MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64

A little overdue.

Definitely keeping the baffle in.

Yet to ride it, that’s probably on Wednesday.

Very impressed with the build quality overall. The only part not quite aligning perfectly is the heat shield stands off a little bit on one side but it’s really a non-concern.

Sounds amazing!

Jelly-tot

Somebody help me make a stupid decision between an RC 390 (for R59,000) or a Ninja 400 for (R85-99,000) as a starter bike. I really love that little (not so little) KTM but afraid it's going to explode in my face after a few thousand km of work. Mostly looking for a beginner sportbike as I fell in love with the full fairing looks and the pain it would give my back.
I'm in the same boat with you brother. I'm new into this biking thing and wanted something light and not so powerful. N400, Z400 or R3.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm in the same boat with you brother. I'm new into this biking thing and wanted something light and not so powerful. N400, Z400 or R3.

I think the problem is that newbies only look at capacity and not engine types.

They shy away from bigger capacity bikes because they assume power.

A parallel Twin is not a V-twin, is not a triple is not an inline four when it comes to power.

A 750cc parallel Twin like the Honda NC series is a pretty safe newbie options. As is the Kawasaki 650cc series.

These small bikes are just stupid money and not very long lasting.

Buy a second hand to start on and make it a larger parallel Twin.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I think the problem is that newbies only look at capacity and not engine types.

They shy away from bigger capacity bikes because they assume power.

A parallel Twin is not a V-twin, is not a triple is not an inline four when it comes to power.

A 750cc parallel Twin like the Honda NC series is a pretty safe newbie options. As is the Kawasaki 650cc series.

These small bikes are just stupid money and not very long lasting.

Buy a second hand to start on and make it a larger parallel Twin.
I totally agree with you but not in the Supersport category. Like I can see the Ninja 400 lasting myself or others quite a few years, and there are a bunch second hand but only 2017-2019.

But I have had a few people tell me the CBR500 and Ninja 650 are probably not too bad to start on if you are a taller/larger rider.

Also I don't think the Rc390 would get boring but I know what you are saying. I found a great deal on a Ninja 400 but it's still like R79k vs the RC390 for R59k. Both have nothing on the clock, still a hard decision though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I totally agree with you but not in the Supersport category. Like I can see the Ninja 400 lasting myself or others quite a few years, and there are a bunch second hand but only 2017-2019.

But I have had a few people tell me the CBR500 and Ninja 650 are probably not too bad to start on if you are a taller/larger rider.

Also I don't think the Rc390 would get boring but I know what you are saying. I found a great deal on a Ninja 400 but it's still like R79k vs the RC390 for R59k. Both have nothing on the clock, still a hard decision though.

Putting super and sport together with 400cc is already an misnomer.

Willing to bet the larger non-sporty bikes will happily keep up with if not destroy them.

But I understand the problem. As an idiot who started properly riding on a GSX-R 600 I can’t judge too loudly and you are certainly more clever than me for not starting there.

My bet is within 2 years you are tired of those 400-ish options if not for lack of power then practicality.

FNfal

Executive Member
One thing to consider when you first start riding is the riding position , the sport bike position and an upright position are like chalk and cheese .
Sport bike position is more for high speed so you are crouched down and tucked in , the upright position is much easier to control a bike but the wind hits you much more .
Things to think about when you first start riding .

Joeboy69

Expert Member

The R20k difference makes it a no-brainer for me.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
807f676f42b09a218da9eb50bbb9e40c.jpg

Good value if somebody is looking for a commuter. And if you don’t like it sell it back at 90% after a year

raind33r

Expert Member
Anyone on here a member of moto101.co.za ?
Trying to find out what happened to the site.
It's just gone :unsure: maybe changed domain names ?

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
After many months of stalking my local dealer's websites, a 2013 BMW F800GS has caught my eye 20k on the clock and less than a R80k price tag.

Question is, since I would not get it through motorrad, will maintaince/services/parts bankrupt me?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
After many months of stalking my local dealer's websites, a 2013 BMW F800GS has caught my eye 20k on the clock and less than a R80k price tag.

