MyBroadband disappearing data test results - August 2021

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Disappearing data in South Africa is real — but only from one operator

Disappearing data tests by MyBroadband Insights revealed that mobile data on Cell C disappeared, even when mobile data is switched off, and there was no activity on the phone.

MyBroadband used Nokia 5 smartphones that run a default version of Android for the disappearing data experiment.

Swa

Honorary Master
How about putting a sim card with data in an old fashioned GSM phone so old that doesn't even have GPRS?
Would be a fun experiment
Indeed. Also mobile dongles and routers. This is an Android problem.

mister

Executive Member
“Although we cannot replicate MyBB protocols exactly, we are still in the process of conducting our own testing,” said Visser.

why not?

nicroets

If wasting 0.46 MB over 4 days is a crime, we should immediately lock up most web page designers. Call the firing squad and dispense with the advertising executives. Hard labour for developers who build their apps on frameworks.

Leno

Expert Member
I wonder if their VoLTE system is not billing network traffic as user traffic or something

@Jan was VoLTE enabled?

DTBA

Expert Member
What about remotely loading a bundle and using the portal to check data usages? Just leave the sim on a table or cut it up. So that will leave any device out of the question

LetsDance

If I set my router to roaming there is a message appearing 'this will incur extra data charges'. Is this not it?

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I wonder if their VoLTE system is not billing network traffic as user traffic or something

@Jan was VoLTE enabled?
VoLTE was enabled on all of the devices. I'll get my guy to do some tests with VoLTE off.

eg2505

Honorary Master
interesting conclusions, but why are we surprised,

none of the mobile operators think to constantly display your airtime balance on the top of your screen, or as a widget,
or allow one to see a generated report of your prepaid balance/usage via their Apps,

Thembeni84

Disappearing data in South Africa is real — but only from one operator

Disappearing data tests by MyBroadband Insights revealed that mobile data on Cell C disappeared, even when mobile data is switched off, and there was no activity on the phone.

MyBroadband used Nokia 5 smartphones that run a default version of Android for the disappearing data experiment.
Cell C subscribed my data Sim to thier Wacky Videos 7 times. I loaded R400 to convert to data and my money was GONE!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628_135119_com.android.mms.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628_135119_com.android.mms.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 7