MyBroadband Awards 2011 winners announced

vzta22

Congratulations to the winners! It seems Telkom is getting better, keep it up.

Who else made it on the list of losers? RPM, give us a runners-up please.

MKsporo

well done all, conference was nice and informative as always, thanks to Rudolph and sponsors

Saajid

Expert Member
I'm just glad that the 2 losers, VodaCON and eMpTyN, didn't even feature on this list. Well done to the rest, except Telkom, as they have no real competition.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Liked Jannie's quip in the conference - " Anyone with unused spectrum looks very sexy, and will arouse interest"

Mouse

Expert Member
ICASA should just permanently be named the loser of the year. They should get the title by default, no voting required.
No, they have competition from Vodacom at the moment. Vodacom would have won loser of the year this year if they had the poll later in the year.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
WiMax is wireless (microwave) isn't it? It's not fixed. Or am I missing something?
WiMax is indeed fixed - usually comes with an external antenna and can hence not be used as a mobile connection.

It is therefore not 'fixed line', but rather 'fixed'. Hence services which are sold with desktop modems (like iBurst, Neotel CDMA, Neotel WiMax, Vodacom WiMax etc...).

BGE

Expert Member
Fixed broadband service of the year: Telkom 10Mbps ADSL (Runner up: Telkom 1Mbps ADSL).
Clearly answers alot of questions on the competition front!

saliehendricks

"Fixed broadband service of the year: Telkom 10Mbps ADSL (Runner up: Telkom 1Mbps ADSL)" ?? How many people have actual 10Mbps (not 4-9...but 10)? I feel its a slap in the consumer's face to award these ****ers with anything!

Centronix

Expert Member
WiMax is indeed fixed - usually comes with an external antenna and can hence not be used as a mobile connection.

It is therefore not 'fixed line', but rather 'fixed'. Hence services which are sold with desktop modems (like iBurst, Neotel CDMA, Neotel WiMax, Vodacom WiMax etc...).
That makes sense, thanks.

Niren_M

WiMAX can either be fixed or mobile, but in SA it is considered fixed because it cannot perform handover from cell to cell. You could use your "fixed" Neotel/iBurst phone/modem anywhere in the country where there's coverage.

Last edited:

Centronix

Expert Member
WiMAX can either be fixed or mobile, but in SA it is considered fixed because it cannot perform handover from cell to cell. You could use your Neotel/iBurst phone/modem anywhere in the country where there's coverage.
I just read the wiki and wimax site. You are correct, it can be either fixed or mobile - hxxp://www.wimax.com/wimax-tutorial/what-is-wimax

fusion01

ISP of the year?

I have an unshaped 50GB account, and for the last 3-4 days I have been unable to download via BitTorrent @ more than 17 k p/s on a 4mb line. I purchased a 1GB top-up with WebAfrica last night for a comparison and it munched away @ ~390 k p/s. Full speeds. I got a reply from Afrihost this am saying it's a latency issue but my web browsing, FTP upoads / downloads are the same as they always are so that rationale makes little sense. I've followed-up again this evening with Afrihost support and said in no uncertain terms if it's not rectified by tomorrow lunch I will be terminating the account and will go back to the ISP I've had for 7 years, WebAfrica (I've only been with Afrihost for ~3 months). As stated, I have an *unshaped* account with 22GB remaining! I also will push for a pro-rata refund if they can't fix my torrent situation as this is why I opted for a 50GB package in the first place, and if the service is unusable, then how am I meant to consume the full bandwidth?