National lockdown looms for South Africa

VooDooC

Posts on whatsapp now flying around left right and center making it difficult to figure out what exactly is true or not. Do we need to have a mask and gloves when going out to the shop or pharmacy?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Posts on whatsapp now flying around left right and center making it difficult to figure out what exactly is true or not. Do we need to have a mask and gloves when going out to the shop or pharmacy?
No..

Read the Government Gazette 43148 . That is what you can do/have to do..

Everything else is bollocks (even though some of the stuff in 43148 is bollocks)

daveza

Honorary Master
Uhm no, and even if you did you have more chance of buying a blue unicorn.

nightjar

Expert Member
A question which may have been asked & answered in the preceding 27 pages.

Many senior citizens live alone with only a cat or dog for company.
It's almost certain that some of those people will, in the next three weeks, need emergency hospitalization for stroke, heart attack etc.
What measures will be taken to safeguard the pets involved and would a relative be allowed to remove the animal(s) if necessary?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
So I'm ' kuiering ' up the road tonight, about 1km away.

If I for some reason miss the pumpkin-time curfew and drive back at 7am tomorrow, what are my chances of getting shot ?
Zero, no one, except those on their way to work, will be awake.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

It's almost certain that some of those people will, in the next three weeks, need emergency hospitalization for stroke, heart attack etc.
What measures will be taken to safeguard the pets involved and would a relative be allowed to remove the animal(s) if necessary?
Technically no they wouldn't... but plans will probably be made.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

In the rare event that it does happen, the SPCA should have credentials, and may be able to do the transfer. Assuming they aren't too busy with other things...

The more you examine these regulations, the more ridiculous they become.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Driver alone? One or more passengers?
Supposedly only one shopper per household. Unless the shopper can't drive, or the husband has the credit card, or an elderly person can't carry parcels. Or...

My head hurts. Trying to rewrite the rules of an entire society in one week. This is like a Kafka dystopian story...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My step-sis met the unions today. Thought you guys might be interested to know that their reps are 100% confident that this was planned from the start as a 6 week shutdown. The latter half will be announced near the end of the first half.

saor

Honorary Master
My step-sis met the unions today. Thought you guys might be interested to know that their reps are 100% confident that this was planned from the start as a 6 week shutdown. The latter half will be announced near the end of the first half.
The only way to deal with this thing is as it happens. I'm getting so tired of everyone thinking they've got a legit inside source. Maybe you do, but I think most people are just ignoring stuff like this anyway. Does nothing useful.

Edit
/Long day and too many WhatsApp forwards. I know you just sharing :)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The only way to deal with this thing is as it happens. I'm getting so tired of everyone thinking they've got a legit inside source. Maybe you do, but I think most people are just ignoring stuff like this anyway. Does nothing useful.
They might be misinformed or the plan could change, but the union reps are very seldom inaccurate. Their sources run pretty much to the top.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
They might be misinformed or the plan could change, but the union reps are very seldom inaccurate. Their sources run pretty much to the top.
It was pretty obvious that things can't return to "normal" after 21 days. What should happen is a careful evaluation of the growth rate of new infections, and a judgement call on what aspects of social distancing need to be continued. Rinse and repeat every 3 weeks...

Swa

Honorary Master
A further extension would require a vote in parliament. So not really something you can plan.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see Ramaphosa is telling the army that they are deployed to save lives... We are invaded by an invisible enemy, a bit odd to call the contagion an enemy, but okay.