PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Hey guys, could you give me some tips/answers to the worries I have about studying at UNISA for an undergrad IT qualification (I'm going to study for a Diploma in IT, starting in 2022).

The worries:
1. How many subjects should I take in my first year? While yes, I'm going to study full-time, I'm worried that I'm going to overload myself if I go for a maximum of 10 subjects. I want to finish the diploma within 3 - 4 years, so I don't want to take only 4 - 5 subjects (which will cause that finishing the diploma will take me much longer). I thought that 7 - 8 subjects are the sweet spot?

1629881915272.png

2. What would the costs be of my first year, cause this table below confuses me a bit? 1629881535968.png

3. I want to keep my current study schedule that I used for my short courses, essentially it's like this
  • 08:00 - 12:00 and 14:00 to 16:00/16:30/17:00 (Monday to Thursday)
  • 08:00 - 12:00 (Friday)
yet UNISA recommends 8 hours per week per subject, so I'm not sure how I might adjust my timetable or if I can keep it as it is?

4. How do the semesters and exams work? Can you choose how many subjects you can take in a semester? Can you choose when you want to write exams or how does that work?

I will also appreciate any other advice as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
That should be 8 subjects for the year right? So 4 per semester? So what, 32 hours a week if you do 8 hours per subject. What's the problem here?

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Yes

I just want to get my bearings in order

Well, I mean, I you're really working 8 hours per week per subject, then sure. I highly doubt that though, at least some of the subjects will take up less time. You definitely have spare time to take the maximum of 10 subjects. I think. I know of people that worked full-time and did 4 subjects per semester.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I am relying on 6 year old knowledge here to answer some Q's. So I may be wrong.

1. It's up to you but what I did was: Amount of modules / years I wanted to finish. It's not all black and white though, as near the end things may get harder. It's also a good idea to google the module codes and see if you can guage the difficulty of each. I tried mixing up easy and difficult ones so I wasn't stuck in semesters of hell. You could always take on the amount you have planned for the first semester, then adjust things if you found yourself with more extra time than you expected next semester.

2. Not sure. I think you can slap the module codes in here to get an idea though: http://www2.unisa.ac.za/aol/asp/srrqn01c.asp?system=SOL

3. Each person handles things differently. They are not wrong with the 8h per week per module suggestion. I didn't manage to get near that and I fell behind every semester very fast. I blame willpower and work :D If you stick to your timetable you should manage.

4. I remember way back when there being possibilities of exam conflicts. To be honest I don't think I can answer this.

There is or was a very active Unisa thread. Folks there may be able to help more.

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
1. It's up to you but what I did was: Amount of modules / years I wanted to finish. It's not all black and white though, as near the end things may get harder. It's also a good idea to google the module codes and see if you can guage the difficulty of each. I tried mixing up easy and difficult ones so I wasn't stuck in semesters of hell. You could always take on the amount you have planned for the first semester, then adjust things if you found yourself with more extra time than you expected next semester.
Ok thx, will check it out
2. Not sure. I think you can slap the module codes in here to get an idea though: http://www2.unisa.ac.za/aol/asp/srrqn01c.asp?system=SOL
That's also the problem, it doesn't work at all. Not this one or the myUNISA one
3. Each person handles things differently. They are not wrong with the 8h per week per module suggestion. I didn't manage to get near that and I fell behind every semester very fast. I blame willpower and work :D If you stick to your timetable you should manage.
Ok, cool, then I'll keep my timetable as is then
There is or was a very active Unisa thread. Folks there may be able to help more.
Should I just copy my original post and post it there then?

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Well, I mean, I you're really working 8 hours per week per subject, then sure. I highly doubt that though, at least some of the subjects will take up less time. You definitely have spare time to take the maximum of 10 subjects.
I mean, I guess some will take up less time and I could try to push for 10... But still, I'd rather not risk it. And I also still want to make time for leisure and family obligations

psradebe

I am currently doing the BSc in Computing and will be changing to BSc Informatics next year. Doing my second year already.

1. One thing to note, UNISA has moved all CS modules to year modules this year. It seems like it's going to be a permanent change going forward. For this year, every student is writing exams now in October/November. If you are to take 10 modules, just know you will be writing all exams next October/November.

I did 8 modules last year and doing 6 this year then I will be halfway. If you are planning to finish in a max of 4 years then 8 modules per year would do.

2. Each year module is R1712.00 for this year.
1632775825304.png
This is from my statement.

3. The content is not that bad, the assignments are what would keep you busy most of the time. I have one module this year with 11 Assignments. :ROFL:

4. You cannot choose the exam date. Everyone writes at the same time unless you have conflicts then you will be granted a session with students doing the supplementary exams.

Gozado

Try to get hold of the content (study guides?) of at least some of the subjects/modules, and read roughly what is required for each chapter.
If someone who is already studying would give you an idea of the dates of the assignments, too, then you'd be able to estimate how your time plan would work.

Try to find someone as a kind of buddy on the journey. This could be another student directly to do with your studies, or else a completely independent person who is also busy and has tasks to accomplish. When you're having a slow day, it can help to phone or mail that person to say: "I'm supposed to read three chapters and write a paper. What are you working on?" and then agree to call each other two hours later, and tell each other how much progress you've made. This kind of accountability can be very motivating, and keep one on track.

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
I am currently doing the BSc in Computing and will be changing to BSc Informatics next year. Doing my second year already.

