Need a lift over a short distance in Durban central everyday, can anyone help?

newjourno

I am planning to move into a flat near North Beach soon and need a lift from there to near the Greyville Racecourse. I have been trying to find a good public transport route but none seem to stop nearby. I know the People Mover which is cheap stops about 1.7 km from Greyville and while it is walk-able, it is not exactly safe especially as I carry my laptop.

Please let me know if anyone travels between the two routes during the day. I will be happy to give you a fee for your time and petrol.

tRoN

Executive Member
My suggestion is OP should befriend an Uber driver and make an arrangement for a monthly fee for the trip.

newjourno

Uber/Bolt?
I will be happy to do that every once in a while but R1200 per month for a trip less than 3km one-way just seems a bit too much for me. If I was a senior staff member on a higher salary, I would have considered it.

newjourno

If there are any individuals who are streetsmart with regards to public transport, please suggest a service that I could use from around Suncoast to Greyville that is safe. I know the People Mover stops around Kendra Hall which is not exactly ideal as I will carry a Laptop.

Ecko_1

We lived near there at the time and I worked in the CBD 5km away. I used to cycle 3 or 4 times a week to work as it turned out quicker than driving. Maybe look at cycling.

Last edited:

Ecko_1

We lived near there at the time and I worked in the CBD 5km away. I used to cycle 3 or 4 times a week to work as it turned out quicker than driving. Maybe look at cycling.
It's all flat in the area so you shouldn't break a sweat. As long as you can handle yourself on a bike and are alert you should be fine.

Last edited:

Ecko_1

If you can walk to umgeni road you should be able to take a short taxi ride to game city and walk the rest of the way. Also not the best area to walk with a laptop though.

newjourno

If you can walk to umgeni road you should be able to take a short taxi ride to game city and walk the rest of the way. Also not the best area to walk with a laptop though.
That is what I was worrying about. Would you say it is fine walking without a laptop?

saor

Honorary Master
I will be happy to do that every once in a while but R1200 per month for a trip less than 3km one-way just seems a bit too much for me. If I was a senior staff member on a higher salary, I would have considered it.
Regular minibus taxi or cycle to work?

Randhir

Honorary Master
I would do that in most areas but this is not exactly the safest of areas.
I saw your reddit post. Are you not able to live elsewhere? Where you're staying isn't the best area, and other areas are closer and safer, like Greyville itself and Morningside.

Knyro

Honorary Master
Disgusting that that crime in SA impacts our lives to such an extent. From where we live to even having to our route to work in order to minimise the chances of getting mugged. :mad:

Hope you come right OP.

Ecko_1

I saw your reddit post. Are you not able to live elsewhere? Where you're staying isn't the best area, and other areas are closer and safer, like Greyville itself and Morningside.
True. Perhaps see if you can find a flat to rent around Avondale. We rented a 1 bedroom in 10th Ave which was 1.2km away from your destination and was safe to walk the route.

Toxic T

What about those Mynah buses? If memory serves me correctly, I did see them in North Beach and greville. Surely they must have some sort of route.