MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Seems to be the way. Being an old man myself, this next one is likely to be my 'forever' bike.

So if I go new, any thoughts then on who the best Gauteng Motorrad dealers are? The ones I've tried so far have been a bit slack regarding callbacks and general stuff. We all have access to the same stocklists they see, now that the webshop shows everything including spec and price, so maybe its much of a muchness. I'd rather give the sale to a team that actually shows a bit of nous and interest.

Bavarian is the way to go I believe.

Also buying new seems like a great option at the moment with their crazy warranties and finance deals.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I almost certainly won't be forking out the cash for a Nav, it's just silly money even if it does work with the wheel on the handlebars.

I do need the screen though, I find maps to be unreliable in terms of giving enough warning. And choosing the right lane can be tricky on some overpasses, so unless you can see the road ahead or know what the next town should be (and hence can follow the overhead boards) then having audio only sends you down the wrong path I'd say a quarter of the time.

Never had that issue in CT, but probably helps that I grew up there and you have that 'small' landmark to help navigate with. Most the time here I can't even figure out which way is north :ROFL: it's a wonder how many non straight roads there are in such a flat country!
Average price here in KZN for a 2nd hand Nav V is about R5500. I have had my Nav V since 2015. Got no issues with it, I load Tracks4Africa on mine, screw Garmin and their map pricing. I have not used a Nav VI, just no way going to upgrade at that cost when the V is fine.

@Jefferson D'Arcy you looking at a new 1250 then? I'm still on a LC R1200GSA. But I did briefly own a 1250GSA (long story). LC R1200 is a great motor, love the torque on the boxer.

Jefferson D'Arcy

Bavarian is the way to go I believe.

Also buying new seems like a great option at the moment with their crazy warranties and finance deals.
Indeed, although the great zeal with which BMW, Ducati, Harley, etc rushed to stick a walloping 25-30% on RRPs from the 20 to 21 model year smacks of avarice. It is not justified in FX and seems a bit nefarious to me.

Jefferson D'Arcy

Average price here in KZN for a 2nd hand Nav V is about R5500. I have had my Nav V since 2015. Got no issues with it, I load Tracks4Africa on mine, screw Garmin and their map pricing. I have not used a Nav VI, just no way going to upgrade at that cost when the V is fine.

@Jefferson D'Arcy you looking at a new 1250 then? I'm still on a LC R1200GSA. But I did briefly own a 1250GSA (long story). LC R1200 is a great motor, love the torque on the boxer.
Yes my liege.

I have some experience on the 1200 too. Owned an oilhead GSA and did around 30000km around Europe with it. Also have a lot of experience with the wasserboxer. I did most of Morocco on a pretty Rallye version in 2018.

1250 experience so far is minimal but I liked what was on offer. The gearbox is certainly transformed and feels snickety and tight like a sportsbike. I'm used to GS feels like stirring a bucket of rocks.

The latest update does have some idiocy baked in though. Some features which used to have dedicated buttons like heated grips (and seat) now accessed through menus and having to tediously navigate the screen. Tail lights have gone US style too. So the indicators are brake lights if that makes sense.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Yes my liege.

I have some experience on the 1200 too. Owned an oilhead GSA and did around 30000km around Europe with it. Also have a lot of experience with the wasserboxer. I did most of Morocco on a pretty Rallye version in 2018.

1250 experience so far is minimal but I liked what was on offer. The gearbox is certainly transformed and feels snickety and tight like a sportsbike. I'm used to GS feels like stirring a bucket of rocks.

The latest update does have some idiocy baked in though. Some features which used to have dedicated buttons like heated grips (and seat) now accessed through menus and having to tediously navigate the screen. Tail lights have gone US style too. So the indicators are brake lights if that makes sense.
Yes very aware of the new lights etc... takes some getting used to. Quite a few guys in my club have the new 2021 spec 1250GS. I had the original 2019 HP 1250GSA, but perfectly happy with the 2016 R1200GSA. Gearbox for me isn't an issue, even on 2016 model, once you perfect the shift assist, you can get smooth changes. But if you got the money for new, go for it, 5yr warranty and that 1250 engine is really sweet. Linking all the bluetooth devices in the right order though, that's tricky, especially phone / headset / TFT and Nav.

Jefferson D'Arcy

Cool. What is the current thinking of liberating a bit more noise? Does an end-can do anything on the 1250? Prices seem to have shot up compared to years previous with end-cans costing what a full system used to. My usual eBay dealer in Italy who sorted me out for the Speed Triple and Multi is no longer doing SC Project but lots of Arrow (which I like) and a few newcomers.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Cool. What is the current thinking of liberating a bit more noise? Does an end-can do anything on the 1250? Prices seem to have shot up compared to years previous with end-cans costing what a full system used to. My usual eBay dealer in Italy who sorted me out for the Speed Triple and Multi is no longer doing SC Project but lots of Arrow (which I like) and a few newcomers.
For a lot of money and not so much loud, Akro. For a little bit less, but imo still a lot of money, and louder then go Remus. In EU the new emission standards means that the R1200 slipons are not the same as the R1250, but here for South Africa, you can put anything that fits! So if you find a good second hand Remus or Akro from an older R1200, snap it up.

