Nasty toll prices for Cape Town may be coming

blunt

Expert Member
getImage.aspx

Ok looks like I miss it by a ball-hair.

Pox

Expert Member
How exactly do you keep 48bn a secret though? Not exactly an expense one can bury easily.

I think they are/were trying to keep it a secret until after the road upgrades have started, so that it is too late then to ask them to stop wasting money.
Exactly as the did in Gauteng.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I think they are/were trying to keep it a secret until after the road upgrades have started, so that it is too late then to ask them to stop wasting money.
Exactly as the did in Gauteng.

If the contract is signed sealed and delivered, it is already too late not so?

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Just how the F#$%$# did they come up with R48 billion??!!!!
And then have a contract that guarantees them that money?!
Sounds like moerse corruption. cANCer style.

Edit: From the posted map that would be 6 tollgates at a whopping R8 billion each!

Last edited:

biometrics

Honorary Master
http://ewn.co.za/2015/03/30/Sanrals-proposed-toll-project-now-available-for-the-public

N1/N2 toll project documents no longer secret

JOHANNESBURG - The Supreme Court of Appeal on Monday overturned a Western Cape High Court ruling which has essentially kept the details surrounding South African National Road Agency Limited’s (Sanral) controversial N1/N2 Winelands Toll Project out of the public domain.

The City of Cape Town has been fighting Sanral’s proposed project since 2012, and a legal review is expected in August.

The city wants the project to be scrapped.

The High Court last year ruled that Sanral’s court papers in response to the city’s application remain sealed until the review was heard in court.

This meant all supplementary papers and answering affidavits dealing with the review application had to be kept secret.

The city’s Brett Herron says this decision has now been overturned.

“We're able to discuss with the public our papers that are filed in the review application. We can share with the public the information that we've put before the court, as to the impact of the proposed tolling of the N1 and N2.”

The High Court’s decision also had widespread implications for people trying to access court documents in general.

CITY RELEASES DETAILS

The city wasted no time in releasing information about the controversial project, which until today was deemed confidential.

Hardly an hour after the SCA in Bloemfontein handed down judgment, city officials released a statement detailing some of the information contained in court papers.

It revealed that motorists will pay toll tariffs nearly three times that of the e-toll tariffs being charged by the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project.

The Protea Parkways Consortium which has been awarded the tender, is expected to rake in an estimated R48 billion in revenue.

Court papers also revealed the decision to toll the roads was taken by Sanral Chief Executive Officer Nazir Alli and not the agency's board as required by legislation.

PROJECT MANAGERS STAND TO GAIN BILLIONS

It’s emerged the consortium picked to manage Sanral’s proposed toll project stands to make an estimated R48 billion in revenue when the initiative is implemented.

This was revealed by the City of Cape Town on Monday after it was given the go ahead to release information.

Herron said information, including how much motorists were set to pay, was now publicly available.

In 2013 the City was granted an interim interdict preventing Sanral from going ahead with the project, pending the review.

The city wants the project to be scrapped because it will impact the province’s poor.

Juzz Wuzz

Well I live in Cape Town, never driven in Joburg and get the occasional e-Toll bill from stolen / illegal number plates. I've ignored all of them and will continue to do so. If they come to put them here, I'll join the protesting and still refuse to pay.

I don't see why we need this? Our roads are well maintained and theres always improvements being done all over the place. Surely they have enough funds for this currently?

Pox

Expert Member
Also 48 Billion is only the possible price. If we judge it by the gauteng mess, then it will be upwards of 200 Billion

spiff

Executive Member
but don't these e-tolls come from white colonists ? :twisted:

perhaps we should through shiit all over the e-tolls ;)

Tricky

F@rking greedy pigs acquired a new meaning for me in SA terms. Just call them e-toll PPC's.

What are the Capetonians saying now? Still rather want E-tollies instead of a fuel levy? Cum now, you all were mostly loud mouthed about the Gauteng e-toll saga.

I'm in Cape Town. I've *never* heard a Capetonian say e-tolls would be better than a fuel levy.

Budza

Executive Member
What is the law RE non-payment at the Hugenot Tunnel? IE, you rock up there and block a lane because you forgot to bring cash/card is maxxed out or whatever?

Pox

Expert Member
What is the law RE non-payment at the Hugenot Tunnel? IE, you rock up there and block a lane because you forgot to bring cash/card is maxxed out or whatever?

There is still the original Du Toit's pass to go over, you are not forced to use the tunnel. Beautiful drive btw, but it takes maybe 20 minutes longer.

Goliath

Expert Member
Anyway how we can throw our support behind this in some other way to oppose this.. fkn madness! :mad: