MyGica 495x any good?

Hi All

Does anyone own or have seen a MyGica 495x in action? Its on sale at Makro at the moment for R999 and it seems like a good buy.

Can anyone comment on its performance and capabilities?

I would like to use it for the following:
- Online (web) Sport streaming (Surfing, motorsport)
- Music streaming from Google Play Music
- Netflix
- Twitch
- YouTube

Thanks

Cheers

Damac10

I have a Mecool m8s pro android 7. 2gb16gb with extra airmouse minikeyboard for r1500 with overnight shipping. Supports hd Netflix.. 4k youtube. Unlike this unit. 1 week old.

fbman

I have the Mygica ATX 582, and I have no issues with it, so I would imagine the 495 is cool

Dstv Now, neflix, showmax all work.. Bear in mind you need to run the unroot fix first. Kodi works like a dream.

I have the Mygica ATX 582, and I have no issues with it, so I would imagine the 495 is cool

Dstv Now, neflix, showmax all work.. Bear in mind you need to run the unroot fix first. Kodi works like a dream.
Good to hear. Whats this unroot fix you referring to?

fbman

Good to hear. Whats this unroot fix you referring to?
The mygica devices come rooted as standard. A rooted device allows the operating system to attain privileged control. Showmax and now Netflix require a non rooted device. Mygica has a fix, that will unroot the device, I got it from the official mygica forums.

The mygica devices come rooted as standard. A rooted device allows the operating system to attain privileged control. Showmax and now Netflix require a non rooted device. Mygica has a fix, that will unroot the device, I got it from the official mygica forums.
Ah okay, that makes sense. Kinda annoying though. Thanks for the info

Trompie67

Expert Member
They come pre-loaded with Netflix & Showmax? Should be no need to root them to load them?

Trompie67

Expert Member

151NAZ

Trying to find the specs of the 495x online but cannot. If it has 2GB of ddr memory then it's a good buy. If not then rather buy the 495pro or another media player with 2gb ddr. I have the atv585 but looking to upgrade as it only has 1 gig

Hi All
So last week I bought the MyGica 495Pro from Matrix Warehouse for R1599. So far, its been absolutely fantastic. I was very impressed with its performance and capabilities. I can confirm that the following services work flawlessly:
- Netflix
- YouTube
- WSL app (Surfing app for streaming the World Surf League)
- Twitch app (for watching game streaming)
- Web streaming (through chrome)
- Google Play Music (music streaming)

There also seems to be plenty of compatible apps on the play store. Seeing as it runs Android 5, pretty much all the apps I could think of were there. Other streaming apps I saw included Showmax and DSTV Now, however I do not have accounts so can not confirm their performance.

Performance wise, the device very quick and I have not experienced any lag with operation of any of the apps. We streaming to a cheap, small tv so I cant confirm its 4k ability but HD streaming looks great and runs smoothly.

I was very impressed with the remote that comes with the device. One side has standard controls, and the other has a full QWERTY keyboard. The keys feel very good to press and typing feels very comfortable. One thing to note however is that the mouse feature that is included is purely the ability to move the cursor on the screen using the arrow keys. The solution to this though is by plugging a cheap wireless mouse into the device and you then have a mouse that you can move around with ease, making navigation much quicker. This does mean however that having the remote and mouse plugged in leaves no free USB ports. You could just use a USB hub if you want more ports I suppose but I haven't tried this yet.

All in all, if you're looking at turning your TV into a smart tv for streaming I would highly recommend this product. For my purpose, I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars. No complaints.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Hi All
So last week I bought the MyGica 495Pro from Matrix Warehouse for R1599. So far, its been absolutely fantastic. I was very impressed with its performance and capabilities. I can confirm that the following services work flawlessly:
- Netflix
- YouTube
- WSL app (Surfing app for streaming the World Surf League)
- Twitch app (for watching game streaming)
- Web streaming (through chrome)
- Google Play Music (music streaming)

There also seems to be plenty of compatible apps on the play store. Seeing as it runs Android 5, pretty much all the apps I could think of were there. Other streaming apps I saw included Showmax and DSTV Now, however I do not have accounts so can not confirm their performance.

