Need advice for accessing geo blocked streaming and your personal streaming setup services

Savy561

I am looking for the best way to give my entire household the most expansive streaming experience possible. The household is a big fan of anime and apart from crunchyroll and Netflix, most anime content is not available is South Africa.

My current setup is 3 ps4's for streaming and gaming with crunchyroll, netflix, prime video and torrenting + plex media server for everything that Is not available locally.

I would like to do away with torrenting as locating certain content can be a pain and just torrenting in general can be very sketchy. I have tried the vpn route but it can be a pain to setup for an entire household simply for streaming and not everyone want's to watch off a pc or deal with constant captcha verifications or the cat and mouse game with streaming services and vpn's.

I have tried a few smart dns services but they can be a bit glitchy and untrustworthy with how much you trust them with your data, this is something I would like advice on if anyone else is currently using a smart dns service and has some insight with reliability and support for consoles?

So... I would like to ask if everyone can post their streaming setup here.
Are you happy with just DSTV?
Are you happy with everything locally and have no need to look further?
Or do you use a vpn to access your streaming content?

Please post below.

Thor

Honorary Master
Get a smart dns subscription this will allow you to unlock geo locked content and you can configure the devices individually or network wide on the router. Very easy I'll help youbl set it up.

It's DNS based so no speed implications like you get via a VPN. IE no latency issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
My current setup is that I have DSTV premium, but in all honesty I only watch it for the news and the sport.

I then have a roku ultra box in the lounge and two amazon fire sticks in the bedrooms (although I am looking at replacing them with other Roku devices).

I have a smartdnsproxy account setup on my router and so all the devices in the house will reroute through the Smartdnsproxy giving them all access to the overseas content.

I currently have subscriptions to

CBS All Access
Netflix (which I watch the US library)
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Plex

and used to have disney+ and showtime (But I stopped the subs because I was not watching that much of them at the time).

The setup works well for me and you can get crunchyroll and funimation on the Roku app store

Savy561

My current setup is that I have DSTV premium, but in all honesty I only watch it for the news and the sport.

I then have a roku ultra box in the lounge and two amazon fire sticks in the bedrooms (although I am looking at replacing them with other Roku devices).

I have a smartdnsproxy account setup on my router and so all the devices in the house will reroute through the Smartdnsproxy giving them all access to the overseas content.

I currently have subscriptions to

CBS All Access
Netflix (which I watch the US library)
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Plex

and used to have disney+ and showtime (But I stopped the subs because I was not watching that much of them at the time).

The setup works well for me and you can get crunchyroll and funimation on the Roku app store
I have tried to use smartdnsproxy before and it did work fine but every hour or 2 it would completley stop working and I would have to restart the device and eventually I got fed up with it. Also had an issue where crunchyroll would occasionally give an error stating I am using a blacklisted ip address. Also tried getflix and that also worked fine but had issues with disney plus and after back and forth support for a week I gave up on them.

Looking into cactus dns and smarty dns at the moment.

Thor

Honorary Master
@ISP cash cow does your netflix work fine with smartdnsproxy? Last I used them, netflix gave proxy errors.
Netflix on where?

Via chromecast, Alexa, home you will need to configure the router to take over routing of port 53.

Playstation 3 is fine, 4 you will need router

PC is fine, mac you will need router level control.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
@ISP cash cow does your netflix work fine with smartdnsproxy? Last I used them, netflix gave proxy errors.

yes Netflix US on my Roku (You have to set up a US roku account which you just use a VPN when you create the account) and on my smartdnsproxy account.

The reason why I want to switch my Amazon firesticks for Roku devices is because my firesticks are able to pick up the American US shows but if you click on one (which is not supported in South Africa) It somehow picks up that I am using an unblocker or proxy and then I have to use a VPN on the devices in conjunction with the smartdns.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have tried to use smartdnsproxy before and it did work fine but every hour or 2 it would completley stop working and I would have to restart the device and eventually I got fed up with it. Also had an issue where crunchyroll would occasionally give an error stating I am using a blacklisted ip address. Also tried getflix and that also worked fine but had issues with disney plus and after back and forth support for a week I gave up on them.

Looking into cactus dns and smarty dns at the moment.
Not sure when you last used them but the two smart DNS services you mention work just fine these days with Netflix and Disney/Hulu. Can't comment on crunchyroll.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Not to hijack thread, but has anyone got their Firesticks to work with US Netflix? I am using getflix and everything works on all devices except the firestick. all my devices get getflix DNS servers as their DNS via DHCP.

Also thinking of dumping mines and switching to Apple TVs cos everything works perfectly on them.

The Door

Honorary Master
I am looking for the best way to give my entire household the most expansive streaming experience possible. The household is a big fan of anime and apart from crunchyroll and Netflix, most anime content is not available is South Africa.

My current setup is 3 ps4's for streaming and gaming with crunchyroll, netflix, prime video and torrenting + plex media server for everything that Is not available locally.

I would like to do away with torrenting as locating certain content can be a pain and just torrenting in general can be very sketchy. I have tried the vpn route but it can be a pain to setup for an entire household simply for streaming and not everyone want's to watch off a pc or deal with constant captcha verifications or the cat and mouse game with streaming services and vpn's.

I have tried a few smart dns services but they can be a bit glitchy and untrustworthy with how much you trust them with your data, this is something I would like advice on if anyone else is currently using a smart dns service and has some insight with reliability and support for consoles?

So... I would like to ask if everyone can post their streaming setup here.
Are you happy with just DSTV?
Are you happy with everything locally and have no need to look further?
Or do you use a vpn to access your streaming content?

Please post below.
DSTV and Kodi.
Kodi streams torrents and has Exodus Redux among others:
  1. Ares Anime (Working)
  2. WatchNixtoons (Working)
  3. SoggySandwich (Working | PTOM Repo)
  4. 9Anime (Working)
  5. Brettus Anime (Working)
  6. Exodus Redux (Working)
  7. Funimation (Working | Subscription Required)
  8. Anime On Demand (Working | Subscription Needed)
  9. Masterani (Works For Some People)
  10. YouTube (Working)
  11. Chocolate Salty Balls (Working)
  12. Cartoons On (Working | Requires OL Pair)
Kodi running on Raspberry Pi in my case but I believe Nvidia Shield is the premium experience.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
DSTV and Kodi.
Kodi streams torrents and has Exodus Redux among others:
  1. Ares Anime (Working)
  2. WatchNixtoons (Working)
  3. SoggySandwich (Working | PTOM Repo)
  4. 9Anime (Working)
  5. Brettus Anime (Working)
  6. Exodus Redux (Working)
  7. Funimation (Working | Subscription Required)
  8. Anime On Demand (Working | Subscription Needed)
  9. Masterani (Works For Some People)
  10. YouTube (Working)
  11. Chocolate Salty Balls (Working)
  12. Cartoons On (Working | Requires OL Pair)
Kodi running on Raspberry Pi in my case but I believe Nvidia Shield is the premium experience.
I have Kodi on my nVidia Shield, signed up for the lifetime offer on Keepsolid VPN Unlimited ($40). I set up my VPN to use the Netflix settings (USA). Works fine for me. Some apps on the Shield have to be loaded with a bit of a work around (need to get something like APKPure to get apps not on the store). In Kodi I use my Real debrid account for premium links and I use Diggz Xenon Plus build. Plenty on offer in the Xenon build.

I don't watch Anime but there is a section for it in Xenon..
1593494725024.png

1593494756852.png