Need advice on which car to buy

oscarlets

Hi.

I need to buy a car. Budget between R50k and R90k

My needs are low fuel consumption and low maintenance.

I am tempted to go for either around 2005 to present ford ranger double cab selling at less than R100k or around 2005 toyota double cab. If lucky recent years. Selling at less than R100k.

I saw them on cars.co.za

Is this advisable? This are over 10 years 4x4

Or

Go for chevrolet utility 1.4 (2013-present model)

Or

Toyota Yaris (2008 to present models)

My budget is between R60k and R90k or R1500 pm

What is your advice?

Your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Hi.

I need to buy a car. Budget between R50k and R90k

I am tempted to go for either around 2005 to present ford ranger double cab selling at less than R100k or around 2005 toyota double cab. If lucky recent years. Selling at less than R100k.

I saw them on cars.co.za

Is this advisable? This are over 10 years 4x4

Or

Go for chevrolet utility 1.4 (2013-present model)

Or

Toyota Yaris (2008 to present models)

My budget is between R60k and R90k or R1500 pm

What is your advice?

Your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Low maintenance and the Ford double cab doesn't compute. That thing is 12 years old and things are going to break, if it's not already broken.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Yeah going double cab with that budget isn't a great idea.

Rather set your sights lower.

Purply

Expert Member
Low maintenance and the Ford double cab doesn't compute. That thing is 12 years old and things are going to break, if it's not already broken.

Plus they extremely heavy on petrol, mostly anything bakkie related as well if they older than 10 years

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Just watch out some of yaris models did not have AC as standard. Might end paying for car without AC lol

I would go for yaris 1.3,runx 1.4/1.6,jazz or a I20.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
You can find Picanto's or i10's with some warranty left for that budget.

oscarlets

Yeah going double cab with that budget isn't a great idea.

Rather set your sights lower.

Thanks. Chevy utility? I saw it on junk mail at R45k 2011 model. Good to be true? What can go wrong with 2011 Utility?

konfab

Honorary Master

Why would you go for a double cab then? :erm:

You want a low maintenance, low fuel consumption car , get something that only has a small engine and the bare essentials.

I bought my Toyota Aygo with 55000km on the clock for R85k. The model I have has all the safety feature you need, but doesn't have things that can break like central locking and electric windows.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I myself was looking for a daily runner around the R90k mark, and recall seeing quite a few recent Picantos/i10s with warranties still left on them.

Unfortunately I've had other priorities to deal with so that idea had to take a back seat. But you get a lot of car for your money with these two compared to the Yaris...

oscarlets

Why would you go for a double cab then? :erm:

You want a low maintenance, low fuel consumption car , get something that only has a small engine and the bare essentials.

I bought my Toyota Aygo with 55000km on the clock for R85k. The model I have has all the safety feature you need, but doesn't have things that can break like central locking and electric windows.

Thanks. I will try to find good deal on the Aygo. I assume it meets all my requirements, fuel and maintenance wise.

oscarlets

I myself was looking for a daily runner around the R90k mark, and recall seeing quite a few recent Picantos/i10s with warranties still left on them.

Unfortunately I've had other priorities to deal with so that idea had to take a back seat. But you get a lot of car for your money with these two compared to the Yaris...

Ja neh. Sounds like good cars. I will check them out.

konfab

Honorary Master
Thanks. I will try to find good deal on the Aygo. I assume it meets all my requirements, fuel and maintenance wise.

Fuel economy on mine is about 5.54 l/100km (I sit in lots of traffic, so it isn't as low as it should be).

The last service I did cost about R2800.