Performance wise, the device very quick and I have not experienced any lag with operation of any of the apps. We streaming to a cheap, small tv so I cant confirm its 4k ability but HD streaming looks great and runs smoothly.

I was very impressed with the remote that comes with the device. One side has standard controls, and the other has a full QWERTY keyboard. The keys feel very good to press and typing feels very comfortable. One thing to note however is that the mouse feature that is included is purely the ability to move the cursor on the screen using the arrow keys. The solution to this though is by plugging a cheap wireless mouse into the device and you then have a mouse that you can move around with ease, making navigation much quicker. This does mean however that having the remote and mouse plugged in leaves no free USB ports. You could just use a USB hub if you want more ports I suppose but I haven't tried this yet.

All in all, if you're looking at turning your TV into a smart tv for streaming I would highly recommend this product. For my purpose, I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars. No complaints.
Also got the Mygica 495 for R1299 from Incredible. Plugged the power into the wrong port at first ie the 3.5mm jack but then saw my mistake. Lol. Mine runs Android 6.0.1. DSTV now and Supersport apps work. The 1gb ram is good enough for my use case.

Kamal69

Also got the Mygica 495 for R1299 from Incredible. Plugged the power into the wrong port at first ie the 3.5mm jack but then saw my mistake. Lol. Mine runs Android 6.0.1. DSTV now and Supersport apps work. The 1gb ram is good enough for my use case.
How is the picture quality on the ATV495X with DSTV now, as on my 55" 4K TV the quality is bad with the ATV495, where as when i had the ATV582 the picture quality on DSTV now was crystal clear

Last edited:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I think the differences are that the 582 runs Android 4.4 where as the 495 runs 5.1. Looking on the MyGica website, the 582 says nothing about Netflix capabilites however the 495 has netflix listed as a preinstalled app.

i'm hoping that surely this means no rooting is required.

Links: http://www.mygica.tv/smart-tv-boxes.php?model=ATV-582
http://www.mygica.tv/smart-tv-boxes.php?model=ATV-495
Beta Android Lollipop running on both my 582s.

As for rooting, not nescessary. There is an app in the Google store that will hide an unrooted device. Had it running perfectly with the app.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Just bought a 495x. Seems ok, just very painful trying to use it with the remote - I found it impossible to get the cursor into the search box on Google Play. Mouse sorts that out.

I've installed vlc and fx browser and added the necessary add-ons to kodi. Everything works as expected. I now just have to up the cap on my Internet and down my dstv package :)

Unfortunately, uncapped lte is no longer available in my suburb :(

Just bought a 495x. Seems ok, just very painful trying to use it with the remote - I found it impossible to get the cursor into the search box on Google Play. Mouse sorts that out.

I've installed vlc and fx browser and added the necessary add-ons to kodi. Everything works as expected. I now just have to up the cap on my Internet and down my dstv package :)

Unfortunately, uncapped lte is no longer available in my suburb :(
Returning mines (if possible) ... It's a POS ... Mines even says running Android 6 on the box but it appears they are not using Android 6 (can't find any info on mygica site) - mines was bought online from a reputable dealer.

The fact that I need to use a mouse (whether physical or virtual) to get some things done means it's not fit for purpose for use with a TV. Typing in passwords a nightmare. Voice control doesn't work and using a phone as a keyboard (like Apple TV) is not possible (as far as I know).

I will wait to see what the Telkom LIT box can do ... may be a better proposition. Or if push comes to shove, it's another Raspberry Pi for me. I went for an android box so I could easily have Kodi, NetFlix and Youtube - but android TV or whatever frankenstein build they have has put me off Android TV for a while

Last edited:
PS. Is it possible to cast from Android Phone to MyGica box ? I never saw the cast option appear on my phone. Ideadlly, if I could queue up stuff on the phone and it then plays on the TV via MyGica 495x then it could be useful.

TL,DR - Does it support something like Google Chromecast or Apple Airplay?