Nashua R139.00 "Deal"

mujabees

100% firmware upgrade a damn lie.

The serial option to gain access to router failed or at least my skill level prevents me from getting any where.

Actually got the damn web config to do firmware upgrade to 100% even with Nashuas latest firmware but that failed hopelessly in the end.

The damn upgrade page said everything went well but when i restarted router it showed nashua firmware. Noticed an opening to go past 3% failure to write to flash error though.

Method:
=>In the web config for the router choose to upgrade with the latest firmware.(Just in case it goes through).
=>it should go to like 3% after which it would complain about wrong firmware or something.
=>clicking ok should present you with another screen for which is says router is going to restart dont click on the ok just yet.
=>open another browser window and go into the gui again
=> choose to upgrade and select the firmware dont upgrade just yet
=> arrange windows vertically to make this easier
=>click on the ok button to restart router and as soon as thats been done click on the upgrade button on the other screen.

It should lock the restart from going through and the upgrade should carry on. The problem with this is that it only looks like something is being done but not sure if anything is actually happening. If anyone has any more insight please feel free to share.

Just to note my personal opinion "I HATE NASHUA MOBILE AND THE STAFF THAT WORK THERE EVEN MORE THAN TELKOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11":mad:

Last edited:

psivius

Billion 7401VGP Unlock Attempt

I finally made an attempt to unlock my Billion 7401VGP router using the emergency recovery method.

Just to confirm the telnet option does not work AFAIK because the commands to change the username and password are not recognized once logged in.

After downloading the emergency recovery utility from the website:
http://au.billion.com/support/bipac7401vgp.php
I copied the recovery application and firmware image into a folder.

These are the steps I then proceeded to follow:

1) Made sure the computer had a static IP address (192.168.1.10)
2) Connected normal LAN cable from router LAN 1 to computer.
3) Plugged the adapter that was included with router into the serial port on computer & connect this to LAN 4 on router via lan cable.
4) Disabled all firewalls.
6) Turned router off
7) Ran the emergency utility
8) Selected COM1, entered 254 fox the Device IP entry and selected
the emergency recovery image for the firmware (PCrange-7401VGPv505.cem)

After Pressing OK the application basically guides you through the process:
* Turn off router Press next
* Turn router back on Press next (you dont have to press next)
* Router starts to boot and the application prompts whether to boot off the ethernet or the flash E/F.

By pressing either option I get the below error message.

Login: SDRAM size = 0x1000000
PLL indicates clock speed set to maximum value of 96MHz
MAC 0:4:ed:76:7:b
Boot from Ethernet or Flash? (E/F)
Booting from Ethernet

Press Esc to abort tftp download.
boot
boot
boot
Booting 'PCrange-7401VGPv505.cem'
Done! (0x4a0000 bytes)
Tftp image successfully relocated

NPnAllocatable memory starts @ 0x4b7c00, end @ 0x1000000
No, or invalid, configuration information in EEPROM - trying FLASH
Valid configuration (size 256)
Flash Rewrite version 5.03.emg (19 August 2005)
BSP: A+/G/VO v1.00
CSP: Argon 4x2 CSP v1.0 (ISOS 9.0)
CPU: Argon 432 (0x34325247 "GR24")
Copyright (c) 2004 Conexant Systems Ltd.
Quantum>
NP software version is 0x00000900 (reply took 8us)
Tell flashfs deviceid (MWEB7403A)
Tell flashfs emergency emergency.bin
Device id is 'MWEB7403A' but emergency file file DEVICE_ID '7403A'
*** EMERGENCY UPDATE FAILED ***

I then proceeded to hex edit the emergency recovery image to change the DEVICE_ID from '7403A' to 'MWEB7403A' but to no avail. I tried various entry points to the string but I still kept getting the same error message with no difference to the DEVICE_ID for the emergency file.

I got exactly the same response using a different method:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1046918&r=16557837
#r16557837 <--- (add this to the above line in your address bar to go to the exact post, its the second last post on the page)

The key, I imagine, is in changing the device_id in the emergency recovery file. I just looked up the plain text for 'device_id' and '7403' in the file. Maybe there is another entry somewhere else in the file that needs to be updated as well.

Anybody have any luck in dumping the firmware from the router?

Till later then...

atomic007za

Making the adapter for BiPAC7401VGP

So this router can't be unlocked?

I have the same problem and I lost my adapter

It would seem as thow it cant, but am discussing this issue with Billion SA

If however ppl have lost there adapter here is a way to make your own.

You Need
a Serial Port - Female
Soldering Iron
Network Cable
RJ 45
Crimper

RJ 45 config, as per normal, Green/W,Green,Orange/W,Blue,Blue/W,Orange,Brown/W,Brown

if you looking from the front of the com port, the non soldering side, the pins numbers start from top right to top left

so they look something like this

Solder on the back of the above no.

Pin 2 Blue
Pin 3 Blue/White
Pin 5 Brown

Thats it.

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, if not I'm very sorry.:eek:

pjvvuuren

Still a Lie

I just received my router from Nashua yesterday and it is also locked. It says so on the box but it a shame that it didn't say that anywhere on their website. I was on the phone with them and I communicated via email but I was not once told that the router is locked.

Cybersmart offers the same package for R169 although you don't get a wireless router, it seems that it is not locked.

I agree that this is ridiculous and if anyone finds a solution for the 5200G RS4 Billion router, please let me know.:mad:

finominal

I got to the exact same point as you PSIVIUS. I downloaded a hex program and tried to edit the string but no luck at all. Please let me know if you find a way to get past the dreaded message of the device_id.

psivius

Hey there fino,

This is definitely something that is always in the back of my mind, though I've not really picked it up since my last attempt.

What router are you using? And is it a MWEB or NASHUA router?

finominal

I don't have any programming skills, don't even know why I attempted to mess with the files anyway might just have done more harm then good. Oh well atleast my router is still alive and kicking ;-)

psivius

Keep it up finom! Thats the best way to learn... get your hands dirty!
Will keep you posted...

ADSL_User

Hi there,

Could you please provide the port number for telnet access? Is it 23? Also, which option under Configuration->Advanced->Device Management do I select to enable telnet access?

Thanks.

johnnyvr

Hi,
I know this thread has been dead for a while now, but if anyone is still interested you can have your Billion 7300 router unlocked at a Nashua Mobile service centre.
The only condition is that it must be outside of the 12 month contract period.
I took mine to the Tygervalley branch. Had to wait about 30mins while they unlocked it.

I received a Billion 5000 series router when renewing my contract after the first 12 months. Have not tried to get that unlocked yet.

Although the R139 offer is not available anymore I'm still paying R139/m three years down the line. That still a good price considering it includes ADSL line rental.

Not sure what Nashua charges for topup these days, but I get mine from Afrihost.
Very good deals on contract and prepaid data.

HandyTechTipper

WiFi router unlocked when extending for another 12 months

I also extended my NashuaMobile contract by another 12 months and asked for another free WiFi router.

I needed to pay R80 for the upgrade fee plus R60 for the delivery fee.

The router provided was a Billion BiPAC 5200G RC and it was unlocked so I could connect to any ISP

Rgds

HTT