MyBB Path of Exile Intro, FAQ, Chat and Players

copacetic

King of the Hippies
From what I watched of the game it looks a bit slow and clunky compared to D3. It just doesnt look as fluid. The reason why I'm able to sink hours into D3 and enjoy myself, despite the fact that I feel there is not much content, is the fact that the gameplay feels great for an arpg. I understand that the feel of a game can be subjective.

This is something that is being addressed in the expansion in a couple of ways: First, the base attack speeds of weapons is increasing, to make things seems a bit zippier from the get-go. Second, you will have easier and earlier access to support gems such as Multistrike, Faster Attacks, Faster Casting, Spell Echo and the like - This will make a huge difference in the tone of the earlier game. 3, Deterministic Lock-step Mode is bringing improvements to the desync issue (eliminating it completely for those with low enough latency, which is not us, but also bringing many improvements to predictive mode).

Also, it must be mentioned that without things being slower in the start, there's no hill to climb, and it's very satisfying indeed to end up with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTg2UYKTTo

Of course PoE is not gonna have the same polish as D3, but as SoulTax pointed out that PoE requires you to be a bit more thoughtful in your decisions so having this slower style is part of the feel of the game. I dunno if I'll enjoy the forethought and planning that would go into doing a "rift". When I get home from work I just wanna hop in and smash things for the most part. I do my planning, theorycrafting, learning etc when I'm not at my PC (yay for desk jobs).

Well, to be sure, PoE is relatively cerebral as far as these sorts of games go, and if you prefer something more immediate then certainly something like D3 is better in that regard (for me though, I just can't play it any more as it gets dreadfully boring within a week or so of starting a new character). As for polish, my only real gripe this stage is the map/mini-map, which is very ugly. Act 4 is absolutely gorgeous, and the rest if the game is improving every patch that comes out.

People speak about the skill/builds diversity of PoE. In my experience with any arpg's, at the end of the day there is always a couple builds which shine through and those are the builds everyone uses because that's what it takes to go as far as possible. That massive skill tree will inevitably have the optimum path and you'll have to chose to take it or not and live with that decision. It seems not so easy to change builds in this game or can you simply reset you skill tree? You level up these skill gems as you use them so I'd imagine that once you go down a path you're probably stuck with it or have to start basically all over again which actually creates less build diversity.

PoE is by far the most well balanced game I've every played in this regard. Yes, there are always going to be optimal builds, but the sheer amount of potential builds makes this point moot as a criticism. There are enough build combinations that can be absolutely effective and fun at end-game, that you will never have a chance to try them all in years of playing. Contrast this to D3, where just about anyone who's been playing a while has probably tried all the cookie-cutter builds already.

To add to the above, there is a punishment mechanic. So, if you try some funky build (troll build as ST called it) not only will you probably be inefficient just in farming speeds, but you'll actually get punished if your build doesn't work as you think as you'll probably die while figuring stuff out.

If you make an uninformed build then of course you shall suffer. The game would be boring if it were not challenging. One enjoyable thing for me about the game is learning about how it all works. I can easily make any sort of build off the top of my head that will be able to at least enter end-game. Figuring out how to do this has been half the fun.

In D3 the punishment I get from dying is that I'm losing efficiency. That is enough of reason for me to make a big effort to not die. I dont need to lose xp too. Seems I'll be forced into a more conservative style of play which I'm not sure I'll enjoy.

There's a lot of assumption here, and in practice, it doesn't really come across this way at all. The penalty is only 5% in Cruel, which would generally take a couple of minutes of playing to catch up, and in Merciless, it's 10%, which can be a big chunk, but if your character is still sucking at 70+, you've indeed done something woefully wrong with them.

The depth in the itemisation is definitely something that looks great in PoE. D3 is a bit too simple there. Also sounds like PoE does have some more end-game content, which is what I feel lacks the most in D3.

The depth is, frankly, boggling. Maps are craftable and there are also unique maps. Not to mention madness like Atziri.

