Nagios free / commercial (or alternative)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Anyone using Nagios on their systems? How much of a PITA do you find configuring the free edition and does it warrant the $2k price tag in your opinion? Any alternatives you could recommend? I've used it for basic uptime and stuff but not extensively for app service monitoring, but want to consider it.
Thanks!

Lupus

Honorary Master
Used it for about 12 years now, generally you only do the configs once in awhile. Don't think it's worth to pay for though.
I monitor a lot of things via custom scripts, tape library scratch tapes, drives and such, our app as well and Activemq.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Used it for about 12 years now, generally you only do the configs once in awhile. Don't think it's worth to pay for though.
I monitor a lot of things via custom scripts, tape library scratch tapes, drives and such, our app as well and Activemq.
Cool, was thinking the same - scripts shouldn't be too much headache other than initial setup. Do you receive proactive alerts (email / sms)?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Cool, was thinking the same - scripts shouldn't be too much headache other than initial setup. Do you receive proactive alerts (email / sms)?
Set it up so only critical sends emails, you can setup an SMS but we don't have grapevine or something similar to do that.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Set it up so only critical sends emails, you can setup an SMS but we don't have grapevine or something similar to do that.
You could configure a contact to trigger a command that will trigger a python script to send a SMS via AWS SNS..

100 free SMS's a month for the duration of the free tier..

If you are very interested in getting a SMS for critical issues...

frodob

I extensively use a combination of Prometheus, Grafana, AlertManager, and various exporters to monitor many systems. For server monitoring, for Linux you can use Node Exporter, and for Windows you can use WMI Exporter. All of these components work very well together, and are pretty much becoming the monitoring standard. You might find it a bit of a steep learning curve, but it is well worth the effort.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I extensively use a combination of Prometheus, Grafana, AlertManager, and various exporters to monitor many systems. For server monitoring, for Linux you can use Node Exporter, and for Windows you can use WMI Exporter. All of these components work very well together, and are pretty much becoming the monitoring standard. You might find it a bit of a steep learning curve, but it is well worth the effort.
Can you TL;DR the niches that each are suited for? I started separate threads but basically want vulnerability detection, system performance monitoring including uptime and intrusion detection (a bit more complex - possibly a NIDS approach).
We have intruder.io for vulnerability assessment and want to add Nagios (or other) for performance and uptime monitoring... I've also looked at Data Dog but not sure if it's required... For IDS I'm still undecided.

OCP

Expert Member
Same - have numerous docker/vm's/rbp's with Nagios monitoring various sites.
Look at https://nemslinux.com/ if you want super simple and quick deployment.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Zabbix is the way to go, while the learning curve is steep is far simpler to manage than Nagios. A big selling point is the fact that you can have agents call home over the internet rather than ensuring that your Zabbix Server can reach all agents.

I've primarily used it in windows shops and have yet to come across something that can't be monitored by it.

Integrating with Grafana is dead simple and so is sending alerts over something like Telegram or Teams.

With a bit of effort automating deployment is possible allowing for a mostly set and forget setup.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Zabbix is the way to go, while the learning curve is steep is far simpler to manage than Nagios. A big selling point is the fact that you can have agents call home over the internet rather than ensuring that your Zabbix Server can reach all agents.

I've primarily used it in windows shops and have yet to come across something that can't be monitored by it.

Integrating with Grafana is dead simple and so is sending alerts over something like Telegram or Teams.

With a bit of effort automating deployment is possible allowing for a mostly set and forget setup.
Details on install are pretty decent - I like their 'select your server config' and relevant instructions that follow.