MyBroadband Super Rugby Competition 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great prizes will be on offer for the top three entrants. Prizes will be made known closer to the final as you don't want to win "old technology".

This format is a combination of two different formats and is unique!

1. Competition Format:

There are three ways to score points:
(i) Each entrant picks 4 teams; 1 from each Conference. These picks will remain fixed throughout the tournament.
(ii) Predict the winner and points margin of every game. These picks must be submitted before midnight of the first game of each round; normally Thursday.
(iii) Each entrant makes 3 "Fantasy" picks. These picks will remain fixed throughout the tournament.

2. The Points System is as follows:

2A. Team Prediction Points System:
(i) Score 7 points for every try scored
(ii) Score 3 points for every conversion and drop goal.
(iii) Score 2 points for every penalty.

2B. Game Prediction Points System:
(i) If you are spot on with winner and margin, you score 35 points.
(ii) If you predicted the winner right, you score 10 points
(iii) If you predicted the winner right, you score (11 - predicted margin difference) up until 0
(iv) If you predicted the winner incorrectly, you score 0.

Example: Result: Lions beat Bulls by 10

(a) faniedry predicts Lions win by 10.
- faniedry scores 35 points for being spot on - see 2B(i)
- Total 35 (Max amount)

(b) MickeyD predicts the Lions win by 7 points.
- MickeyD scores 10 points for predicting the correct winner - See 2B(ii)
- MickeyD scores (11 - 3) = 8 margin points - See 2B(iii)
- Total 18

(c) Ho3n3r predicts the Bulls by 25.
- Ho3n3r scores 0 points - See 2B(iv)
- Total 0 (Min amount)

2C: Fantasy Season Points System:
(a) Which team will score the most tries in the season?
(b) Which player will score the most tries in the season?
(c) Which player will score the most points in the season?

(i) Each correct pick earns you 50 points
(ii) If you pick all three correctly, you earn a further 100 points
(iii) Points will be awarded after the final game

3. The 2017 Super Rugby Conferences:

Africa Conference 1
Bulls
Cheetahs
Stormers
Sunwolves

Africa Conference 2
Jaguares
Kings
Lions
Sharks

Australian Conference
Brumbies
Force
Rebels
Reds
Waratahs

New Zealand Conference
Blues
Chiefs
Crusaders
Highlanders
Hurricanes

4. Standard MyBB Competition Rules will apply including the following:
(i) No clones - only one entry per person.
(ii) Picks for the 4 conference teams, first round results and Fantasy Season must be made by midnight on Wednesday, 22 February 2017.
(iii) Weekly score predictions to be posted or send via PM to reach me at least 2 hours before the game starts.
(iv) Entrants must make a minimum of 50 constructive posts in the MyBB/MyGaming Super Rugby threads during the season.
(v) The winner will be the highest ranked entrant after the Super Rugby Final on 5 August 2017 has been decided and is based on:
- (a) Points earned;
- (b) If (a) is tied then: Correct winners predictions;
- (c) If (b) and (c) are tied then: Correct spot on margin predictions.
- (d) If still a tie then a lucky draw will determine the winner of the tied pool of entrants.

5. General:
(i) I will maintain the list of entrants, their choices and the points on a spreadsheet that can be easily audited and I will publish the updated rankings at least weekly.
(ii) To maintain the secrecy of your selections, you can PM me your picks. I will only publish the 4 conference picks per entrant after the entry closing date.

Last edited:
Hi folks

And we are away and racing!!

Please send your team picks and your Fantasy picks to me via PM*. This is to keep your picks secret until the deadline... I think we all learnt a lesson last year! :p

*or email, whatsapp, SMS, etc. if you know my details

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have my 4 teams, those that I am sure about in making my analysis. Fantasy picks however, these current rosters are still changing with warmups which have already resulted in casualties. Not to mention that some teams have larger than usual squads this year in order to compensate. Clever picks it will then need to be…

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
A season long fantasy B and C are kinda weird considering injuries or bans ...... will be submitting at the very last moment then to wrap my head around that one.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
A season long fantasy B and C are kinda weird considering injuries or bans ...... will be submitting at the very last moment then to wrap my head around that one.
Remember the Springboks resting plan ;)

I also have an idea that the Kiwis may rest some players against the Sunwolves to exercise their depth and to protect current All blacks and All Black prospects. The Sunwolves also have an +50 man squad, so they will be rolling their depth as best as possible. This is also a possibility against the Cheetahs and perhaps the Stormers pending on the early results. The Sunwolves may also surprise now that they have reached unity and have better players in their squad, although vastly unexperienced on this level.

I may be wrong, but these picks are by no means easy. I went with the tried and tested and I am in doubt with my one pick as I am certain that they will rest him at one stage or another, and my other pick may change position which will result in less tries made by him and more try making.

Gamble...

Solitude

Expert Member
I'll send my picks a bit closer to the deadline. Just want to see which players get injured before then.

Kr1mZoN

Thanks for running this great competition again! Going to wait on a few more pre-season friendlies before I commit to any selections.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I wanna play, will be my first time, will get my head around the rules and submit closer to the time. / goes off in search of last years thred.

DanDango

Executive Member
Week 1 Picks

Blues by 10
Chiefs by 4
Sharks by 4
Hurricanes by 30
Crusaders by 7
Waratahs by 7
Lions by 14
Jaguares by 25
Bulls by 5