Mystery around Mmusi Maimane and 'his' R3.85m Claremont house

lumeer

Rent will NOT be market related. Why else would he even mention it? The guilty always make a point about the thing they are trying to hide when not asked.
Because, were he to admit to paying say R 25 K rent per month for his second house, his political adversaries will use this against him.

lumeer

Because he wasn't asked about the rent. He was asked about whether or not he owned the house. So he replies with an extraneous 'fact' no-one asked him about.

Do you own the house?

No, I'm renting it. But the rent is market related!

Dude no-one asked, so why mention it? The fact that it was thrown out there makes it questionable. Either it is not market related or it is market related and he threw the fact in to hide something else. Either way, it's a red flag.
Nowhere in the article is what you wrote, written.

surface

Executive Member
What is the fuss? It seems he over-declared the property by listing rented property as well? I am just surprised that he declared a rented property as one of his assets - quite a naive thing to do considering his position.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't get what the problem is. Surely it would have been worse to not declare a house that he owned. In this case he's declared something that he doesn't own which for the purposes of the parliamentary registry is neither here nor there. The whole point of the parliamentary registry is catch out politicians lying about assets that they DO have, not assets that they don't have.

thechamp

Honorary Master
What is the fuss? It seems he over-declared the property by listing rented property as well? I am just surprised that he declared a rented property as one of his assets - quite a naive thing to do considering his position.
Maybe he felt inadequate amongst the ANC cadres declaring multiple properties.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Rent will NOT be market related. Why else would he even mention it? The guilty always make a point about the thing they are trying to hide when not asked.
I’m sure it will be much cheaper, otherwise what’s the benefit to him.

Still it sure what there is to be guilty about. This is a non-story if I’ve ever seen one.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Wow! What is wrong with these politicians and lying? WTF did he think no one would notice? They should all have Pinocchio noses installed! :mad:

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
I’m sure it will be much cheaper, otherwise what’s the benefit to him.

Still it sure what there is to be guilty about. This is a non-story if I’ve ever seen one.
because lying is bad? even if it is what politicians do like other people breath air.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
because lying is bad? even if it is what politicians do like other people breath air.
And how do we know it was lying?

More than likely it’s an administrative failure he wasn’t even aware of and one of his assistants cocked it.

ponder

Honorary Master
Ok I don't like him fsckall and if he gets booted I would be happy so let's play devils advocate here. Let's assume for a second it was not some mistake by him or whoever compiled his list of assets/benefits/income etc, let's assume he knowingly and willingly declared a rental property as his own. What possible benefits could be derived from that? Think about it for a second, hell take a day or two if you must, the answer will be interesting, I can fully understand not declaring or under-declaring but over declaring?

rietrot

Honorary Master
I understand being skelm and under reporting,(hiding assets), but what is the benefit of over reporting?

ponder

Honorary Master
I understand being skelm and under reporting,(hiding assets), but what is the benefit of over reporting?
I'm hoping zoomzoom can elaborate on that as i sure as hell also want to know.