For me the perfect game would probably be somewhere between the 2. If ARPGs were the only games I played I would definitely give PoE a go. Right now I dont feel the desire to invest a large amount of time into another ARPG which is notorious for having a tough learning curve and being hard on new players, especially when I'm not convinced I'll enjoy it more than the current arpg I am playing.

Well certainly, and fair enough. If you do decide to give it a go, again, wait for The Awakening, as it deals with much of what makes you hesitant.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Oh, what is the point of Vaal skill gems? Are they sort of a temp boost after X kills?
Also, how can you find out how much mana is reserved when running a particular aura? I'm wary of upgrading my clarity aura to the point where I have no mana left :p
edit again: and for a spell based build, I'm guessing weapons are more of a stat stick than anything else?
edit: found a calculator - https://poe.mikelat.com/#EoHX/QM

Vaal gems I don't use much personally, as I'm not fond of the mechanic of having to harvest souls for them. They can be very powerful (which is why they were designed the way they were - Having a limit on how often they could be used allowed the devs to make them very strong).

I generally look at the wiki for any particular gem and how it progresses.

Weapons for spell casters... Well, essentially you'd want something that gives you +spell damage, adds to you cast speed, critical strike chance and modifier, improves your elemental damage, etc, etc. It's not a stat stick in the way the D3 has literal stat sticks.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Also tempted to try it again... just urked me previously when you close on completing a mission and get disconnected...
Then its a 5 min try to get connected again without desync problems.

Note that I am playing on 3g so that might have an impact as well, however I do not get those frequent disconnects playing D3

Big improvements coming to the networking tech - it has been redone from the ground up.

Archer

Honorary Master
The mini side areas (with extra affixes), I'm guessing they are supposed to sometimes be really difficult (or nigh impossible). Encountered one last night where I had to haul my ass out of there asap, some darn teleporting spider that almost 1 shot me was in there.

And of course, old RNG reared its head - I was forced to pick a sub par support gem from that quest reward (best of a bad lot), and then what is the next support gem that drops? The same darn one, sigh.

Yster21

Everything that I have read about the game seems to indicate that I should love this. My only complaint about it when I did try it was that it felt clunky and looked dated. If those changes are coming to the game to address these issues, then perhaps it warrants a second look...

When are these changes coming, copacetic? I'll start updating my client so long.

Do you think there is a chance that there will ever be an SA server? If so, then I'm in by default! Blizzard will never give us our own server, which means we are in a large extent limited by our latency.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
The mini side areas (with extra affixes), I'm guessing they are supposed to sometimes be really difficult (or nigh impossible). Encountered one last night where I had to haul my ass out of there asap, some darn teleporting spider that almost 1 shot me was in there.

And of course, old RNG reared its head - I was forced to pick a sub par support gem from that quest reward (best of a bad lot), and then what is the next support gem that drops? The same darn one, sigh.

That would (I am assuming), be a corrupted area, from where you obtain Vaal Gems and Vaal Fragments.

Everything that I have read about the game seems to indicate that I should love this. My only complaint about it when I did try it was that it felt clunky and looked dated. If those changes are coming to the game to address these issues, then perhaps it warrants a second look...

When are these changes coming, copacetic? I'll start updating my client so long.

Do you think there is a chance that there will ever be an SA server? If so, then I'm in by default! Blizzard will never give us our own server, which means we are in a large extent limited by our latency.

I doubt the likelihood of an SA server, as I don't think there are enough players to warrant it.

The expansion is hitting in July, as things currently stand.

Clunky and dated? No, I think not, and the expansion is improving in all areas in any event.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Upcoming beta content:

050615teaser.jpg

SoulTax

Executive Member
That would (I am assuming), be a corrupted area, from where you obtain Vaal Gems and Vaal Fragments.

I doubt the likelihood of an SA server, as I don't think there are enough players to warrant it.

The expansion is hitting in July, as things currently stand.

Clunky and dated? No, I think not, and the expansion is improving in all areas in any event.

I have heard people mention this dated thing before, regarding PoE. I think they are simply incorrectly using the word.

