MyBB Motorcycle Owners Thread (2nd gear)

Flat is too hot to sleep during loadshedding, decided to go cruising around

Stoped at Mcdonalds expecting one or two people at this hour

But noooo long queue and everyone is gesuip, girl in front alternating between shouting at her SO and and screaming songs out the window at everyone else in the queue:ROFL:

Fun ride thoug, leather jacket is just too fsckn hot, sweating my nuts off

I would like to start to riding soon and I’ve been doing my research on motorcycles. I like bikes in the sports commuter category. However, there’s so much conflicting info about the right bike for a beginner.

Some say beginners should start on a 125cc and work their way up. Others say you’re doing it wrong if you don’t start on a 300/400cc bike. Lastly, some mention the 650/700 cc class of motorbikes being the best to “grow into” for a beginner. I’m not sure on the way forward.

An experienced rider’s take on this matter would be appreciated.

I would like to start to riding soon and I’ve been doing my research on motorcycles. I like bikes in the sports commuter category. However, there’s so much conflicting info about the right bike for a beginner.

Some say beginners should start on a 125cc and work their way up. Others say you’re doing it wrong if you don’t start on a 300/400cc bike. Lastly, some mention the 650/700 cc class of motorbikes being the best to “grow into” for a beginner. I’m not sure on the way forward.

I bought a z400 and love it to bits.

Depends on your self confidence and how much prep you have done, I previously had an offroad, so on road i started with a Kawa ER6-F 650. Great bike, enough power, but not scary power, I knew anything smaller would not be powerful enough for me once i grew into it so it made sense.

As a beginner who's never ridden before I can see how a 650 can be a bit much, and the 400 class would be perfect.
How tall are you ?

Depends on your self confidence and how much prep you have done, I previously had an offroad, so on road i started with a Kawa ER6-F 650. Great bike, enough power, but not scary power, I knew anything smaller would not be powerful enough for me once i grew into it so it made sense.

As a beginner who's never ridden before I can see how a 650 can be a bit much, and the 400 class would be perfect.
How tall are you ?
Depends also on what kind of 600, a waffly GS like mine is rather good for a beginer I think, it was my first bike and the engine and brakes are no challenge whatsover, with ABS obviously

The biggest difficulty was the weight and height

Flat is too hot to sleep during loadshedding, decided to go cruising around

Stoped at Mcdonalds expecting one or two people at this hour

But noooo long queue and everyone is gesuip, girl in front alternating between shouting at her SO and and screaming songs out the window at everyone else in the queue:ROFL:

Fun ride thoug, leather jacket is just too fsckn hot, sweating my nuts off
Seems like you enjoy your midnight runs?

How tall are you ?
Thanks. I’m 1.8m tall.

I'd say the 300/400 class is generally about the best spot to start. You could start on a 650/700 but it really depends on the bike. An ER-6F would be good, whereas an R6 would be vey very bad as a first bike.

I'd say the 300/400 class is generally about the best spot to start. You could start on a 650/700 but it really depends on the bike. An ER-6F would be good, whereas an R6 would be vey very bad as a first bike.
Is the R6 too powerful or difficult to master?

IMHO an R6 is simply too fast for a beginner. Your chances of getting into trouble must be approaching 100%

Someone above me mentioned an ER-6F, something along those lines, or a smaller dual sport bike would be ideal.

Don't go to fancy for your first one, the odds of dropping it are high.

I started off on a GSX-R750.
Each to his own.

What I would recommend, maybe start out on a 2nd hand bike. Everyone eventually falls or crashes, (or drops the bike) - my opinion only.

There are so many newer 300/400cc class bikes though, that I'm thinking those are a good starting point for someone starting today.

One tip I can't over emphasize : Go for lessons with someone that knows what they are doing. A quick "Here's the clutch, here's the brake" from your cousin's mate who owns a bike is not ideal. Failing that, try to find the video "Twist of the wrist" by Keith Code.

I started riding as a self taught rider in 2001 and I was always a bit nervous and sometimes corners would bamboozle me. Finally went for lessons somewhere in 2005. The change in my riding once the scales fell off my eyes was amazing. Once you get the concepts of counter steering, proper braking and shifting your body weight it opens a new world.

What I like about the z400 is, the looks, lightweight, power easily manageable, economy excellent while still having a revable engine that can cruise at 140.

I started off on a GSX-R750.
Each to his own.

What I would recommend, maybe start out on a 2nd hand bike. Everyone eventually falls or crashes, (or drops the bike) - my opinion only.

There are so many newer 300/400cc class bikes though, that I'm thinking those are a good starting point for someone starting today.
How was the GSX-R750 experience? It looks like a powerful bike.

Last edited:
Not too difficult to master, but you're not trying to master, you're trying to start. It's dangerously powerful for a beginner in my opinion. Very easy to get it wrong. It's also very aggressive. If you want a commuter, you may not enjoy the very aggressive ergonomics of it.

Last edited:
Back