Need a dental implant - maxillofacial surgeon or periodontist? Incl doc's name please

XīnYōu

I need a recommendation please - having a tooth out tomorrow and I need an implant done (& a crown) when the jaw has healed. I'm not sure which speciality handles it better? Also need the name of a doc please. I'm on the East Rand but will travel to Jhb, Pta etc to see a highly recommended practitioner. Many thanks

AdrianH

Expert Member
I need a recommendation please - having a tooth out tomorrow and I need an implant done (& a crown) when the jaw has healed. I'm not sure which speciality handles it better? Also need the name of a doc please. I'm on the East Rand but will travel to Jhb, Pta etc to see a highly recommended practitioner. Many thanks
You still looking for a some info?

mandana

Expert Member
Dr Greg Boyes-Varley
Mediclinic Morningside - Gauteng

Tel No: 011 7846456

Worked brilliantly for me.

Brawler

Honorary Master
If you don't mind me asking, did you guys get an implant because it was one of your front, visible teeth? Reason I ask is I had a tooth pulled at the back, next to molar which can't be seen unless I open super wide. I'm wondering about just leaving a gap as it can't be seen and isn't affecting me at all.

I also don't want to spend R25 000 on something that has a 20% chance of not working properly and needing to come back out.

AdrianH

Expert Member
If you don't mind me asking, did you guys get an implant because it was one of your front, visible teeth? Reason I ask is I had a tooth pulled at the back, next to molar which can't be seen unless I open super wide. I'm wondering about just leaving a gap as it can't be seen and isn't affecting me at all.

I also don't want to spend R25 000 on something that has a 20% chance of not working properly and needing to come back out.
I had a top canine removed as I had a root canal when I was very young and the root of the tooth basically "dissolved" over the years. I then had a denture (kind of like those plate braces) for a couple years. The problem is that the bone where the tooth was pulled from, began to weaken and deteriorate. This is normal as the bone gets no pressure from the missing tooth. The longer you wait, the implant has less of a chance of success. But even after a few years, I think now days the success rate is above 85%. So I had the initial screw implant done in December 2013, went for checkup in February and need to go back now and it will be checked to ensure that the bone is growing and attaching to the screw. This first phase process takes from 6 to 12 months. Once the bone and screw have bonded, another inner screw with a knob on top is screwed into the original screw. Then you go for you crown.

If I were you, go for a consultation and see what the doc says.