MyCiti bus drivers on 'illegal strike' in Cape Town

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Source: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/myciti-bus-drivers-on-illegal-strike-in-cape-town-20181015
MyCiti bus drivers in Cape Town have embarked on an "illegal or wildcat strike" on Monday morning but it is not yet clear what their demands are, City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for transport Brett Herron said.

Most routes were affected by the actions of drivers employed by MyCiti bus vehicle operating companies, he said.

"There are reports that drivers are intimidating those who are at work and that they are blocking the red roads."

According to the MyCiti Facebook page, routes D01, D02, D03, D04 and T02 have been diverted to Adderley station, however customers would have to board and disembark on the kerbside due to Adderley station being closed.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
That'll teach me for relying on public transport ... these cnuts had a month long strike in April, W-T-F?!?

Seeing as this is an illegal strike some heads better roll ...

GoB

Expert Member
What's the point of supplementing public transport with a system which is subject to the same flaws?

Really, if the plan for the next decade remains subject to strikes, it should be scrapped.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
That'll teach me for relying on public transport ... these cnuts had a month long strike in April, W-T-F?!?

Seeing as this is an illegal strike some heads better roll ...
Yeah and they farked the traffic up spectacularly today because every Joe and his dog is now driving into work..

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Got to the MyCiti station, one person there. She told me to use Taxi or Uber.
1539599532855.png
So I am staying at home today...

This while prep classes for finals...
On a side note, I met a student who walked from Milnerton High all the way to Bayside, that's a 1h30 walk/6.5km. Dedication to get home...

Cube3

Expert Member
Wage increase ?
Less working hours for more pay ?
More vacation days ?
Housing subsidies ?

Take your pic.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
From one of the horses' mouths:
"We were told that Brett Herron is not available to meet us but we are not moving until our demands are met," bus driver Patrick Mabindisa said.

Workers were complaining about the poor working conditions they face. Some said that they do not have proper facilities and that the buses that they drive are very unsafe.

"We get paid peanuts.

"Some drivers get paid R72 an hour; I get paid R52 an hour. We have been subjected to poor and unsafe working conditions," Mabindisa said.
Source: https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/new...-they-want-better-working-conditions-17483037

Someone should inform these 'tards that they ALREADY made a wage agreement after a month long strike this year.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
From one of the horses' mouths:

Source: https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/new...-they-want-better-working-conditions-17483037

Someone should inform these 'tards that they ALREADY made a wage agreement after a month long strike this year.
So at R72ph it's about 12672 a month, R52 an hour is 9152 a month, if going by 8 hours * 22 working days a month.
Both are quite a bit of money for being a bus driver, not even taking into account that most probably get other benefits on top and/or adjustment for night hours...

I would like to know about the unsafe working conditions, is it due to having to drive into Khayelitsha? Can't be the busses themselves as most of those are in good condition.

chefdude98

Time to get serious about car pooling.
I use to listen to Talk radio.Anyway,the DA and Brett are always bitching about people using their cars vs public transport or carpooling.

The City of Cape Town and the DA are professional complainers but seldom offer solutions.

Why aren't they being proactive in reducing the amount of cars on the road? Why are they sitting on their asses and not promoting carpooling in Cape Town. Develop an app, charge people an annual fee to join COCT site/app and be a listed carpooler. The annual fee can also apply carpoolers to use myciti bus lanes, to further reduce traffic.

I am tired of hearing that we need to use public transport, when it clearly isn't a reliable or safe option. The COCT need to wake the f up.