Alternatively, a completely unknown brand here in ZA, I managed to find just once and never again is EXAN. I have the Exan Titanium on my R1200GSA, sounds as good as the Remus. And yes I kept the slipon through all my GSA's so it works 100% on the 1250.

1630319971426.png

Jefferson D'Arcy

For a lot of money and not so much loud, Akro. For a little bit less, but imo still a lot of money, and louder then go Remus. In EU the new emission standards means that the R1200 slipons are not the same as the R1250, but here for South Africa, you can put anything that fits! So if you find a good second hand Remus or Akro from an older R1200, snap it up.
Will keep my eye out.

Dr.G

Expert Member
Snatched up another road legal WR450 for yet another SM conversion this last week :giggle:

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-30 at 12.55.48 (5).jpeg

The day the bike arrived, had her in the shop to get some spacers made for the supermoto wheels

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-30 at 12.55.48 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-30 at 12.55.48 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-30 at 12.55.48 (2).jpeg
Pulled off the now very dirty titanium header to do some cleaning. Sunlight liquid and some green scotch pad cleaned it up nicely. Following a quick blast around town, the titanium started showing its awesome colours!
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-30 at 12.55.48.jpeg

Last edited:

Jefferson D'Arcy

The carbon and black Exans look really nice. Worth looking into.
Forgot to mention, talking Slipon only, headers are different. I have never changed the original header or removed the Cat ... no Need to go that extreme.

I had a full Arrow on my Ducati which was excellent. Not sure how it goes on the GS or even whether its worthwhile.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

They sure do.

Just don’t be boring and take the officially approved unit off the price list.

With Euro 5 and all that kak probably does a whole lot more too.

Went Leo Vince myself and probably the same Italian Dealer. :)

Jefferson D'Arcy

Pricing on the Arrow not bad at all, 415GBP, call it 500 - 515 landed. Not far off what the local options are looking like:

A couple of options about. Of course locally, what is shown on these sites will bear little resemblance to what is actually available to buy.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Indeed, although the great zeal with which BMW, Ducati, Harley, etc rushed to stick a walloping 25-30% on RRPs from the 20 to 21 model year smacks of avarice. It is not justified in FX and seems a bit nefarious to me.

I suspect a lot of it relates to Covid and shipping costs.

Building them is more expensive due to staff losses or related costs to keep them working, then shipping is a **** show of new crazy costs.

Archer

Honorary Master

I'm half thinking of getting a used anything that fits into the cradle, and saving the bucks for the inevitable R1250 purchase :X3: I mean any GPS can be loaded with routes before hand and these days making a gpx is stupid easy. So that'll probably be enough for me. Otherwise I think the zumo xt is the only real other option but that's ±€460

Jefferson D'Arcy

I'm half thinking of getting a used anything that fits into the cradle, and saving the bucks for the inevitable R1250 purchase :X3: I mean any GPS can be loaded with routes before hand and these days making a gpx is stupid easy. So that'll probably be enough for me. Otherwise I think the zumo xt is the only real other option but that's ±€460
Some of my friends bought the TomTom units which we were all very impressed with at the time. It was the first time you had a phone-like screen with decent response times and good pinch to zoom capabilities. What I really liked was the twisty road feature. That said, you don't (or didn't) get great PC based routing software whereas the Garmin stuff was very powerful, but not intuitive.

However, come tour time, loading the same GPX produced slightly different results in the Garmins and the TomToms. Still, really good to have at least 2 GPS for longer tours with bigger groups.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
There is an adapter you can buy that fits the BMW cradle, allows you to use your phone, plus it has USB power out from the cradle so keeps your phone charged.

Example here at Flying Brick

1630385750337.png

Archer

Honorary Master
There is an adapter you can buy that fits the BMW cradle, allows you to use your phone, plus it has USB power out from the cradle so keeps your phone charged.

Example here at Flying Brick

View attachment 1137416
Ya I saw these but I'm not too keen on the phone idea after reading online that you're risking the phone camera (if you have optical stabilisation which I do). That along with the pain of working a phone with gloves (even if they are compatible) and rain I'm not convinced. Could put the backup phone in there I guess. This really seems like one of those there is no righ answer, so just pick one and get it over and done with :p

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Indian Motoring Press - 'First Ride' reviews of the TVS Apache RR 310 BTO

Autocar India

carandbike

MotorBeam

ZigWheels