The graphics themselves are not exactly CryEngine looking textures. But they are by no means old and outdated. I think it is more about the actual visuals and atmosphere of the game. The game is intentionally dark and low on the vibrant colours. It both fits the thematic atmosphere of the game, and their original muse (Diablo II).

I think too many people confuse the bright "cartoony" colours in other games, with updated graphics. Just because the tone of the game's colours allows you to subconsciously notice the contrast more, does not mean that the game has more up to date graphics.

That said, GGG did start as a tiny 3 or 4 man outfit, with very limited budget to work with. They did not have access to a massive next gen development engine that would cost millions. So the engine is not exactly the best, but it is very very far removed from old and dated.

furpile

Expert Member
I have heard people mention this dated thing before, regarding PoE. I think they are simply incorrectly using the word.

The graphics themselves are not exactly CryEngine looking textures. But they are by no means old and outdated. I think it is more about the actual visuals and atmosphere of the game. The game is intentionally dark and low on the vibrant colours. It both fits the thematic atmosphere of the game, and their original muse (Diablo II).

I think too many people confuse the bright "cartoony" colours in other games, with updated graphics. Just because the tone of the game's colours allows you to subconsciously notice the contrast more, does not mean that the game has more up to date graphics.

That said, GGG did start as a tiny 3 or 4 man outfit, with very limited budget to work with. They did not have access to a massive next gen development engine that would cost millions. So the engine is not exactly the best, but it is very very far removed from old and dated.

I also remember a lot of people complaining about D3's cartoony look when it was released. I guess it just depends on what you are used to. You can't please everybody.

copacetic

King of the Hippies

I must also mention that Act 4 is absolutely stunning - You can tell they have a bigger team with a bigger budget now, for sure.

SoulTax

Executive Member
One extra point about PoE that I think is a massive positive mark to its record.

Most of the Youtubers who have played it, and enjoyed it. Who then move on to other things that catch their interest. These guys will always have good things to say about PoE, even when not actively playing it. Even if they stopped playing because of something that annoyed them about the game. Such is the loyalty and appreciation that GGG have managed to inspire in most gamers who enjoy the genre.

I fall into that category. I haven't played PoE for about 4 months. But I actively promote it even while not playing it. Just other games kept coming out and pulling my interest for a while. But I have 2 games that are always installed and updated on my computer. LoL and PoE. LoL because it is my goto 1 hour quick fix. PoE because I know I will always hit a gaming release slump, where I have a need to immerse myself into something with more substance. And PoE's replayability is just seems to increase with time, not decrease.

It might not be everyone's flavour. But if you like ARPGs and dont try it, it is like a chocolate icecream addict that decides to never try triple choc chip ice cream, because they have a chocolate soft serve machine at home and think that tastes fine. Some things need to be tried, before they are discounted.

SoulTax

Executive Member
I must also mention that Act 4 is absolutely stunning - You can tell they have a bigger team with a bigger budget now, for sure.

Very true that. Act 4 looks awesome. I really cannot wait to delete some characters and fire up the Awakening. Hopefully our second born is chilled and allows me some gaming time in the evening. :love:

MentalistX

Thanks for the detailed reply. When I talking about the slowness of the game I was talking from watching people who were high level not from playing the game myself from the beginning.

I watched a few more vids and stuff and from seeing some other people play I may have changed my mind slightly about that.

I'm convinced enough to try the game when I feel I have nothing else to play. I need to try the game out myself at this point to see if I enjoy the gameplay. That time is not now though, but lets see what happens after the expansion drops.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Thanks for the detailed reply. When I talking about the slowness of the game I was talking from watching people who were high level not from playing the game myself from the beginning.

I watched a few more vids and stuff and from seeing some other people play I may have changed my mind slightly about that.

I'm convinced enough to try the game when I feel I have nothing else to play. I need to try the game out myself at this point to see if I enjoy the gameplay. That time is not now though, but lets see what happens after the expansion drops.

End game is generally absolute frenetic chaos!

I hate you actually...

Wait, why? :(