MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
What happened to oil prices?
I use Motul 7100 10w40, paid R176/1L in 2019 now same thing is R280.
Anyone Recommend another oil ?

so i think another question is what is really the difference between a "motorcycle branded" oil and a "car branded" oil, like what is wrong with a 10w40 full sythentic castrol magnatec for example. Because at the end of the day the prices for the motul motorcycle range is higher, but why, what is actually different?

also where are you based?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
so i think another question is what is really the difference between a "motorcycle branded" oil and a "car branded" oil, like what is wrong with a 10w40 full sythentic castrol magnatec for example. Because at the end of the day the prices for the motul motorcycle range is higher, but why, what is actually different?

One thing I've read, though I don't know how much of it is marketing bs and how much is relevant, is that there is a difference (in shear strength, I believe, might be some other property) that is required in bike oil due to the fact that the engine and gearbox share the oil, unlike in a car- then there is also the clutch to deal with, which is normally a wet clutch (with the exception of Ducati, I think).

MaisonP

Nice garage art :)

Thank you, had the idea and done it a few years ago. My garage needs a revamp so will have to find a nice wallpaper to fit the theme. Ill perhaps get a nice photo or Mr Brad Binder on the KTM and see if they can print that on wallpaper for me.

:unsure:

Zuner

Expert Member

I once went down that rabbit hole, It was a long time ago though and i can't remember all my findings.
I'm in JHB-Centurion.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

Main thing is that motorcycles have their clutches spinning in the oil, whereas cars don't. Putting in motor oil causes the clutch to slip on a motorcycle - there is additional additives in motoroil that causes this. Something along those lines.

I like liqui-moly oils.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
You guys give the first real answers I have ever gotten on the topic.

It still baffles me though slightly how some microscopic additive can stop the clutch from slipping though, I mean dip your fingers in either oil and try move your fingers against one another, on the face of it they are both lubricants, how can something be a lubricant and simultaneously not be

SykomantiS

Expert Member
You guys give the first real answers I have ever gotten on the topic.

It still baffles me though slightly how some microscopic additive can stop the clutch from slipping though, I mean dip your fingers in either oil and try move your fingers against one another, on the face of it they are both lubricants, how can something be a lubricant and simultaneously not be
It may also have something to do with the clutch and friction plate materials.. The oil may interact differently to the friction materials than to other metals within the engine and gearbox.

This is of course just a thumbsuck on my side, it may because of something else entirely.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Somebody help me make a stupid decision between an RC 390 (for R59,000) or a Ninja 400 for (R85-99,000) as a starter bike. I really love that little (not so little) KTM but afraid it's going to explode in my face after a few thousand km of work. Mostly looking for a beginner sportbike as I fell in love with the full fairing looks and the pain it would give my back.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Somebody help me make a stupid decision between an RC 390 (for R59,000) or a Ninja 400 for (R85-99,000) as a starter bike. I really love that little (not so little) KTM but afraid it's going to explode in my face after a few thousand km of work. Mostly looking for a beginner sportbike as I fell in love with the full fairing looks and the pain it would give my back.

If anything the 390 is the most reliable KTM they make.

Haven’t heard any horror stories.

The Kawa price is also just stupid.

Think about it this way, for the price difference you can service and buy tires for the KTM for the next 3-5 years.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
If anything the 390 is the most reliable KTM they make.

Haven’t heard any horror stories.

The Kawa price is also just stupid.

Think about it this way, for the price difference you can service and buy tires for the KTM for the next 3-5 years.
Glad to hear that, but have still heard of some issues. There is a 2019 model for R75,000 but still a decent price difference.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Glad to hear that, but have still heard of some issues. There is a 2019 model for R75,000 but still a decent price difference.

Surely not the exploding kind?

No bike is 100% trouble free. Often it’s just how it’s dealt with.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The initial batch of the 390 motor did have issues. Coolant would mix with engine oil which wasn't a good time. The ECU had a problem. They had to do a recall due to the TFT screen failing, turning off randomly etc. The headlight had an issue, sometimes staying on even without the key in the ignition (fixed with the TFT issue). There was a heat dissipation issue leading to overheating.

