MyBB Path of Exile Intro, FAQ, Chat and Players

SoulTax

Executive Member
haha, thanks for the breakdown, but I want info on the larger meta. Basically I want to whether or not I'll enjoy PoE more than something else without actually having to play it...

The Meta is going to change with the expansion. So it is hard to comment on it really. But here is my best attempt:

All characters share a skill tree. They all simply start with slightly different starting stats (Strength, Dex, Int) which are largly insignificant in the grand scheme of things (the starting values, not the stats themselves). The most important bit about class choice is where each class starts on the skill tree. Because it is actually a skill Web or Nexus. The starting points are important for which major Keystones you want to use in your build. Keystones are basically important talent nodes on the skill tree, that either boost the power of your build, or in some cases even enable your specific flavour of build.

Your chosen skills are also class independent. Because they are given to you by socketting a skill gem into your gear. Skill gems level from 1 to 20 as you use them, and gain power. Support skill gems are linked to these active skills, to modify the skill in many different ways. Like making a fireball chain to multiple targets, similar chain lightning. Or adding some life leech for survivability, that sort of thing.

Your skill gems are socketted into the gear that you wear. So while you have a lot of sockets, there is a limit to the number of things you can do with them. This is why it is suggested to follow a simple cookie cutter build at first. So that you dont stuff up and choose too many skills to support later on.

The defensive mechanics are the same as D2 basically. With evasion and dodge added to the mix. And a secondary health pool called energy shield. Resistances are 0 to 100%, with a 75% soft cap.

End game is a cool mapping system. Coincidentally, the same system that D3 "Borrowed" for nephalem rifts. Except far richer in design and content. That is not a D3 bash though. D3 tries to be simpler, because that is its appeal. The PoE mapping system requires a bit of forethought and planning.
Imagine knowing before you go into a Rift, the boss that you will encounter, the rough map tileset and layout and the rough mob type that you will face. But also know that you are facing Elemental reflect, Hasted, Freezing attack mobs that already run at breakneck speed and have an inherent leap attack. The risk is huge, but the payout could be better too. You need to decide whether your build can handle that risk, and whether the risk is worth the reward. Because even in non hardcore, you lose a bit of XP for dying.

Because of that punishment and reward system. You dont just charge in and hope for the best, you are a little more thoughtfull. Which ultimately makes victory taste a little sweeter. The victory in PoE is not just about finding that awesome piece of gear. It can sometimes just be about taking on a tough challenge with a build that you created, and overcoming that challenge.

If you care about gear and only gear as an ARPG fix. Then PoE is not for you. If you like a bit more challenge and intricacy, then PoE is definitely worth the try.

There is much more, that Videos will probably answer for you, but that should be the gist of it.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Since ol' Mannercookie got banned from D3 he's been dabbling in PoE.

I caught some of his stream last night I think and he said he would be creating some youtube vids doing some comparisons between D3 and PoE in lead up to the PoE patch. If he manages to keep things objective then they could be very useful for any of us D3 players who are looking for something new.

On face value I think I'll skip, but his vids may provide some info which will get me to change my mind.

I'm curious what it is that makes you feel this way?

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I agree, which is why I said if he manages to stay objective. But, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give it a skip anyway and my interest is still pretty low so I'll probably not even watch his vids.

I have played pretty much every action RPG ever made. It is really the only game genre I play, for the most part.

The amount of depth and enjoyment I've gotten out of PoE can only probably be rivalled by perhaps Diablo 2 and the Median mod.

It is an absolutely stellar game.

MentalistX

I'm curious what it is that makes you feel this way?

From what I watched of the game it looks a bit slow and clunky compared to D3. It just doesnt look as fluid. The reason why I'm able to sink hours into D3 and enjoy myself, despite the fact that I feel there is not much content, is the fact that the gameplay feels great for an arpg. I understand that the feel of a game can be subjective.

Of course PoE is not gonna have the same polish as D3, but as SoulTax pointed out that PoE requires you to be a bit more thoughtful in your decisions so having this slower style is part of the feel of the game. I dunno if I'll enjoy the forethought and planning that would go into doing a "rift". When I get home from work I just wanna hop in and smash things for the most part. I do my planning, theorycrafting, learning etc when I'm not at my PC (yay for desk jobs).

People speak about the skill/builds diversity of PoE. In my experience with any arpg's, at the end of the day there is always a couple builds which shine through and those are the builds everyone uses because that's what it takes to go as far as possible. That massive skill tree will inevitably have the optimum path and you'll have to chose to take it or not and live with that decision. It seems not so easy to change builds in this game or can you simply reset you skill tree? You level up these skill gems as you use them so I'd imagine that once you go down a path you're probably stuck with it or have to start basically all over again which actually creates less build diversity.

