MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
So I probably won't have cash for it for a while, and besides, I want to buy a double bubble screen first, but can somebody please put my mind at rest:

Will a Cat delete void my warranty?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So I probably won't have cash for it for a while, and besides, I want to buy a double bubble screen first, but can somebody please put my mind at rest:

Likely yes. Any aftermarket modification to any main system by a non-approved fitment centre or non-approved part etc will give you warranty issues.

Why do you want to?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Exhaust slip-on would on paper even void a warranty but I’ve never seen it happen.

A cat-delete will most definitely as you are purposely fooling the bike’s systems to ignore it and pretend it is still there which is what it was designed for.

It significantly alters the fuel mixture too so they could argue you added strain to the motor.

The question is why though?

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Likely yes. Any aftermarket modification to any main system by a non-approved fitment centre or non-approved part etc will give you warranty issues.

Why do you want to?

Exhaust slip-on would on paper even void a warranty but I’ve never seen it happen.

A cat-delete will most definitely as you are purposely fooling the bike’s systems to ignore it and pretend it is still there which is what it was designed for.

It significantly alters the fuel mixture too so they could argue you added strain to the motor.

The question is why though?
Thankfully it came with a slip on.

Ja if I had to do it I wouldn't definitely get it done properly and add a PowerCommander to adjust the tuning.

Why? Because coming from the Thundercat, I'm really noticing the lack of power.

But thank you for the answers guys, lets see how I feel after the two year warranty ends

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thankfully it came with a slip on.

Ja if I had to do it I wouldn't definitely get it done properly and add a PowerCommander to adjust the tuning.

Why? Because coming from the Thundercat, I'm really noticing the lack of power.

But thank you for the answers guys, lets see how I feel after the two year warranty ends

If you are missing that much power the decat isn’t going to fix it.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
If you are missing that much power the decat isn’t going to fix it.
You would be surprised what a decat and good tune can accomplish.

Anecdotal, my dads friend who rides with them had a decat and tune done to his R1200 just so he could keep up with their Tigers (his words, not mine).

On new bikes (and especially sports bikes like the GSX-R1000) the tune does a lot more since modern ecu's are apparently very restricted. Not sure what the bike is we are talking about though

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You would be surprised what a decat and good tune can accomplish.

Anecdotal, my dads friend who rides with them had a decat and tune done to his R1200 just so he could keep up with their Tigers (his words, not mine).

On new bikes (and especially sports bikes like the GSX-R1000) the tune does a lot more since modern ecu's are apparently very restricted. Not sure what the bike is we are talking about though

You are talking about 5-10hp at best even with full headers fitted.

What’s more likely is that the “seat of the pants” dyno feels much more power due to the throttle response changing and maybe revving a bit more freely.

The R1200 LC is especially pap under 1500rpm when use to proper V-Twins or having come from the air cooled version before it and opening up the exhaust side of things can certainly make it feel more lively.

The flip side is that the lack of back pressure when going all out with full headers and decat etc is that it becomes even more useless at low revs and loses some ride ability at slower around town speeds for all it gains at the top of the range.

It’s unlikely the decat made the bike suddenly keep up with the Tigers, but rather than he himself adjusted to more spirited riding through the new noise it makes and the throttle response gained.

Let’s not even go into the Rand per Horsepower equation that is deeply diminishing in returns. Of course we all still do it regardless up to a point.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
When the ecu is restricted, (I specifically mentioned the GSX-R -L17 and up) we're not talking about just 5 - 10 hp.

It’s unlikely the decat made the bike suddenly keep up with the Tigers, but rather than he himself adjusted to more spirited riding through the new noise it makes and the throttle response gained.
When you pin the throttle to the stop in a straight line drag race, that has nothing to do with adjusting to spirited riding.

But I digress. No point in arguing about it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
When the ecu is restricted, (I specifically mentioned the GSX-R -L17 and up) we're not talking about just 5 - 10 hp.

When you pin the throttle to the stop in a straight line drag race, that has nothing to do with adjusting to spirited riding.

But I digress. No point in arguing about it.

And I was specifically referring to the R1200 you mentioned considering I own one and have ridden a number of them in every configuration possible.

