Need advice with regards to ISP refusing to allow other ISP's from providing services

Hi,

I've recently moved into a new apartment complex and it came with some infrastructure installed. The problem is that the provider that did this refuses to allow any other ISP to provide services to us so now we have to pay R999 ex VAT for a lousy 10Mbps uncapped line (they say its unshaped and not throttled but who says the exchange can handle that type of load from a 100+ apartment complex). The reason we're in this mess is because the developers had an agreement with these guys to install infrastructure and provide services, and they've now handed this over to the body corp. We've basically inherited a monopoly. Is there any way we can combat this? Fibre is coming to my area and I'm eager to see it installed in my complex but with these guys blocking the way, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that.

Looney

Expert Member
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new apartment complex and it came with some infrastructure installed. The problem is that the provider that did this refuses to allow any other ISP to provide services to us so now we have to pay R999 ex VAT for a lousy 10Mbps uncapped line (they say its unshaped and not throttled but who says the exchange can handle that type of load from a 100+ apartment complex). The reason we're in this mess is because the developers had an agreement with these guys to install infrastructure and provide services, and they've now handed this over to the body corp. We've basically inherited a monopoly. Is there any way we can combat this? Fibre is coming to my area and I'm eager to see it installed in my complex but with these guys blocking the way, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that.
Wait I’m confused, do you have ADSL? If you have Telkom ADSL then as far as I’m aware the ISP cannot force you to use them. All you need to do is sign up with any ISP you want and change the username and password in your modem.

Wait I’m confused, do you have ADSL? If you have Telkom ADSL then as far as I’m aware the ISP cannot force you to use them. All you need to do is sign up with any ISP you want and change the username and password in your modem.
Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if it is ADSL as they have installed their own infrastructure and they don't specifically say they offer ADSL, only Internet Services. We asked them about other ISP's and they said that they would not allow it. I'm guessing my first thing would be to find out what kind of internet services they are providing.