Need a 2008 Citi Golf Bonnet (Cape Town) - SO HARD TO FIND!!!!

Deago999

I have a 2008 Citi Sport 1.4i, I bought it from a private seller who of course didnt disclose many things. But I had the bonnet resprayed because the it had been in a minor bumper bash which had dented the bonnet and chipped the paint. But the original owners did a quick aesthetic job and the paint was bubbling and cracking. I had it resprayed again but I was warned that it would happen again (And so it did). So im looking for another bonnet to be resprayed, but I have called about 20 scrap yards and they are either all sold out or they are pirate parts. Im looking for second hand original.

I live in Cape Town, and tried many people.
Does anyone have a mint condition one for sale? Or know where I can get one?

Any help would be appriciated :)

grim

Expert Member
You don't need a new one, you just need to take it to someone that knows what they are doing and doesn't fckup the prep work before spraying it.

Deago999

It was perfect when it was resprayed. He had to respay it 3 times before the pain would set properly, he had to use extra hardener too.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
You do know that you won't need a specific 2008 bonnet.. Mostly a bonnet for a citi golf would work.

grim

Expert Member
It was perfect when it was resprayed. He had to respay it 3 times before the pain would set properly, he had to use extra hardener too.

He being a friend or a professional that does it for a living?

That doesn't sound right at all

Deago999

I was wondering that ... Im just worried that the fitments changed? Like i know 99% of golfs are the smae but for instance, Velociti indicator lamps have different connectors than Cito golfs. ... just bacuase VW like being difficult :p

Deago999

Well he worked as a panel beater for 22 years, but left to work for himself. He has done many respray jobs for me, like bumper respray aon my isuzu bakkie (minor paint chip) size of a R2 coin, and then a large scratch on my 2010 Chevvy Opel Utility.

what would make the paint bubble and split?

Fox1

Executive Member
The chassis itself should be the same. Any good spares shop or scrapyard should know which ones are compatible. It's just the position on the hinges and the front end catches that need to be matching.

berrypi

same bonnet across the board. And if done right shouldnt peel or crack, unless extensive amounts of filler used, considering its sitting above a hot motor.... had my bonnet touched up 3yrs back, and no issues.

grim

Expert Member
Well he worked as a panel beater for 22 years, but left to work for himself. He has done many respray jobs for me, like bumper respray aon my isuzu bakkie (minor paint chip) size of a R2 coin, and then a large scratch on my 2010 Chevvy Opel Utility.

what would make the paint bubble and split?

Generally it's due to incorrect or lack of preparation before the paint goes on or the use of incorrect primer and/or paint.

The surface needs to be sanded down and cleaned before any fresh primer/paint goes onto it, even the oil from a hand print can eventually lead to the paint bubbling and peeling.

Fox1

Executive Member
Generally it's due to incorrect or lack of preparation before the paint goes on or the use of incorrect primer and/or paint.

The surface needs to be sanded down and cleaned before any fresh primer/paint goes onto it, even the oil from a hand print can eventually lead to the paint bubbling and peeling.

+1 Also, using extra hardener can cause this.

Deago999

So Extra Info - I called the guy, he said when he resprayed it there was filler on the bonnet, hence the bubbling and cracking.
Which makes sense.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nope, that doesn't make sense....

Why would filler on the bonnet make the paint bubble and crack?... Panel beaters use filler on all parts of a vehicle and the paint doesn't bubble or crack.

berrypi

which adds to my previous comment... get another bonnet. The temp. fluctuation will be an issue, unless they use a flexible filler and some flexi coat on the paint mix to allow for the flexing... however its drawbacks means its softer and prone to chips

berrypi

Nope, that doesn't make sense....

Why would filler on the bonnet make the paint bubble and crack?... Panel beaters use filler on all parts of a vehicle and the paint doesn't bubble or crack.

the rapid and constant change in temp means there is expansion and contraction. Filler is like a paste, when dried, the constant sudden temp changes and eventually makes the filler crack. Its not the same when used on lets say a door.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
the rapid and constant change in temp means there is expansion and contraction. Filler is like a paste, when dried, the constant sudden temp changes and eventually makes the filler crack. Its not the same when used on lets say a door.

Agreed...

but you would have to have used EXTENSIVE amounts of filler for that too happen..... and if that's the case, the bonnet should have been replaced anyway since it would never fit properly ever again.

Deago999

Thats the problem LOL, Motor spares for the Citi Golf? By the dozen ... when it comes to panels ... omg dont get me started!
A lot of golfs being stripped apart, were accident damage, which subsequently means the front is wrecked ...
And pirate parts are always thinner in metal, dont fit exact, missing holes etc.
And the places that did have sold out in like 2 days ... NADA ...

Deago999

The bonnet doesnt sit perfectly flush anyway, the lines on the side etc. I cant see the filler myself.

berrypi

Agreed...

but you would have to have used EXTENSIVE amounts of filler for that too happen..... and if that's the case, the bonnet should have been replaced anyway since it would never fit properly ever again.

Yeah... that is correct... then they need to add some of that flexi stuff to it... cant get to the name and yes, surface prep is 80% of the job