Archer

Honorary Master
What do you guys reckon - dedicated GPS or phone? This for an all weather rider.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
If you do long distance tours I think dedicated is better. More waypoints, larger screen etc.

For commute and shorter trips my phone works well. Some reviews of mounts warned that the vibration on a bike is bad for the phones, not sure if this is true. When I bought my SP connect for MTB and bike Rob Portman from MRW said he never had issues with damage to his phone. Haven’t done a long trip to verify though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What do you guys reckon - dedicated GPS or phone? This for an all weather rider.

I have a Navigator V and I think it’s a piece of ****.

Sure I use it every day because I paid for it, but if it did it over again I wouldn’t bother.

Most of the time I end up with Apple or Google Maps in my ears as well just in case.

Of course dedicated doesn’t leave you relying on cellphone reception so it depends on your need.

Also I’m not a fan of constantly looking at a dedicated map in front of you, it is distracting doesn’t matter how disciplined you are. In a perfect world the built-in GPS on the new bikes with their simple navigation would have been ideal for me.

Or even my Apple Watch if I could strap it outside my gloves just to check that I’m not lost.

Archer

Honorary Master
I have a Navigator V and I think it’s a piece of ****.

Sure I use it every day because I paid for it, but if it did it over again I wouldn’t bother.

Most of the time I end up with Apple or Google Maps in my ears as well just in case.

Of course dedicated doesn’t leave you relying on cellphone reception so it depends on your need.

Also I’m not a fan of constantly looking at a dedicated map in front of you, it is distracting doesn’t matter how disciplined you are. In a perfect world the built-in GPS on the new bikes with their simple navigation would have been ideal for me.

Or even my Apple Watch if I could strap it outside my gloves just to check that I’m not lost.
I almost certainly won't be forking out the cash for a Nav, it's just silly money even if it does work with the wheel on the handlebars.

I do need the screen though, I find maps to be unreliable in terms of giving enough warning. And choosing the right lane can be tricky on some overpasses, so unless you can see the road ahead or know what the next town should be (and hence can follow the overhead boards) then having audio only sends you down the wrong path I'd say a quarter of the time.

Never had that issue in CT, but probably helps that I grew up there and you have that 'small' landmark to help navigate with. Most the time here I can't even figure out which way is north :ROFL: it's a wonder how many non straight roads there are in such a flat country!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I almost certainly won't be forking out the cash for a Nav, it's just silly money even if it does work with the wheel on the handlebars.

I do need the screen though, I find maps to be unreliable in terms of giving enough warning. And choosing the right lane can be tricky on some overpasses, so unless you can see the road ahead or know what the next town should be (and hence can follow the overhead boards) then having audio only sends you down the wrong path I'd say a quarter of the time.

Never had that issue in CT, but probably helps that I grew up there and you have that 'small' landmark to help navigate with. Most the time here I can't even figure out which way is north :ROFL: it's a wonder how many non straight roads there are in such a flat country!

For sure, it’s all new to you so makes sense.

Something to consider is that BMW actually had an official phone bracket meant for the scooters but can be fitted to the GS.

Jefferson D'Arcy

Unfortunately not.

People who buy a GS keep it forever.
Seems to be the way. Being an old man myself, this next one is likely to be my 'forever' bike.

So if I go new, any thoughts then on who the best Gauteng Motorrad dealers are? The ones I've tried so far have been a bit slack regarding callbacks and general stuff. We all have access to the same stocklists they see, now that the webshop shows everything including spec and price, so maybe its much of a muchness. I'd rather give the sale to a team that actually shows a bit of nous and interest.

Last edited:

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Seems to be the way. Being an old man myself, this next one is likely to be my 'forever' bike.

So if I go new, any thoughts then on who the best Gauteng Motorrad dealers are? The ones I've tried so far have been a bit slack regarding callbacks and general stuff. We all have access to the same stocklists they see, now that the webshop shows everything include spec and price, so maybe its much of a muchness. I'd rather give the sale to a team that actually shows a bit of nous and interest.
Motorrad Cedar have given me decent service everytime I've been there. the one in Centurion is lovely too. Haven't bought from them so my experience is limited, but generally got treated fairly well and given ample time to ask my questions etc.