MyGica 495x any good?

Sumen

Expert Member
PS. Is it possible to cast from Android Phone to MyGica box ? I never saw the cast option appear on my phone. Ideadlly, if I could queue up stuff on the phone and it then plays on the TV via MyGica 495x then it could be useful.

TL,DR - Does it support something like Google Chromecast or Apple Airplay?
Only Android TV supports chromecast but you will get something similar on these android boxes

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just bought a 495x. Seems ok, just very painful trying to use it with the remote - I found it impossible to get the cursor into the search box on Google Play.
Install apps remotely via browser or PC.

Returning mines (if possible) ... It's a POS ... Mines even says running Android 6 on the box but it appears they are not using Android 6 (can't find any info on mygica site) - mines was bought online from a reputable dealer.

The fact that I need to use a mouse (whether physical or virtual) to get some things done means it's not fit for purpose for use with a TV. Typing in passwords a nightmare. Voice control doesn't work and using a phone as a keyboard (like Apple TV) is not possible (as far as I know).

I will wait to see what the Telkom LIT box can do ... may be a better proposition. Or if push comes to shove, it's another Raspberry Pi for me. I went for an android box so I could easily have Kodi, NetFlix and Youtube - but android TV or whatever frankenstein build they have has put me off Android TV for a while
Runs Android 6 if you go under More settings > About. I only need a mouse to maximize videos in DSTV now and not sure if Android TV fixes that. It doesn't have a mic (not sure if Telkom one does). Only gripe I have is getting Showmax to play shows.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Install apps remotely via browser or PC.

Runs Android 6 if you go under More settings > About. I only need a mouse to maximize videos in DSTV now and not sure if Android TV fixes that. It doesn't have a mic (not sure if Telkom one does). Only gripe I have is getting Showmax to play shows.
How does one install apps remotely? Sorry for the noob question and being lazy

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
How does one install apps remotely? Sorry for the noob question and being lazy
Go to play.google.com on your pc or phone browser. Select app > select install > Tap on dropdown to reveal all your devices then tap on the MyGica to install it on there.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Returning mines (if possible) ... It's a POS ... Mines even says running Android 6 on the box but it appears they are not using Android 6 (can't find any info on mygica site) - mines was bought online from a reputable dealer.

The fact that I need to use a mouse (whether physical or virtual) to get some things done means it's not fit for purpose for use with a TV. Typing in passwords a nightmare. Voice control doesn't work and using a phone as a keyboard (like Apple TV) is not possible (as far as I know).

I will wait to see what the Telkom LIT box can do ... may be a better proposition. Or if push comes to shove, it's another Raspberry Pi for me. I went for an android box so I could easily have Kodi, NetFlix and Youtube - but android TV or whatever frankenstein build they have has put me off Android TV for a while
Agreed. I also got a MyGica 4k pro whatever top of the range Android box earlier this year. It simply did not playback any 4k content at all, even with all the settings correctly set to output in 4k resolution. Even 1080p content stuttered. I will stick with a proper mediacenter PC instead. Even an older i5 laptop with an HDMI output will work miles better than any Android box.

RoosTa

Expert Member
Just my 2c: I bought the MyGica 1900x Pro, which is essentially the same hardware and software as the 495 Pro, but has better WiFi, a HDD bay and comes with AirMouse (best feature ever). The air mouse changes the experience completely - it lets you point your remote to the screen and move the mouse, like wiimote. This is so useful for those moments you need to use a mouse.

I'd skip the 495 and rather save for the 1900x Pro.

Also the MyGica 495 and 1900 models are Android 5 ( do not get confused with Android TV ). It's an Android phone, on your TV. So it will have its nuances, but if you are willing to work around those issues with (sometime a lot) of tinkering, then these are great devices. Think of them as a pc, rather than a dedicated TV Box.

They have never released Android 6 nor are they planning to.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just my 2c: I bought the MyGica 1900x Pro, which is essentially the same hardware and software as the 495 Pro, but has better WiFi, a HDD bay and comes with AirMouse (best feature ever). The air mouse changes the experience completely - it lets you point your remote to the screen and move the mouse, like wiimote. This is so useful for those moments you need to use a mouse.

I'd skip the 495 and rather save for the 1900x Pro.

Also the MyGica 495 and 1900 models are Android 5
( do not get confused with Android TV ). It's an Android phone, on your TV. So it will have its nuances, but if you are willing to work around those issues with (sometime a lot) of tinkering, then these are great devices. Think of them as a pc, rather than a dedicated TV Box.

They have never released Android 6 nor are they planning to.
Mine is on Android 6 as noted above.

The ATV495 isn't terrible but I personally went for the H96 Pro+ which has much higher specs, no issues with streaming or video quality on 4K TV.
http://jctech.co.za/?product=h96-pro-android-media-player-tv-box-2
PM RPM and register as a dealer...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member

So is mines. Just wiped it so I can return it.

Edit for more info.

Box says 6.0 marshamallow

Yet after the factory reset and when it booted up - there was a lollipop logo. Fsck this thing is bad ... Glad to be rid of it

Last edited:

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I am pretty chuffed with mine. Bought a dedicated wireless mouse for it and have no problems. Can't see why using a mouse should be an issue...

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Last edited:

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I am pretty chuffed with mine. Bought a dedicated wireless mouse for it and have no problems. Can't see why using a mouse should be an issue...
Because it's a device you should be able to control fully with just a remote. Now I am being forced to plug something else in and have another input device .

With Pi / KODi i can control the whole system with my 8-10 year old TV remote. Then they also have a great app for controlling via smart device ... So heavy text input etc is a bit easier .

No such features with this mygica box. Maybe androidTV has this functionality. Returned mines now. Will wait and do more research or just buy another appleTV :(

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Because it's a device you should be able to control fully with just a remote. Now I am being forced to plug something else in and have another input device .

With Pi / KODi i can control the whole system with my 8-10 year old TV remote. Then they also have a great app for controlling via smart device ... So heavy text input etc is a bit easier .

No such features with this mygica box. Maybe androidTV has this functionality. Returned mines now. Will wait and do more research or just buy another appleTV :(
You should maybe have tried the 495 pro instead of the x...

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
You should maybe have tried the 495 pro instead of the x...
Does the pro allow you never to use a mouse or virtual mouse to navigate the system? Does only the pro have HDMI-CEC control or voice input enabled ? If so I may give it a try.

SL1v3R

Does the pro allow you never to use a mouse or virtual mouse to navigate the system? Does only the pro have HDMI-CEC control or voice input enabled ? If so I may give it a try.
My recommendation would be to stick with Google certified devices which will contain Widevine level 1 drm which many apps require to access HD playback. The Mi Box and now Telkom Lit are the most cost effective while top end would be Nvidia Shield TV. All the boxes mentioned run Android TV as well instead of a modified version of Android for phones/tablets.

djbrendan

Expert Member
My recommendation would be to stick with Google certified devices which will contain Widevine level 1 drm which many apps require to access HD playback. The Mi Box and now Telkom Lit are the most cost effective while top end would be Nvidia Shield TV. All the boxes mentioned run Android TV as well instead of a modified version of Android for phones/tablets.
Telkom Lit? i thought that was just a service you subscribe to...

EDIT.So phoned them, the device comes free with a 10mbps adsl contract or you can go buy it in store for R1100

Last edited:

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
My box has 4gb of ram and 32GB storage.. But it's crazy to still see bloody DStv now and showmax run like crap :D