National lockdown looms for South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
National lockdown looms for South Africa

South Africa could be only days away from a national shutdown if the number of coronavirus cases continue to increase rapidly.

This is according to a report in The Star newspaper, which said the number of community infections can be much higher than the official numbers.

Yesterday Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced that there are now 202 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus in South Africa.

now05ster

Expert Member
Pardon my ignorance here... What exactly does a lockdown entail? Who and when can one get foodstuffs etc?

johnstede

There is no other option but to have a full nation lockdown. Look what is happening in Italy, 627 deaths in 24hrs. Over 4000 deaths. Doctors from Italy has pleaded for other nations not to wait until its to late and out of control. UK has just introduced a full lockdown. USA has already introduced lockdown is some states. Soon it will be a full lockdown.
202 cases in South Africa is not the real figure. Its much more than the 202 confirmed cases.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
We are halfway there already but people are also being stupid. My family is already self-isolated, I'm working from home and the kids are doing homework/school work. We only go out to buy food if necessary and I just did a purchase on Friday so we good for about a week, a month if we had to stretch, possibly more.

Reactions: air

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Will it work though? Especially here in Cape Town, people are addicted to the outdoors! Lovely seeing people cycling, running etc. on this glorious Saturday morning.

The better it is adhered to, the better chance of it being effective.

Tho my biggest concern are all those who walk down a isle at the local emporium, picking up and putting items, they have no intention of buying back on the shelf.

Lukitz

Pardon my ignorance here... What exactly does a lockdown entail? Who and when can one get foodstuffs etc?

All commercial and retail businesses except those providing essential services, like grocery stores, food stores, and pharmacies, will be closed down. You are allowed to get food and essentials from your local store. The army and police might close off roads to highly infected quarantined zones ontop of the self-quarantine. Public transport will also be suspended.

now05ster

Expert Member
All commercial and retail businesses except those providing essential services, like grocery stores, food stores, and pharmacies, will be closed down. You are allowed to get food and essentials from your local store. The army and police might close off roads to highly infected quarantined zones ontop of the self-quarantine.
I think it's a sensible option.

MirageF1

Executive Member
I keep a little bottle of dispensed sanitizer at all times in my pocket when I'm out...in my car as well.

Use it frequently to sanitize my hands during a shopping excursion,etc...

Plastic tablet containers work wonders, flip lids and tight fitting to lessen chance of spillage.

IMG_20200321_100655.jpg

garp

Executive Member
Never gonna happen, there is no chance that people here will adhere to it
Middle class suburbia will adhere to it, townships and informal settlements, not so much.

The result will be that it will spread like wildfire outside of the middle class areas, and the predictable narrative will be all about how racist it all is that black people are so disproportionately infected. That's how we roll here.

tRoN

Executive Member
Got this WhatsApp voice recording where a “good friend” told him that it will be announced this evening

chrisc

Executive Member
Walked the dog this morning for 45 mins. Not another person in the streets. I usually see at least 10. Two cyclists passed by

chrisc

Executive Member
I want to know if everyone will get paid.

Quite possibly not

An NGO in Wynberg let go 22 out of 35 staff and closed the office
My income from rentals has dropped 45%
Friend's wife at CT airport sells perfumes. Usually R8k a day turnover. Since Monday it has gone down to R380 yesterday
School still wants their fees, council want their rates paid
Bank want their mortgage
Many people rely 100% on their monthly income. Same lady whose weekly income dropped from R9000 ro R1200 asked council if she could defer rates payment. The quick answer was that unless she paid, her house would be auctioned