fitted to it)?

What bike have you got? My broker only does dual sport/adventure bikes.
Otherwise, you could try one of the new fangled insurers like a JaSure or one of those? I think you specify your own value in there.

crysis

Expert Member
Otherwise, you could try one of the new fangled insurers like a JaSure or one of those? I think you specify your own value in there.
Its a GS 800, so I assume they would insure it?

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Its a GS 800, so I assume they would insure it?

Indeed he would - seeing as I ride the same bike :) Outsurance also told me to fly a kite - they flat out told me they don't insure just motorbikes, you have to have home or car insurance and tack a motorbike onto that.. No thanks. :)

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Naked and Jasure doesn't cover motorcycles... I remember miway and outsurance asking me what insured value I wanted.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I still use Stepp for everything which I believe has the actual policy with Hollard.

But of course I have household and all those things there.

I’ve never found a single insurer that made economical sense to only have one thing with.

crysis

Expert Member
Indeed he would - seeing as I ride the same bike :) Outsurance also told me to fly a kite - they flat out told me they don't insure just motorbikes, you have to have home or car insurance and tack a motorbike onto that.. No thanks. :)

And you can vouch for him? Have you ever had to claim?

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
And you can vouch for him? Have you ever had to claim?

I've never had to claim, but I did have accident where the car was damaged but my bike wasn't - took evasive action on a putco bus and I suspect my passenger footpeg hooked into his wheel well and ripped his bumper off. And he handled the whole process - and the guy driving the car was a serious d00s... He did assist my riding buddy with a claim and there is a TON of positive reviews on the Wilddogs forum - he goes by the handle Operator there. You won't have regrets.

mrmrrza

So I am no expert in motor-cycle insurance but generally the sum insured on the policy is only one factor (it is the maximum theoretically payable and impacts the premiums you pay).

You need to look at the policy type in the wording to see if the indemnity is based on agreed value (as stated in your schedule which could be the sum insured) or book type value (market/retail/trade value based on data from say Transunion) in the event of a total loss claim. The former is usually found on things like classic car insurance, the latter is typical of most personal lines motor policies in SA. So what I am saying is you could theoretically insure a GS for R1m but in the event of a total loss claim, you might only get paid out the transunion trade value less deductibles if that is what the policy wording says.

How many here have an agreed-value type policy? Would be curious to know which insurers offer this??

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Anybody dealt with WeBuyCars? I see they have a Dekta report on their bikes, but I'm guessing they don't provide after sales service like the normal dealers?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Anybody dealt with WeBuyCars? I see they have a Dekta report on their bikes, but I'm guessing they don't provide after sales service like the normal dealers?
That is my understanding as well, since it's wholesale, it's "voetstoots" (which I've been under the impression is no longer legal, so I may be wrong here). It's why I've never bought from them, despite being in the market and them having some really nice vehicles with really nice prices that we were interested in.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
My car been in the panel beater shop for a week and a half now, must say, been enjoying the bike ride to work...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That is my understanding as well, since it's wholesale, it's "voetstoots" (which I've been under the impression is no longer legal, so I may be wrong here). It's why I've never bought from them, despite being in the market and them having some really nice vehicles with really nice prices that we were interested in.

Not really voetstoots but rather “as is”.

Hence the Dekra Report where they declare all faults so the buyer is aware and can’t after the fact claim CPA against them for not disclosing a problem.

A normal dealer on the other hand who claims the car is perfect needs to provide a six month warranty to keep it so.

Last edited:

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Not really voetstoots but rather “as is”.

Hence the Dekra Report where they declare all faults so the buying is aware and can’t after the fact claim CPA against them for not disclosing a problem.

A normal dealer on the other hand who claims the car is perfect needs to provide a six month warranty to keep it so.
Thanks, that makes sense actually.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Dekra means F all.

Their reports are actually very comprehensive and honest.

And they list it publicly on their website so at any time you can go check it out for any vehicle you are looking at.

WeBuyCars fully relies on it to keep themselves out of trouble.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Their reports are actually very comprehensive and honest.

And they list it publicly on their website so at any time you can go check it out for any vehicle you are looking at.

WeBuyCars fully relies on it to keep themselves out of trouble.

The report is only as good as the person inspecting it does and completes it, which is up to their quality control standards and training, which from my experience with 3 vehicles having SERIOUS issues that should have been seen is not great