MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

KoKaRoT

Will do a quick research on KTM 390...thank you.
I started on a kawa er6n, 650cc parallel twin.

The power was very linear so it was very controllable and was great for city driving.

Just unfortunate I had an accident on it 2 months back, came off at 70km/h but my foot got trapped by the gear lever and scrapped my foot and toes to the near bone. And my knee had a hole the size of a R5 coin, obviously landed on a stone of some sort.

My advice to you, get the bike. Just don't skimp on good gear. I had decent gear that saved my elbows and shoulders but my shoes were crap and I paid the price.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Thank you all for your responses. Is it advisable to finance a bike for R100k or would it be wise to swipe R60k from my CC and use the 40k I have on the bike buying it cash instead and deal with the R60k CC debt after?
My advice is, don't go for a new bike as a first bike. Not trying to be rude but the simple fact is everyone who rides, will fall. And if you haven't yet- you will.

While the aim is always not to destroy yourself or the bike, it stings less writing off an older 2nd hand bike than a shiny new one.

I don't know what the 400cc Kawa goes for new and if that's a 100k or if 100k is the price for a 2nd hand one (although that sounds insane really) , but I'd say look into getting a slightly used, cheaper bike as a first ride.

Last edited:

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Looking for something rather new but thank you for the offer, will keep it in mind.

You're gonna feel sorry for your new bike when you drop it. Then, you're be full of regrets when you try to take your smaller bike on a trip and venture close to the highway, and don't think, I'm only commuting, cause you will want to take a trip. Then you're gonna find that unlike a car, throttle gets you out of trouble more often than brakes on a bike. Then you're gonna find yourself taking unnecessary chances to keep your momentum so you don't need to accelerate every time with your small bike.. Then you're probably gonna feel annoyed when you want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a year or so.

Get a bigger used bike with a parallel twin or similar.

Jelly-tot

You're gonna feel sorry for your new bike when you drop it. Then, you're be full of regrets when you try to take your smaller bike on a trip and venture close to the highway, and don't think, I'm only commuting, cause you will want to take a trip. Then you're gonna find that unlike a car, throttle gets you out of trouble more often than brakes on a bike. Then you're gonna find yourself taking unnecessary chances to keep your momentum so you don't need to accelerate every time with your small bike.. Then you're probably gonna feel annoyed when you want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a year or so.

Get a bigger used bike with a parallel twin or similar.
I guess I still have a lot to learn about bikes. I will stick around this thread for sometime today henceforth to learn as much as I can before making a financial decision I will regret later.

Jelly-tot

My advice is, don't go for a new bike as a first bike. Not trying to be rude but the simple fact is everyone who rides, will fall. And if you haven't yet- you will.

While the aim is always not to destroy yourself or the bike, it stings less writing off an older 2nd hand bike than a shiny new one.

I don't know what the 400cc Kawa goes for new and if that's a 100k or if 100k is the price for a 2nd hand one (although that sounds insane really) , but I'd say look into getting a slightly used, cheaper bike as a first ride.
The 100k is for a new one. Maybe I should do a proper research and look for something 2nd hand to mess around with before I pull the trigger on new.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The 100k is for a new one. Maybe I should do a proper research and look for something 2nd hand to mess around with before I pull the trigger on new.
Honda NC

Comfortable, powerful enough for the freeway, easy to handle, super economical.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Vehicle prices are insane these days... R100k for a 400cc sports bike... :crying:

My GSX-R1000 is barely worth R65k (according to insurance), and I like to think that it's a pretty awesome bike in pretty decent nick (it is old though- K6). It's still makes a 172 hp to the rear wheel up in Gauteng :p

1622192998782.png

It's no wonder I can't afford an adventure type bike. My parents both have tigers, bought when they retired, another friend of the family has a GS, I'd love nothing more than to join them but it's almost impossible with the new prices. I've been drooling over the new DL1000 / DL1050 but that's not gonna happen.

Urist

Expert Member
Vehicle prices are insane these days... R100k for a 400cc sports bike... :crying:

My GSX-R1000 is barely worth R65k (according to insurance), and I like to think that it's a pretty awesome bike in pretty decent nick (it is old though- K6). It's still makes a 172 hp to the rear wheel up in Gauteng :p

View attachment 1079083

It's no wonder I can't afford an adventure type bike. My parents both have tigers, bought when they retired, another friend of the family has a GS, I'd love nothing more than to join them but it's almost impossible with the new prices. I've been drooling over the new DL1000 / DL1050 but that's not gonna happen.
You might find pretty decent 1200 GS for under R150k, bought mine for R70k but it has 140 000km on it, zero issues. Fortunatly some people get very high mileage out of those boxers.
Was looking at a 2015 triumph tiger today with 40k on it for R120k, considering trading my gs in.
Really enjoy riding a stofdonkie, comfortable long distance and more suitable for our crappy roads.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

View attachment 1079083

Put some knobbies on it and hang on for your life...

SykomantiS

Expert Member
You might find pretty decent 1200 GS for under R150k, bought mine for R70k but it has 140 000km on it, zero issues. Fortunatly some people get very high mileage out of those boxers.
Was looking at a 2015 triumph tiger today with 40k on it for R120k, considering trading my gs in.
Really enjoy riding a stofdonkie, comfortable long distance and more suitable for our crappy roads.
Yeah I get what you're saying though. It's still stupid money- R150k is still more than I paid for my car.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thank you all for your responses. Is it advisable to finance a bike for R100k or would it be wise to swipe R60k from my CC and use the 40k I have on the bike buying it cash instead and deal with the R60k CC debt after?

Unless you have some magical plan to settle that credit card within like 6 months it’s likely never going to work out in your favour.

And for the love of all things holy insure the thing BEFORE taking ownership.

Many many sad stories of “I’ll do it later” and guys writing off their new bikes on the first day.

chemfis

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

Gonna struggle doing any u-turns faster than 2km/h on that. And given the long wheelbase, it will probably have a turning circle larger than than Pluto's orbit.

#busaboys #fullspeed #rideanddie

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Gonna struggle doing any u-turns faster than 2km/h on that. And given the long wheelbase, it will probably have a turning circle larger than than Pluto's orbit.

#busaboys #fullspeed #rideanddie
Not to mention the damage done to the fairings when you try to pick up a roastie on the tarmac...

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Not to mention the damage done to the fairings when you try to pick up a roastie on the tarmac...

Or when you're trying to park and some moron lets their kid/dog/grandmother run infront of you and you panic grab the front brake, putting further man glitter on your crashbars..

Zuner

Expert Member
What happened to oil prices?
I use Motul 7100 10w40, paid R176/1L in 2019 now same thing is R280.
Anyone Recommend another oil ?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
What happened to oil prices?
I use Motul 7100 10w40, paid R176/1L in 2019 now same thing is R280.
Anyone Recommend another oil ?
Blame it on the ANC and their cronies.

Spare parts are just as expensive, especially clutches. Disgusting.