When I was looking at the Husqvarna (same engine as the RC 390 and Duke 390) the sales guy told me that what initially happened was KTM would buy the block from Rotax and fit their own parts in it (pistons, cams etc). That Rotax engine was used by quite a few manufacturers apparently. Due to differences in manufacturing tolerances etc, the engine wasn't very reliable and "exploding engines" was an issue.

However, KTM then started producing the entire engine themselves at which point those issues were resolved and the engine is now very reliable. From research online this seems to be the case.

Another thing to factor in is that the Duke is out of warranty. So if you're buying from a dealer you'll have the 6 months warranty the CPA provides, but that's it. A new bike of course has a full warranty (I'm guessing probably a year).

ghostRgg

Expert Member
The initial batch of the 390 motor did have issues. Coolant would mix with engine oil which wasn't a good time. The ECU had a problem. They had to do a recall due to the TFT screen failing, turning off randomly etc. The headlight had an issue, sometimes staying on even without the key in the ignition (fixed with the TFT issue). There was a heat dissipation issue leading to overheating.

When I was looking at the Husqvarna (same engine as the RC 390 and Duke 390) the sales guy told me that what initially happened was KTM would buy the block from Rotax and fit their own parts in it (pistons, cams etc). That Rotax engine was used by quite a few manufacturers apparently. Due to differences in manufacturing tolerances etc, the engine wasn't very reliable and "exploding engines" was an issue.

However, KTM then started producing the entire engine themselves at which point those issues were resolved and the engine is now very reliable. From research online this seems to be the case.

Another thing to factor in is that the Duke is out of warranty. So if you're buying from a dealer you'll have the 6 months warranty the CPA provides, but that's it. A new bike of course has a full warranty (I'm guessing probably a year).
Thanks for all that info, makes me feel a little more comfortable when looking at the RC 390 as a purchase since it's way cheaper than the Ninja 400 and even some of the used 400's and even 300's at this point. Yet to see anything that great for the same price of R59,000.

My next issue is trying to get my ass on an RC 390 and just see how it feels and looks in person though, which is near impossible in Durban since nobody seems to own one, including KTM Durban.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Thanks for all that info, makes me feel a little more comfortable when looking at the RC 390 as a purchase since it's way cheaper than the Ninja 400 and even some of the used 400's and even 300's at this point. Yet to see anything that great for the same price of R59,000.

My next issue is trying to get my ass on an RC 390 and just see how it feels and looks in person though, which is near impossible in Durban since nobody seems to own one, including KTM Durban.
Road trip to JHB with the Mrs. She can even bring her bike up and you can go for a ride together.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Road trip to JHB with the Mrs. She can even bring her bike up and you can go for a ride together.
Im scared. The Mrs. is looking at getting a ZX10R, GSXR 1000 and a CBR1000RR now, more of a flyby JHB than a road trip, but seriously not a bad idea, the RC 390 I want is there too. Just wish Durban had more motorcycles, well of the sports kind. It seems all that is left is Perry and like one other dealer.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

Yeah, that might be a problem. If they aren't willing to assist you in getting a demo or something, how will their services be?

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Yeah, that might be a problem. If they aren't willing to assist you in getting a demo or something, how will their services be?
Pretty true, but this is KTM Durban, they did say they just don't have any RC 390's and won't be getting some for a while since they "don't sell" well here vs the Duke where there is like 15 Demo units there. Im just going to phone them again and ask if there is any chance at a Demo unit, even if this thing doesn't have an engine it would be nice to see in person.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

A little overdue.

Definitely keeping the baffle in.

Yet to ride it, that’s probably on Wednesday.

Very impressed with the build quality overall. The only part not quite aligning perfectly is the heat shield stands off a little bit on one side but it’s really a non-concern.

kfc4unme

Yeah you definitely need to test ride one first. I had the Duke 390. Once took the RC390 for a test drive and hated it. It was really uncomfortable.