Nashua R139.00 "Deal"

Daveogg

Expert Member
Just a heads up for anyone considering signing a 12 month contract with Nashua, in exchange for the Billion router, the router is "locked" to nashua - you wont be able to authenticate with any other ISP.

If you require additional bandwidth you will be paying Nashua R95.00 / Gig for shaped bandwidth that does not roll over.

Suddenly this "deal" is not so attractive anymore.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Wow, that really is the suck. Why on earth would anyone want to do that? :(

KruiserX

I remember mweb doing the same with their dailup modems. The modems were supercheap but will only work with mweb accounts. We just flashed the modems with the latest firmware and after that we had a modem that worked on any network for a fraction of the cost.
This is most probably the same case here. I don't know if Nashua's Billion allows firmware updates but the firmware is here orhere.
Maybe that helps somebody.

PS. R95/GB is just stupid, I pay that for unshaped.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Damm I really actually wanted to change to them but cybersmart made me a good deal to stay with them and not change. I think cybersmart is serious to not loose their customers :)

LancelotSA

Banned
Has somebody flashed this router yet?

I signed up due to the costs being cheaper than the 384k line rental alone with Telkom but use of the wifi router would be nice.... I have just got the router sitting here as I use RouteSentry and can't get the Billion bridged obviously because it is locked so using my old SMC.

If someone has successfully "flashed" it please let me know. Thanks

Yotch

Expert Member
@LancelotSA: If you look on the 7300G menus under Configuration -> System -> Firmware Upgrade, is this menu still available? I wouldn't try to upgrade your router yet until you have confirmation that this can be done safely. Sometimes it's not so simple to reflash a locked router as the Firmware Upgrade menu is disabled.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well yes thats the main reason! I mean its cheaper than the line rental @ telkom so anything you get extra is kinda a bargin!

LancelotSA

Banned
@LancelotSA: If you look on the 7300G menus under Configuration -> System -> Firmware Upgrade, is this menu still available? I wouldn't try to upgrade your router yet until you have confirmation that this can be done safely. Sometimes it's not so simple to reflash a locked router as the Firmware Upgrade menu is disabled.

I'll have a look.... as stated I'm not using it, using my SMC, so I will plug it in and have a look.

Strobemeister

Expert Member
Mweb still do this with their usb modems. You can't use any other account on their hardware. It's a load of rubbish practice, especially in the situation we find ourselves in here in SA, where we shop around for local and international accounts, often seperately, and from different ISPs.

Daveogg

Expert Member

The firmware upgrade menu option is still available, but when you try flash it with the latest generic firmware available it gives an error message something along the line of "wrong firmware version". It then reflashes the factory firmware with the router "locked". At least i did not brick it lol.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Do these routers use GPL code? I thought they ran linux.

Bring a complaint against them. I think that is what was done to get rid of cellphone locking.

LancelotSA

Banned
Do these routers use GPL code? I thought they ran linux.

Bring a complaint against them. I think that is what was done to get rid of cellphone locking.

Everyone who uses them should complain... it says nothing in the advertising about it being a locked router. What are you meant to do after the 12 months if you no longer want to use Nashua? You have a fancy door stop?

Does anyone know where you would complain to?

lexor

Expert Member
I seriously can't think of one good thing to say about Nashua Mobile.

LancelotSA

Banned
I seriously can't think of one good thing to say about Nashua Mobile.

Well as stated earlier... the R139 I pay them is still cheaper than the 384k line rental I'd pay with Telkom and I get 1Gb thrown in.... and a router I may one day be able to flash! :)

pkid

Expert Member
Lol. So that was their plan to make money off people. Priceless...oh wait R139... :D

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just a heads up for anyone considering signing a 12 month contract with Nashua, in exchange for the Billion router, the router is "locked" to nashua - you wont be able to authenticate with any other ISP.

If you require additional bandwidth you will be paying Nashua R95.00 / Gig for shaped bandwidth that does not roll over.

Suddenly this "deal" is not so attractive anymore.
Assuming - even though not specifically mentioned - that bridged mode is blocked there's nothing preventing you from using your own router is there?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Assuming - even though not specifically mentioned - that bridged mode is blocked there's nothing preventing you from using your own router is there?

But then what to do with the router that you got with the deal?