Question is, since I would not get it through motorrad, will maintaince/services/parts bankrupt me?

My BMW has been the cheapest bike I’ve ever owned and that while using the dealer.

Their labour rates are reasonable and broken up into 5 minute chunks.

But more so they have capped labour time for every job pushed down from the factory so if it says 5 minutes to change a wheel then that’s the maximum charge even if they end up fighting with a rusty bolt for an hour.

They don’t care where you got the bike, more that you remain a regular customer.

Archer

Honorary Master
I'm finally back in the market, dam it's been a long 3 years :D So what say you all is a reasonable amount to spend on a bike? I reckon somewhere around 25% of annual income is a decent spot? Finance would set me back about 6% gross per month at that price point if I financed the whole amount.
I still need to figure out a exactly what kind of bike (adventure or touring) but holy smokes, that Africa Twin (newest version) is a beast, pity it's outside of the aforementioned budget. I was actually helmet shopping at the time but they had one standing in the shop and sitting on it just felt right. Will certainly be giving it a ride once helmet is sorted. Otherwise a Tracer 900 GT is also looking like a decent option, only the seat seems a bit meh (aftermarket can fix that though). Also still have that itch for another BMW R1200 but they command quite the premium here in NL, not so sure whether the value is there.

WorldWarIII

Expert Member
Morning all. Anyone selling a 250 gsx RL or something like that?

First bike for a 30 year old woman.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm finally back in the market, dam it's been a long 3 years :D So what say you all is a reasonable amount to spend on a bike? I reckon somewhere around 25% of annual income is a decent spot? Finance would set me back about 6% gross per month at that price point if I financed the whole amount.
I still need to figure out a exactly what kind of bike (adventure or touring) but holy smokes, that Africa Twin (newest version) is a beast, pity it's outside of the aforementioned budget. I was actually helmet shopping at the time but they had one standing in the shop and sitting on it just felt right. Will certainly be giving it a ride once helmet is sorted. Otherwise a Tracer 900 GT is also looking like a decent option, only the seat seems a bit meh (aftermarket can fix that though). Also still have that itch for another BMW R1200 but they command quite the premium here in NL, not so sure whether the value is there.

Budget ultimately comes down to how long one plans to keep it I guess which makes it cheaper over time.

Also where cost of maintenance is a big thing.

Archer

Honorary Master
Budget ultimately comes down to how long one plans to keep it I guess which makes it cheaper over time.

Also where cost of maintenance is a big thing.
Planning to keep it for the next 5 years, and quite likely if it's still going strong then I'll keep it anyway. Only BMW seems to offer 2 year guarantee on (some) used bikes, everyone else you can add on the "standard" 6 month guarantee, so that's a factor too. As for servicing I plan to ask how people charge here, hoping BMW also does the 5 minute thing here then I would expect them to come out miles in front of anyone charging by the hour.
I'm honestly just trying to justify the expense, it's been quite a while since I've gotten something just for me

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Planning to keep it for the next 5 years, and quite likely if it's still going strong then I'll keep it anyway. Only BMW seems to offer 2 year guarantee on (some) used bikes, everyone else you can add on the "standard" 6 month guarantee, so that's a factor too. As for servicing I plan to ask how people charge here, hoping BMW also does the 5 minute thing here then I would expect them to come out miles in front of anyone charging by the hour.
I'm honestly just trying to justify the expense, it's been quite a while since I've gotten something just for me

And on their new bikes is 3 years now.

I believe the labour charge thing is mandated from the factory, but the hourly labour rate could be quite different there.

FNfal

Executive Member
I have a tracer 900 , love that bike , it pushes all my buttons speed handling , it is an absolute beast if you switch all the BS off .They are governed at 235KPH .
I have a few bikes 690 Duke ,XT600 and a few TT600s .

Last edited:

Smugs

Expert Member
I have a tracer 900 , love that bike , it pushes all my buttons speed handling , it is an absolute beast if you switch all the BS off .They are governed at 235KPH .
I have a few bikes 690 Duke ,XT600 and a few TT600s .
Please post pics of your 600s.