MyBroadband Conference 2017 - Bigger and better

rwenzori

Honorary Master
No reason to suspect this year will be any different to previous years.
You have knowledge of this, being a mod and all? I did read a comment from MyBB about their "Underground" thing:

All our future events will be paid for. The prices will always be reasonable, and it will allow us to lift the standard even further.

migraineboy

The Voucher Code makes the ticket price R199 for the first 500 registrations, as per email:

"Please note that only 500 seats are available at this highly-discounted price, and these seats will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis."

McT

The Humble Scot!
The Voucher Code makes the ticket price R199 for the first 500 registrations, as per email:

"Please note that only 500 seats are available at this highly-discounted price, and these seats will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis."
This ^ seems to be the case. Substantial discount. Still, it appears it is no longer free to forumites.

TrojanHorse

Seems more and more that Mybroadband has become more about money than anything else, doesnt it? They have a gross of sponsors that pay big money to sponsor everything. They have stacks of exhibitors that pay a lot to have a small stand there. Used to be an event where the industry could get together; just out of principle I dont think I want to pay 200 bucks to go.

"MyBroadband is a South African technology news website which was started in 2003 as a consumer advocacy forum to address broadband problems which existed in the country at the time." No longer it seems? Does it not now goes about who sponsors the most, and making big money?

TrojanHorse

Guess this post will be removed soon and I'll be banned. R200 for a ticket is nuts. 5000xR200 = R800000. Plus sponsorships.
From wikipedia:
"Controversies

In its later years MyBroadband has been criticised for removing forum posts[8] and banning users[9] that are critical of its major advertisers who have people in management positions that are friends with moderators on the forum. The most recent of these when iBurst was accused[10] of illegally erecting a base station. Accusations have been made of unethical behaviour when using a company also owned by the owner of MyBroadband [11]to report on site statistics for its advertisers. Competitions are regularly held which have been criticised for not adhering to any laws governing promotional lotteries or competitions.

The company has also changed its founding principle of being advertising free. In 2009 it included the incumbent Telkom as an advertiser, which was widely critiqued among the membership and ultimately resulted in 2 competing forums being set up[12]. Shortly before and after this several of the founding members left or were banned from the site which was also widely criticised on other forums and on blogs. It is now described as selling out to the telecoms companies and as a commercial news site that no longer has the interests of South African consumers at heart."

Mitch6

Anybody still looking for a ticket, I have a spare one. And it's R200 with the voucher codes, not R2 000...