MyBroadband Mobile Network Quality Report for Q2 2021 released

rrh

Expert Member
... and if the MTN signal is so bad as (in my case) to preclude the possibility of executing the speed test ??

The speed of the connection is/should not be the sole determinant in defining the "best" network

rpm

Admin
Staff member
myBB must stop using that bullshlt network quality score. It is so misleading and meaningless..
Can you suggest a better way to establish the best network?

m_a_r_t_i_n

I don't think the article addresses the true cause of MTN's network improvement.

It doesn't really speak of it, but wouldn't MTN's speed also be higher as they also use Liquid and Cell C's spectrum? They even pooled their 1800MHz spectrum with Liquid to give them a 20MHz carrier. Of course their network will be faster than Vodacom's

Gudnews

Expert Member
I'd be totally ok with you guys mining our data on the mybroadband speed app. Don't know if it's possible with popia though.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
What has happened to Vodacom? Have they remained stagnant or has MTN just become better?

Bighit

Expert Member
No one beats Vodacom in terms of coverage. Try driving between provinces and using Spotify on MTN or even worse, Telkom. Zero contest.

skusku

What about call quality? I hate it when I can't hear the other person clearly. How about some HD quality calling?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Yes, just say "MTN has the fastest average network" and be done with it.

No need to invent a BS equation that produces meaningless "ratios".

Reactions: rrh

richjdavies

Expert Member
I dont know about anyone else, but the key thing I would like measuring isn't maximum or average speeds, its time spent UNDER a certain speed.

E.g. i couldnt care less if its 10mpbs or 20mpbs or 100mbps (on a mobile service). But if its 0, or 0.1... or maybe 1mpbs... Then its a problem.

So the metric I'd really want is a bit like an enhanced lack of coverage... I.e. time spent going under X...

Found with Cell C near hermanus a few years ago, half the time, basically no data, other half 20mbps... Thats not the same as average 10mpbs!