1. One thing to note, UNISA has moved all CS modules to year modules this year. It seems like it's going to be a permanent change going forward. For this year, every student is writing exams now in October/November. If you are to take 10 modules, just know you will be writing all exams next October/November.
I just want to make sure, the CS modules are the ICT-prefixed subjects right? But ok, the exam thing is also something to consider.
I did 8 modules last year and doing 6 this year then I will be halfway. If you are planning to finish in a max of 4 years then 8 modules per year would do.
Mmm, I also thought that 8 might be the sweet spot for the first year.
View attachment 1155604
Ok, so these are just the study fees? Cool, just need to calculate book costs then.
3. The content is not that bad, the assignments are what would keep you busy most of the time. I have one module this year with 11 Assignments. :ROFL:
Lmao, I'd rather do assignments than writing exams constantly.
You cannot choose the exam date. Everyone writes at the same time unless you have conflicts then you will be granted a session with students doing the supplementary exams.
Ok, another good thing to know.

Thx man, your post was really insightful!

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Try to get hold of the content (study guides?) of at least some of the subjects/modules, and read roughly what is required for each chapter.
I've browsed through BSM1501 a bit, doesn't seem too horrible. Also found two exam papers, I was shocked to see it's all multiple choice, lol.
Try to find someone as a kind of buddy on the journey.
Does UNISA have Whatsapp groups for every qualification, lol? But ok, I get what you're saying

psradebe

I've browsed through BSM1501 a bit, doesn't seem too horrible. Also found two exam papers, I was shocked to see it's all multiple choice, lol.

Does UNISA have Whatsapp groups for every qualification, lol? But ok, I get what you're saying
The is a huge Telegram community at UNISA, you can use this to check out the modules and content.

I explained how to get in here LINK

Neptuner

Expert Member

View attachment 1155604

4. You cannot choose the exam date. Everyone writes at the same time unless you have conflicts then you will be granted a session with students doing the supplementary exams.
Hi

I'm interested in transitioning from my current career in Mechanical Engineering to Information Systems / Computer Science by completing either a BSc in Informatics / Computing.

May I ask why have you change from Computing to Informatics?

psradebe

Hi

I'm interested in transitioning from my current career in Mechanical Engineering to Information Systems / Computer Science by completing either a BSc in Informatics / Computing.

May I ask why have you change from Computing to Informatics?
To change a qualification you need to do a new application for admission. Note that applications for 2022 are closing on the 15th of October 2021.

I have been accepted for Informatics already. Will finish up this year and apply for exemption for the modules I have already done.

Lucky for me, the 14 modules I have already done/doing are also offered by the BSc Informatics qualification.

Neptuner

Expert Member
To change a qualification you need to do a new application for admission. Note that applications for 2022 are closing on the 15th of October 2021.

I have been accepted for Informatics already. Will finish up this year and apply for exemption for the modules I have already done.

Lucky for me, the 14 modules I have already done/doing are also offered by the BSc Informatics qualification.
Thanks for sharing. However I'm at crossways in deciding between Informatics/Computing. I see you've opted to change. I'm sure it was well thought through.

Aghori

Honorary Master
You can do 10 modules per year easily. Cost is R1712 approx per module. Most/All are year-modules, meaning you write exams only in Oct/Nov for each module.

Join the Unisa Telegram group and the group for each module as well. Lots of assignment/subject help and info there.

psradebe

Thanks for sharing. However I'm at crossways in deciding between Informatics/Computing. I see you've opted to change. I'm sure it was well thought through.
Only realized after registration that some of the modules are similar to modules I did with my Electrical Engineering Degree but UNISA does not want to credit them (Not planning to code in Assembler and Go through Algebra/Calculus again :ROFL: ). Informatics would introduce me to new concepts like Accounting and Business Management.

The advice @Gozado mentioned is valuable. Go through the material and familiarize yourself with it, you will then choose the qualification based on what to expect and your long-term goals.

Curriculum:
BSc Informatics [LINK]
BSc Computing [LINK]

Also, explore Job Titles associated with each qualification to help make the decision
Job Titles Per Qualification [LINK]

callen

Only realized after registration that some of the modules are similar to modules I did with my Electrical Engineering Degree but UNISA does not want to credit them (Not planning to code in Assembler and Go through Algebra/Calculus again :ROFL: ). Informatics would introduce me to new concepts like Accounting and Business Management.

The advice @Gozado mentioned is valuable. Go through the material and familiarize yourself with it, you will then choose the qualification based on what to expect and your long-term goals.

Curriculum:
BSc Informatics [LINK]
BSc Computing [LINK]

Also, explore Job Titles associated with each qualification to help make the decision
Job Titles Per Qualification [LINK]
Wow I also did the same. I did electronic engineering. I then changed to BSc in Computer Science. Now currently doing BSc in Informatics.

retromodcoza

Do the max subjects you can per semester in this case. You know why?

If these were 3rd year subjects my advice would be different, but the key is "introduction to" and "1A". That's all over your subjects. If you're reasonably bright and work at a casual pace you will cream these subjects and the volume of work they require. Your social life won't suffer either.

I did 14 subjects in my 3rd year IS degree to finish the thing in time. It was supposed to be 10, but they split two of the courses into half courses at the last minute. It was pretty tough , and there were some hairy moments, but I got through.

UKZN policy then was max 6 subjects per semester then, with 4 being the default. I signed up for 6 and they automatically added the other 2. I think their policy is a good one. More than 6 becomes a crunch if they are more involved.