To add to the above, there is a punishment mechanic. So, if you try some funky build (troll build as ST called it) not only will you probably be inefficient just in farming speeds, but you'll actually get punished if your build doesn't work as you think as you'll probably die while figuring stuff out.

In D3 the punishment I get from dying is that I'm losing efficiency. That is enough of reason for me to make a big effort to not die. I dont need to lose xp too. Seems I'll be forced into a more conservative style of play which I'm not sure I'll enjoy.

The depth in the itemisation is definitely something that looks great in PoE. D3 is a bit too simple there. Also sounds like PoE does have some more end-game content, which is what I feel lacks the most in D3.

For me the perfect game would probably be somewhere between the 2. If ARPGs were the only games I played I would definitely give PoE a go. Right now I dont feel the desire to invest a large amount of time into another ARPG which is notorious for having a tough learning curve and being hard on new players, especially when I'm not convinced I'll enjoy it more than the current arpg I am playing.

Thanks for the breakdown SoulTax.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

I felt pretty much the same when I first played it.

Then played a bit about a month back, and can honestly say, that if you follow the very basic beginner guidelines I posted above, you will not find it slow.

With regard to the skill tree, I do agree with respect to being 'punished' for taking the wrong options.

I also don't like the trading aspect, and teamplay is not as smooth as D3; I also really dislike the mini-map.

These are however niggles - I enjoyed the gameplay the 2nd time round, and only stopped playing because the new Act is imminent.

It's definitely worth giving a whirl though

Archer

Honorary Master
I'd say it isn't slow, but it is clunky in the beginning. But, that goes away as you level, same as D3. Think of low level chars in D3, how slow their animations are and how you can easily get stuck in a bad place because of that.

Archer

Honorary Master
Oh, what is the point of Vaal skill gems? Are they sort of a temp boost after X kills?
Also, how can you find out how much mana is reserved when running a particular aura? I'm wary of upgrading my clarity aura to the point where I have no mana left :p
edit again: and for a spell based build, I'm guessing weapons are more of a stat stick than anything else?
edit: found a calculator - https://poe.mikelat.com/#EoHX/QM

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Oh, what is the point of Vaal skill gems? Are they sort of a temp boost after X kills?
Also, how can you find out how much mana [-]is [/-]will be reserved before upgrading a gem when running a particular aura? I'm wary of upgrading my clarity aura to the point where I have no mana left :p
edit again: and for a spell based build, I'm guessing weapons are more of a stat stick than anything else?
edit: found a calculator - https://poe.mikelat.com/#EoHX/QM

[-]An 'iron' cover slides over your mana ball indicating that amount of mana is 'locked' away - it also show somewhere else (can't remember where - long time since I played) - (unless I'm not understanding your question) :eek:[/-]

Use the calculator :p

Last edited:

Archer

Honorary Master
An 'iron' cover slides over you mana ball indicating that amount of mana is 'locked' away

Yes Sherlock :p but how do I know how much will be reserved BEFORE upgrading the gem
Which the calculator linked shows

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Yes Sherlock :p but how do I know how much will be reserved BEFORE upgrading the gem

Well :mad: I did :eek:

/considers deleting posts 32 and 33 and 34

Huh! decided to fix your question rather :twisted:

Last edited:

furpile

Expert Member

If you hover over the gem in your inventory does it not show current stats and stats after upgrading? I know it shows some of the stats after upgrading, not sure about mana reserved.

Archer

Honorary Master
If you hover over the gem in your inventory does it not show current stats and stats after upgrading? I know it shows some of the stats after upgrading, not sure about mana reserved.

I didn't see anything when I looked, maybe I'm blind though, my wife is always telling me to open my eyes when looking for stuff :p
But I'm sure I couldn't see the new mana costs for upgraded spells either, just the new damage range. I'll have to look carefully tonight

furpile

Expert Member
I didn't see anything when I looked, maybe I'm blind though, my wife is always telling me to open my eyes when looking for stuff :p
But I'm sure I couldn't see the new mana costs for upgraded spells either, just the new damage range. I'll have to look carefully tonight

That is possible. It might only show the requirements for the next level, I can't remember :)

At least you found a calculator.

Beavis

I would like to try this game...

Also tempted to try it again... just urked me previously when you close on completing a mission and get disconnected...
Then its a 5 min try to get connected again without desync problems.

Note that I am playing on 3g so that might have an impact as well, however I do not get those frequent disconnects playing D3

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Again, I strongly recommend waiting for the expansion - It improves a TREMENDOUS amount of stuff.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
When will that be?

Early next month:

xfarz2f.png