MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Archer

Honorary Master
And on their new bikes is 3 years now.

I believe the labour charge thing is mandated from the factory, but the hourly labour rate could be quite different there.
I seem to recall you had a rule of thumb when considering insurance? Something along the lines of x% per year of the item value... Insurance here is crazy if you want full cover ie against your own stuff ups :p

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I seem to recall you had a rule of thumb when considering insurance? Something along the lines of x% per year of the item value... Insurance here is crazy if you want full cover ie against your own stuff ups :p

Yeah basically anything 5% of the value per annum is about industry standard in SA.

So if you get less that’s a pretty good deal.

But that was pre-Covid. May have changed a bit.

Archer

Honorary Master
Yeah basically anything 5% of the value per annum is about industry standard in SA.

So if you get less that’s a pretty good deal.

But that was pre-Covid. May have changed a bit.
Here you're lucky to get about 8% of the value per annum, >9.5% is where I'll end up with no insurance history :/ But I think I can carry over my accident free years from the car so that'll help. Obviously it's a different country so these percentages will be different, just looking for a baseline. Maybe I'll consider getting an older bike for now with lower value and hence lower premiums until I build up some history. Then I can reduce my risk a touch while still keeping my monthly costs lower.

Or I just say **** it and buy a shiny 'new' 2017/18 GS :p

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Here you're lucky to get about 8% of the value per annum, >9.5% is where I'll end up with no insurance history :/ But I think I can carry over my accident free years from the car so that'll help. Obviously it's a different country so these percentages will be different, just looking for a baseline. Maybe I'll consider getting an older bike for now with lower value and hence lower premiums until I build up some history. Then I can reduce my risk a touch while still keeping my monthly costs lower.

Or I just say **** it and buy a shiny 'new' 2017/18 GS :p

You're probably already more versed with this than me, but, saw this on reddit and looked decently useful.
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorfietsen/comments/oeabky

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Where to find nice leather jackets in South Africa? Things are so bleak all over.
I can't find a nice website with a huge variety, anyone already did research and can provide sites or guidance finding stuff?

Dr.G

Expert Member
Whatsup guys! Joining this thread after a long 3 year bike less stint. I saved up and waited very patiently to get this 2008 WR450 and have slowly gotten it road legal and did the SM conversion. Will share some pics and videos here

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_190022.jpg
    IMG_20210212_190022.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210216_075943.jpg
    IMG_20210216_075943.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210531_100626.jpg
    IMG_20210531_100626.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210610_100651.jpg
    IMG_20210610_100651.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210611_170624_edit_23962910441655.jpg
    IMG_20210611_170624_edit_23962910441655.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 27

FNfal

Executive Member
Please post pics of your 600s.
Have not got many pics of the 600s and only two going ATM .
They are a work in progress .
Top one is the first model and the second one is the later model with the front disk brake .
21.jpg
TT600 1985.jpg

Last edited:

Jefferson D'Arcy

Where to find nice leather jackets in South Africa? Things are so bleak all over.
I can't find a nice website with a huge variety, anyone already did research and can provide sites or guidance finding stuff?
It's pretty grim in this market. Most of it seems to be rebranded, low-end Chinese sweatshop stuff with joke armour. Bike Kings carry a handful of Alpinestars stuff but tiny volumes are brought in so sizing is a problem.

If you know your size you could order from international dealers, just make sure its couriered direct to your door. You could also try Triumph, HD, BMW and Ducati. Its generally rebranded Alpinestars, Revit, Dainese etc and of high quality. The Triumph and BMW stuff is pretty low key and not covered in heavy branding.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
It's pretty grim in this market. Most of it seems to be rebranded, low-end Chinese sweatshop stuff with joke armour. Bike Kings carry a handful of Alpinestars stuff but tiny volumes are brought in so sizing is a problem.

If you know your size you could order from international dealers, just make sure its couriered direct to your door. You could also try Triumph, HD, BMW and Ducati. Its generally rebranded Alpinestars, Revit, Dainese etc and of high quality. The Triumph and BMW stuff is pretty low key and not covered in heavy branding.

Some nice leather jackets selling as end of range at triumph at the moment: https://triumph-store.co.za/product-tag/end-of-riding-jackets/

Wanna have a browse of the beemer jackets, I normally check bavarian: http://www.bavarianmc.co.za/